PDA

View Full Version : Why buy at LBS?


The Causey Way
July 23rd 03, 02:24 PM
Ok, I love to support my LBS but when it comes to clothes, I'm forced to go
online to the discount stores. Why should I pay $80+ for a jersey when I can
get two for $50 at Perfomance? I've worn Performance clothes for several
years now with no complaints. So why do people buy name brand? What am I
missing? It's an honest question.

Karen M.
July 23rd 03, 09:20 PM
Causey wrote:
> Ok, I love to support my LBS but when it comes to clothes, I'm forced to go
> online to the discount stores. Why should I pay $80+ for a jersey when I can
> get two for $50 at Perfomance? I've worn Performance clothes for several
> years now with no complaints. So why do people buy name brand? What am I
> missing? It's an honest question.

Jerseys cost way too much, IMHO. $75 for a shirt with pockets??
With a bunch of advertising all over it???
This is backwards. They should pay me to wear their billboard, not
the other way around.
Besides, most of the designs are ugly and/or not conspicuous. If
I'm forking over anything more than $20 for a cycling top it's going
to be loud enough to be seen a long ways away, TYVM. Dark blue and
cutesy puns and lettering/logos do not fall into this category. Ain't
no gendarmes closing my streets.
HTH

--Karen M.
making some new neon cycling clothes with $2/yd from Wally World

Bill Davidson
July 23rd 03, 09:25 PM
The Causey Way wrote:
> Ok, I love to support my LBS but when it comes to clothes, I'm forced to go
> online to the discount stores. Why should I pay $80+ for a jersey when I can
> get two for $50 at Perfomance? I've worn Performance clothes for several
> years now with no complaints. So why do people buy name brand? What am I
> missing? It's an honest question.

I'm with you on this one.

I've never paid more than $25 for a jersey. I just won't do it.
All of my cycling specific clothing is from either Performance
or Nashbar. I see no reason to pay more and I certainly don't
want to be a billboard for some team that isn't paying me.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
July 23rd 03, 11:03 PM
Karen M. wrote in message >...
> Besides, most of the designs are ugly and/or not conspicuous. If
>I'm forking over anything more than $20 for a cycling top it's going
>to be loud enough to be seen a long ways away, TYVM. Dark blue and
>cutesy puns and lettering/logos do not fall into this category. Ain't
>no gendarmes closing my streets.

How can you look at yourself in the mirror without feeling
ashamed?

I bet I look way better than you, at least I wear team
Fassa Bortolo, Cofidis, Gerolsteiner, Alessio,Sidermec,
Milenaza, CCC-Polsat, Phonak, Landbouwkrediet, Palmans-
Collstrop, Kelme, and Ag2r gear.

Look, don't questions things, just wear the kit and get on
with it.

Long live Nalini.

Don't be a FRED. ( or ride a damn bent )

Bill Davidson
July 23rd 03, 11:14 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
> How can you look at yourself in the mirror without feeling
> ashamed?

How can you? I'd be ashamed to wear team jerseys without getting
paid by the team.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
July 23rd 03, 11:29 PM
Bill Davidson wrote in message ...

>How can you? I'd be ashamed to wear team jerseys without getting
>paid by the team.
>

Well, I've never mentioned 'jersey' per sa.

What you must do is wear your own team/club jersey,
then assosorsize(sp?) with pro team gear that goes
well with your own team jersey.

I have several different real team jerseys that have been
issued to me over the years, I add the pro gear
like gloves, socks, caps, helmet, bib shorts, etc
that match well.

For this year's team jersey I have had really great
results with adding team Kelme and team Milenaza.

The other day I was looking so good with my team
Milenaza kit that I had to make a 20km detour just
so I could ride by these super long greenhouses
that are growing seedlings for stupid trees or something.
Anyway, it's awesome, I got a profile view of myself that
lasted for hundreds and hundreds of meters.

The green side panel of Milenaza is perfect for the
green side panel of my team jersey.

I'm sure glad I'm not you.

Bill Davidson
July 24th 03, 12:44 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
> I'm sure glad I'm not you.

Not nearly as glad as I am.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

James Messick
July 24th 03, 02:28 AM
"The Causey Way" <[email protected]> wrote in message
...
> Ok, I love to support my LBS but when it comes to clothes, I'm forced to
go
> online to the discount stores. Why should I pay $80+ for a jersey when I
can
> get two for $50 at Perfomance? I've worn Performance clothes for several
> years now with no complaints. So why do people buy name brand? What am I
> missing? It's an honest question.

Buy your bike there. Have work done there that you can't do yourself. Buy
anything you must have right away there. Buy anything that you evaluate
there there. Buy everything else as cheaply as you can.

Zippy the Pinhead
July 24th 03, 03:15 AM
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" > wrote in message
. ca...
> I bet I look way better than you, at least I wear team
> Fassa Bortolo,

Only Fab's says Bassa Fartolo.

Robert Oliver
July 24th 03, 03:00 PM
> Why should I pay $80+ for a jersey when I can
> get two for $50 at Perfomance?

Who said you had to?

> So why do people buy name brand?

Because they want to.

> What am I missing? It's an honest question.

Apparently nothing. It's all about choice. Do what you want, and don't worry
about other people :)

F. Golightly
July 24th 03, 08:18 PM
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" >

> How can you look at yourself in the mirror without feeling
> ashamed?
>
> I bet I look way better than you, at least I wear team
snipped --- >

If you want to look like a sidewalk billboard and not get paid for it... go
for it Ms. Mozzarella.

fwiw

F. Golightly
July 24th 03, 08:20 PM
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" >
>
> I'm sure glad I'm not you.

*Everyone's* ...glad they're not you.

hth

Karen M.
July 24th 03, 08:45 PM
Bill wrote:
> I'm with you on this one.
>
> I've never paid more than $25 for a jersey. I just won't do it.
> All of my cycling specific clothing is from either Performance
> or Nashbar. I see no reason to pay more and I certainly don't
> want to be a billboard for some team that isn't paying me.

Even worse:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2743593452&category=52

RT plane ticket to Ride to the Roses: maybe $250
Entry fee: $50 (or is it $100?)
Waiting in line of have Lance sign whatever: priceless

--Karen M.
bargain hunter

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
July 25th 03, 01:03 AM
F. Golightly wrote in message ...
>go for it Ms. Mozzarella.

Thanks, FRED.

Zippy the Pinhead
July 25th 03, 02:02 AM
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:03:38 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
> wrote:

>
>F. Golightly wrote in message ...
>>go for it Ms. Mozzarella.
>
>Thanks, FRED.

It's a little-known fact that Fabrizio is Italian for "Fred".

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
July 25th 03, 02:31 AM
Zippy the Pinhead wrote in message ...

>
>It's a little-known fact that Fabrizio is Italian for "Fred".

I think not, guys like Cipollini and Garzelli wouldn't
have any FREDS for training partners!

Peter Cole
July 25th 03, 01:30 PM
"The Causey Way" <[email protected]> wrote in message
...
> Ok, I love to support my LBS but when it comes to clothes, I'm forced to go
> online to the discount stores. Why should I pay $80+ for a jersey when I can
> get two for $50 at Perfomance? I've worn Performance clothes for several
> years now with no complaints. So why do people buy name brand? What am I
> missing? It's an honest question.

At the LBS you get to try things on. Perhaps you get to actually talk to
someone who knows a little about clothing. As for name brands, often the
quality is much higher. In the long run, I'd rather have fewer pieces of nice
stuff. When you factor in durability, the average cost is similar.

The Causey Way
July 25th 03, 02:42 PM
"Robert Oliver" > wrote in message
...
> > Why should I pay $80+ for a jersey when I can
> > get two for $50 at Perfomance?
>
> Who said you had to?
>
> > So why do people buy name brand?
>
> Because they want to.
>
> > What am I missing? It's an honest question.
>
> Apparently nothing. It's all about choice. Do what you want, and don't
worry
> about other people :)
>

You're like Fabrizio without the funny parts.

Paul Bielec
July 25th 03, 04:48 PM
Same here.
I get my clothing at www.mec.ca. They have a new store here in Montreal so I
don't have to actually buy it online.

"The Causey Way" <[email protected]> wrote in message
...
> Ok, I love to support my LBS but when it comes to clothes, I'm forced to
go
> online to the discount stores. Why should I pay $80+ for a jersey when I
can
> get two for $50 at Perfomance? I've worn Performance clothes for several
> years now with no complaints. So why do people buy name brand? What am I
> missing? It's an honest question.
>
>

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
July 28th 03, 01:06 AM
Tom Sherman wrote in message >...
>
>I don't buy most jerseys because they have the stupid pockets on the
>back where they lump up against the seatback. ;)
>
Tom, have you ever stopped and wondered why
top elite roadies like me dislike you types so
much?

Tom Sherman
July 28th 03, 03:06 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
>
> Tom Sherman wrote in message >...
> >
> >I don't buy most jerseys because they have the stupid pockets on the
> >back where they lump up against the seatback. ;)
> >
> Tom, have you ever stopped and wondered why
> top elite roadies like me dislike you types so
> much?

Fabrizio,

I know that repressing your desire to ride a recumbent bike is leading
you to be resentful of those who have the self-confidence to ignore peer
pressure and get the bike they really want. ;)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Zippy the Pinhead
July 28th 03, 05:10 AM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:06:36 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
> wrote:

>
>Tom Sherman wrote in message >...
>>
>>I don't buy most jerseys because they have the stupid pockets on the
>>back where they lump up against the seatback. ;)
>>
>Tom, have you ever stopped and wondered why
>top elite roadies like me dislike you types so
>much?

Probably because you spend so much time contemplating his seatback as
it fades into the distance before you...

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
July 28th 03, 06:17 AM
Zippy the Pinhead wrote in message ...
>
>Probably because you spend so much time contemplating his seatback as
>it fades into the distance before you...

If you mean ol Tom, then this is what he would be fading
away in:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/photos/index.cfm/id/2233/img/92811
031990104.htm

Bill Davidson
July 28th 03, 07:10 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
> Tom, have you ever stopped and wondered why
> top elite roadies like me dislike you types so
> much?

Have you ever stopped and wondered why most people dislike you so much?

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Tom Keats
July 28th 03, 07:58 AM
In article <[email protected]>,
Bill Davidson > writes:
> Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
>> Tom, have you ever stopped and wondered why
>> top elite roadies like me dislike you types so
>> much?
>
> Have you ever stopped and wondered why most people dislike you so much?

We don't dislike Fabrizio. We just realize he missed his calling,
and should have been a Downhiller, and in his own subconscious way,
so does he. So, we kind of empathize with him.

But he missed the boat by getting too old. Oh, well. At least he
might stand a chance getting into XC. There are plenty of
[accomplished] women there with which to mingle.

Hey Fabs: Core Rat! AngieWear! ... <shudder> ... Roach Clothing!
Norco Factory Team!

Any house painter can quickly make a plain jersey look like one of
those "pro" things that you like -- in no time, and without thinking
about it.

I bet you could get into Leslie Tomlinson's MTB school, learn stuff,
and clobber all the other kids in no time. Maybe you'd even end up
jeering taffy-nosed roadies as they ride by.

Too bad you're past it for DH.


cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

Zippy the Pinhead
July 29th 03, 01:23 PM
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 04:35:11 GMT, > wrote:

>> ? Because of the pent-up frustrations of being a closet gay?
>> Robin Hubert >
>
>You say that like there's something wrong with that . . . a bit "old
>school," don't ya think?

Not that there's anything wrong with THAT...

flatlander
July 29th 03, 04:40 PM
(Karen M.) wrote in message >...
> Causey wrote:
> > Ok, I love to support my LBS but when it comes to clothes, I'm forced to go
> > online to the discount stores. Why should I pay $80+ for a jersey when I can
> > get two for $50 at Perfomance? I've worn Performance clothes for several
> > years now with no complaints. So why do people buy name brand? What am I
> > missing? It's an honest question.
>
> Jerseys cost way too much, IMHO. $75 for a shirt with pockets??
> With a bunch of advertising all over it???
> This is backwards. They should pay me to wear their billboard, not
> the other way around.
> Besides, most of the designs are ugly and/or not conspicuous. If
> I'm forking over anything more than $20 for a cycling top it's going
> to be loud enough to be seen a long ways away, TYVM. Dark blue and
> cutesy puns and lettering/logos do not fall into this category. Ain't
> no gendarmes closing my streets.
> HTH
>
> --Karen M.
> making some new neon cycling clothes with $2/yd from Wally World

Ok... I know I'll get flamed to the high heavens for this post, but I
just can't resist, and this is in good humor... really. I am a mt.
biker. And I'm not saying that mt. bikers attire looks any better,
but... It seems to me that road bikers are alot like Hell's Angels
named "Alice". You want to make fun of them but don't becuase you are
afraid they'll kick your ass. Most team jersey's, shoe's, and
helmet's level of quality seems to vary directly with their utter
rediculousness of appearance. There seems to be a serious disconnect
of form vs. function when it comes to cycling. Most cyclists (begin
broad generalization) normally go for function before form, choosing
the better working over the better looking. Except, that is, when it
comes to their clothing. It is one thing to be a sponsored team
rider. But every weekend warrior I see plastered with brand logos
over a neon pink jersy and rainbow shoes makes me want to shoot
Slurpee through my nose as I try to contain myself. The pros might be
partially to blame here. What other sport would reward you for doing
well by putting you in a polka dot shirt? Maybe the motivation for
winning is to get out of your horrid teal green jersy into the almost
cool yellow one. That would be my motiviation at least. I fully
realize I'm being superficial and petty. I know that my baggy shorts
and mis-matched colors probably draw equivilant sneers from roadies.
But I can live with it.

ride on,

-FlatLander

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home