PDA

View Full Version : Re: Rim strength vs tire pressure question


Mike Kruger
July 19th 03, 07:13 AM
"archer" > wrote in message
...
> My old Schwinn LeTank has been running for at least the last 20 years on
> the same set of tires, and they have served me well. Now that I've been
> riding more (over the last two years), they have finally reached the end
> of their useful life. They are Schwinn branded 27 by 1-1/4 tires rated
> at 85 psi, which is where I keep them.
>
> The rims are steel and are in good condition, with only a very few tiny
> rust spots on the inner surface (toward the hub). Am I likely to be safe
> putting some smaller, higher-pressure tires in the 100 - 120 psi range on
> these rims to reduce my rolling resistance, or should I stick to the
> larger 80 - 90 psi tires?

1. Make sure you have "normal" rims, not the Schwinn proprietary rim design
that needs special tires.
Any LBS that used to have "Schwinn" in the name can tell.

2. In some cases, there can be problems with the tires failing to hold the
rim, even if it's a "normal" rim.
I suffered from this on old steel rims even at 90 psi, and finally just
pitched them and got new aluminum rims. (They are a lot safer in the rain,
as well.)

3. Can you even get 120 psi tires in a 27 inch size any more? What's
available from whom?

Harris
July 19th 03, 01:00 PM
"Eric S. Sande" wrote:
> On the other hand complete new wheels could be cheaper.
>
> If it isn't then look at Conti TT2Ks in 27 inch as an option for
> new tires. Expensive but they will last a while.
>
> They won't be racing tires but they will be durable.

Or IRC Road Winner available in 27 x 1-1/8" or 27 x 1-1/4" for about $13.
These are good tires and will wear well.

Art Harris

Eric S. Sande
July 19th 03, 01:37 PM
>Or IRC Road Winner available in 27 x 1-1/8" or 27 x 1-1/4" for about
>$13. These are good tires and will wear well.

They aren't dead yet, But it's coming fast for 27, you'd better buy
up all those quality tires fast before it all flakes out.

:-)


--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------

Tom Sherman
July 20th 03, 01:00 AM
Chris Phillipo wrote:
>
> There will always be 27" tires available but they will be $5-10$ tires
> and you get what you pay for.

I saw some of these in a hardware/agricultural supply store not too long
ago.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
July 20th 03, 02:33 AM
Tom Sherman wrote in message >...
>
>I saw some of these in a hardware/agricultural supply store not too long
>ago.

Shopping for the bent again, I see.

Anyway, while you were checking out the latest in
3/4 inch hose clamps and zinc coated lag screws
with the other guys in cheap t-shirts and John Deere
baseball caps I was in shops like La Bicicletta and
Campione talking Campy Record and with Giuseppe
and Paul wearing my cotton team Cantina / Tollo cycling
cap and my nubuc -high NBS vulcanized sole Oakley
smoke amphibious breathable architecture sandals!

Now do you see the huge gulf between benters and
elite level roadies like Me?

Tom Sherman
July 20th 03, 03:13 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
>
> Tom Sherman wrote in message >...
> >
> >I saw some of these in a hardware/agricultural supply store not too long
> >ago.
>
> Shopping for the bent again, I see.
>
> Anyway, while you were checking out the latest in
> 3/4 inch hose clamps and zinc coated lag screws
> with the other guys in cheap t-shirts and John Deere
> baseball caps I was in shops like La Bicicletta and
> Campione talking Campy Record and with Giuseppe
> and Paul wearing my cotton team Cantina / Tollo cycling
> cap and my nubuc -high NBS vulcanized sole Oakley
> smoke amphibious breathable architecture sandals!
>
> Now do you see the huge gulf between benters and
> elite level roadies like Me?

Yes, I see the difference. If you came around here dressed like that and
started talking trash about John Deere, you would get your butt kicked
by the locals. ;)

By the way, us sophisticated 'benters' refer to them as Jubilee clips,
not hose clamps. Such ignorance.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Home of Deere & Company)

Mike Latondresse
July 20th 03, 10:54 PM
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" > wrote in
. ca:

> I was in shops like La Bicicletta and
> Campione
>
Il Campione Fab, Il Campione. Ya gotta get the details right.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home