PDA

View Full Version : MUni Weekend game suggestions needed

johnfoss
August 8th 03, 11:41 PM
Okay, so we're back from NAUCC and putting together details for the 2003
California MUni Weekend. The plan is to do our traditional event at
Auburn; the Confluence uphill. But as I'm thinking of switching Auburn
and Rockville to opposite days, this will be at the very beginning of
the weekend and some people may miss it.

Rockville Hills Park has a rocky area where we can potentially do some
of the games you may have seen or heard about at the Moab MUni Fest in
March. Games that were easy to set up due to the easy ability to mark
courses with tape on the ground. Any ideas for games we could play
there? I've attached a picture of the area.

Our other games areas will be the Miller's backyard pool, and the STEP
parking lot. In the pool we will probably just ride for fun, and the
STEP parking lot is flat pavement with a loading dock and ramp. A member
of our group may build some Trials obstacles also.

Any ideas for games and contests we can do in any of these areas? Thank
you.

| Attachment filename: rockville_rocks.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/156548|

johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

johnfoss
August 8th 03, 11:42 PM
Here's the pool:

| Attachment filename: pool.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/156549|

johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

paco
August 9th 03, 02:02 AM
--It looks technical enough that maybe we wouldn't even need a speed
trials section. Maybe just count the number of dabs like in Moab. Or
maybe we could divide into divisions and have the expert division be
speed trials, while the other division is just count the dabs.
--Instead of having an ultimate wheel obstacle course, how about a wheel
walking obstacle course?
--Even though I didn't even try this one, it was fun watching the high
jump in Moab. Makes for a good photo-op as well.
--Is there any event that would equalize all (or most of) the players?
I don't know how we could manage it, but it would be fun to find an
activity that has an element of chance.
--Okay, here's an idea. I just thought it up, so you won't hurt my
feelings if you don't like it. Unicycle Twister. We have four (or
five, or six) colored circles. The competitor starts in a circle, and a
spinner is spun. Whatever color comes up, the rider has to jump into
that circle and wait there until the spinner is spun again. Then they
have to jump into that colored circle. You count the number of
successful jumps they make. They are out as soon as they leave the
circle that they are supposed to be in that round. If it's too easy,
maybe the circles get spread farther apart each time they are
successful.
--Once again, I don't know how we'd manage this, but I'd like to see a
team race/event. Maybe a relay race...
We're up to $0.06

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

"One thing is for sure. Inspector Clay is dead. Murdered. And
-somebody's- responsible!"
-Plan 9 From Outer Space
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Mojoe
August 9th 03, 05:58 AM
How about jousting?? You just need two broom handles, two foam water
noodles, two trash can lids and some duct tape.

Mojoe

| Attachment filename: veishea03_38.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/156570|

Mojoe - The Muni Militia

http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

tomblackwood
August 9th 03, 09:37 AM
Mojoe wrote:
> *How about jousting?? You just need two broom handles, two foam water
> noodles, two trash can lids and some duct tape. *

BATTLE!!!!!

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

My other brake is my face!

tomblackwood
August 9th 03, 09:49 AM
paco wrote:
> [B--Is there any event that would equalize all (or most of) the
> players? I don't know how we could manage it, but it would be fun to
> find an activity that has an element of chance.[/B]

I don't really want to think about this one, since if I'm one of "the
players", equalizing the playing field would involve some sort of
unanesthitized amputation on our favorite riders.

Wait, I just thought of one: we lay the unicycles aside, strap on the
roach pads, and have a no-holds-barred "pun-athon". That'll take the
holm-court advantage away from Kris. That'll put the heat on Dan. Under
pressure, John will make a faux pas---or would it be a Po Foss? The
masters will be dethroned, left Childsless in a world demanding
reproduction. The weepy violinists and harpers come out to play. The
lame-o riders like me will hoover up all the awards....

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

My other brake is my face!

daino149
August 9th 03, 11:38 AM
tomblackwood wrote:
> *
> I don't really want to think about this one, since if I'm one of "the
> players", equalizing the playing field would involve some sort of
> unanesthitized amputation on our favorite riders.
>
> Wait, I just thought of one: we lay the unicycles aside, strap on the
> roach pads, and have a no-holds-barred "pun-athon". That'll take the
> holm-court advantage away from Kris. That'll put the heat on Dan.
> Under pressure, John will make a faux pas---or would it be a Po Foss?
> The masters will be dethroned, left Childsless in a world demanding
> reproduction. The weepy violinists and harpers come out to play. The
> lame-o riders like me will hoover up all the awards.... *

That was brutal!

--
daino149 - One wheel to rule them all

A One That Isn't Cold Is Scardely A One At All

paco
August 11th 03, 10:19 AM
I officially pronounce TomBlackwood to be the winner of that pun-athon.
My head is still reeling!

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

"One thing is for sure. Inspector Clay is dead. Murdered. And
-somebody's- responsible!"
-Plan 9 From Outer Space
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

GILD
August 18th 03, 01:01 PM
paco wrote:
> *I think that this thread is worth salvaging. Anyone else got good
> ideas? *

i think the idea of 'unicycle twister' (hopping between coloured disks)
is one that deserves a go
u can even make it more difficult by placing the different colours on
different levels
this game should be cheap to put together, provide fair spectator-value
and be good fun

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life.
Immanuel Kant

'pleez check this out' (http://www.reuniteluna.com/)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

duaner
August 18th 03, 02:02 PM
The child's game Simon Says adds a playful element of non-unicycling
'skill' to a game. If you UPD -or- do something that wasn't "Simon
says", then you're out. Last one in 'wins'.

As the game progresses, vary the wording used, and slowly increase the
difficulty of the stunts called.

Example:

Simon says, "mount".
"Dismount". - (anyone who dismounted is out - some of the most skilled
riders may already be out of the game)

Simon says, "Dismount".
Simon says, "Mount with left foot". - (whoops, people who confused their
left and rite are out)

(... significantly later ...)

Simon says, "Mount with one foot using your rite foot into a one footed
(rite footed) idle".
Simon says, "Still idling on your rite foot, turn around once to the
left".
Simon says, "Now, idle one footed using your left foot".
"And this time turn around to the rite". - (you're out if you did)

Simon says, "Idle one footed using your left foot". - (everyone was
already idling left footed, so no one should have done anything)

etc

Hint: it may help if the caller prep's him/herself a rough list of
stunts to call ahead of time - otherwise the caller's imagination /
recall can run out before there is a winner. (just having a copy of
skill levels or standard skills might help prompt the imagination)

(I can't really take credit for this idea - I just adopted it from
juggling festivals)

--
duaner
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

jagur
August 18th 03, 06:42 PM
LOL

im not drivin for 12 hours to play simon says.....:eek:

if i can make it there i'll be pounding beers laughing at you all though
:p

Simon says: SUICIDE MOUNT!!!

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

tomblackwood
August 19th 03, 08:34 AM
GILD wrote:
> *(what was that 80's game where u had to press the lit-up buttons in
> the same sequence their lights flashed?
> i'd love to c a uni-version of that!) *

Think it was called "Simon"....

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

My other brake is my face!

GILD
August 19th 03, 09:05 AM
tomblackwood wrote:
> *
> Think it was called "Simon".... *

thank u

now, can u imagine a big unicycle-hopping version of this game?

| Attachment filename: simon.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/157730|

GILD - Waffle-tosser

Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life.
Immanuel Kant

'pleez check this out' (http://www.reuniteluna.com/)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

gerblefranklin
August 19th 03, 09:09 AM
What about demolition derby?! Last one riding wins.
Off road wheelwalking courses?
Demolition tag. In order to tag someone you have to get them to fall or
dismount. Least dismounts wins.

Simon says: Kick up mount into onefoot standup backwards coast!
Simon says: Badger whoever sucessfully did the previous trick to do it
again!
Now get pictures.

--
gerblefranklin

john_childs
August 19th 03, 09:50 PM
How about a paperboy challenge.

The basic idea is that you have a messenger bag full of rolled up
newspapers. You ride around a course and try to throw the newspapers in
to buckets along the course. The course could have obstacles along the
way, cones you have to weave through, cones you have to do a 360 around,
natural obstacles from the terrain, etc. The buckets could be placed up
in a tree, low on the ground, on a rock, anywhere to make it
challenging, etc.

It could be a timed event for the course itself and time bonuses for how
many buckets you get newspapers in.

It's amazingly challenging to try to throw newspapers in to a bucket
while you're on a unicycle.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

daino149
August 19th 03, 10:39 PM
john_childs wrote:
> *How about a paperboy challenge.
>
> The basic idea is that you have a messenger bag full of rolled up
> newspapers. You ride around a course and try to throw the newspapers
> in to buckets along the course. The course could have obstacles along
> the way, cones you have to weave through, cones you have to do a 360
> around, natural obstacles from the terrain, etc. The buckets could be
> placed up in a tree, low on the ground, on a rock, anywhere to make it
> challenging, etc.
>
> It could be a timed event for the course itself and time bonuses for
> how many buckets you get newspapers in.
>
> It's amazingly challenging to try to throw newspapers in to a bucket
> while you're on a unicycle. *

Good idea, but you also need the neighborhood dog to chase the rider
around.

Daniel

--
daino149 - One wheel to rule them all

A One That Isn't Cold Is Scardely A One At All

paco
August 20th 03, 01:20 AM
I guess we could add the price of the papers into the cost of the
weekend?

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

"One thing is for sure. Inspector Clay is dead. Murdered. And
-somebody's- responsible!"
-Plan 9 From Outer Space
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

mkuhfahl
August 20th 03, 01:59 AM
Mojoe wrote:
> *How about jousting?? You just need two broom handles, two foam water
> noodles, two trash can lids and some duct tape.
>
> Mojoe *

OOOHHH! I like this idea!! I assume you wouldn't be allowed to go after
the spokes? :-D

--
mkuhfahl
mkuhfahl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4253

johnfoss
September 30th 03, 06:52 PM
We started a new thread on this topic. Please read this first, of
course, then post to the new thread below:

http://tinyurl.com/p7fk

Thanks!

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

entozoon
October 26th 05, 11:23 PM
How about a game where two people unicycle in opposite directions, then
link arms such that they're riding in a tight circle. then you go
faster and faster and keep going and going and going until someone gets
sick or falls over or something.. that's hilarious - it's really funny
trying to unicycle when your dizzy.
Miek.

--
entozoon
entozoon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11046

abbabibble
October 26th 05, 11:31 PM
how about you take some harnesses of some kind, and some pads, and 2
munis, and tie the people together with a 10-foot bungie cord, and have
them ride in opposite directions, and see who can pull who off the uni?

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.
SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS TODAY!!!
http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
--"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home