PDA

View Full Version : Rank Theses Bikes From Best to Worst

Rich
July 16th 03, 09:31 AM
I am in the market for an entry level road bike. How do these bikes rank?
Trek 1000
Specialized Alez Sport
Swinn Fastback Sport
Raleigh Grand Sport

Any input will be appreciated.

Ruger9
July 16th 03, 11:37 AM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:31:18 GMT, "Rich" > wrote:

>I am in the market for an entry level road bike. How do these bikes rank?
>Trek 1000
>Specialized Alez Sport
>Swinn Fastback Sport
>Raleigh Grand Sport
>
>Any input will be appreciated.

In that price range, you might want to check out a couple of house
brand bikes: you'll get a better component level for your $$.

SuperGo Scattante (R-650)

Performance Bike Forte

Ruger9

Rick Warner
July 16th 03, 02:16 PM

#1 - the one that fits best/feels best when you ride it.

#2-4 the rest

Get out and test ride, your body will tell you which is best.

- rick

bfd
July 16th 03, 05:59 PM
(Ruger9) wrote in message >...
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:31:18 GMT, "Rich" > wrote:
>
> >I am in the market for an entry level road bike. How do these bikes rank?
> >Trek 1000
> >Specialized Alez Sport
> >Swinn Fastback Sport
> >Raleigh Grand Sport
> >
> >Any input will be appreciated.
>
> In that price range, you might want to check out a couple of house
> brand bikes: you'll get a better component level for your $$.
>
> SuperGo Scattante (R-650)
>
> Performance Bike Forte

More important than *brand* is FIT. Find a good bike shop that knows
how to do fitting. Why? If the bike doesn't fit, you won't ride. A
good shop should be able to measure you for things like top tube
length, stem height and length, seat post height, saddle setback. The
shop should also be willing to swap things like stems, saddles and
handlebars to fit you. All the name brands you mentioned, plus others
like Bianchi, Cannondale and others will have bikes at your price
point. Find a good shop and develop a relationship is very important.

Alternatively, if you're planning on touring or rec/sports riding,
another bike that might fit the bill is the Romulus by Rivendell. Its
probably more expensive than what you're looking at, but for under
$1600, you get a very, very nice bike. For more see here:

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/bikes_romulusframes.html

or here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/romulus/

Jkpoulos7
July 16th 03, 09:35 PM
>How do these bikes rank?
>Trek 1000
>Specialized Alez Sport
>Swinn Fastback Sport
>Raleigh Grand Sport

You have them in the order I'd pick. However you forgot some other bikes at
that price that may be better deals- Fuji has some at www.bikesdirect.com .
All you listed have aluminum frames and will deliver a harsh ride (Even my wife
says my Lemond is like a Cadillac compared to her Allez Sport)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home