PDA

View Full Version : Re: cramps

Doug Huffman
July 29th 03, 01:48 AM
I am not a 'doctor'. Sounds like a 'stitch'.

for a nine mile ride I'd suggest increasing water only and being a bit
patient - maybe ease off a little.

"Michael" > wrote in message
om...
> I've recently started getting cramps toward the end of my 9 mile
> commute home, on hot days (at least 90*) when I'm really working hard.
> I've been doing this commute for 8 years and have never had cramps
> before, even when the weather's hotter and I've been working at least
> as hard.
>
> These are abdominal cramps, not muscle (leg) cramps - on the front
> right right side of my body, or on the right side of my body, at about
> belly-button level, about 25 minutes into the ride.
>
> What do cramps indicate - too little water? too little salt? too
> little potassium? too little titanium on my bike?
>
> TIA,
> Michael

Jiyang Chen
July 29th 03, 02:29 AM
I get stomach cramps all the time. Probably from drinking too much liquid
at one time because I get so thirsty on hot days. Drink liquids at 5 minute
intervals instead of a huge amount at 15 minute intervals.

"Michael" > wrote in message
om...
> I've recently started getting cramps toward the end of my 9 mile
> commute home, on hot days (at least 90*) when I'm really working hard.
> I've been doing this commute for 8 years and have never had cramps
> before, even when the weather's hotter and I've been working at least
> as hard.
>
> These are abdominal cramps, not muscle (leg) cramps - on the front
> right right side of my body, or on the right side of my body, at about
> belly-button level, about 25 minutes into the ride.
>
> What do cramps indicate - too little water? too little salt? too
> little potassium? too little titanium on my bike?
>
> TIA,
> Michael

FrankH.3
July 29th 03, 04:02 AM
Michael wrote:
> I've recently started getting cramps toward the end of my 9 mile commute
> home, on hot days (at least 90*) when I'm really working hard. I've been
> doing this commute for 8 years and have never had cramps before, even
> when the weather's hotter and I've been working at least as hard.
> These are abdominal cramps, not muscle (leg) cramps - on the front right
> right side of my body, or on the right side of my body, at about
> belly-button level, about 25 minutes into the ride.
> What do cramps indicate - too little water? too little salt? too little
> potassium? too little titanium on my bike?
> TIA, Michael

Michael

I had the same problem and a friend suggested using a product called
Cvtomax. It is a powder that you mix with water and is high in potassium
and sodium (if you have a history of high blood pressure don't touch
this stuff). It is available at Performance Bicycle on the Internet and
also at GNC health food stores. It comes in a lemon-lime or fruit punch
flavors. Don't over hydrate yourself before you ride. You should use
about one bottle for every hour you ride and don't wait until you are
thirsty. Take a drink about every 5-10 minutes while riding.

Robin Hubert
July 29th 03, 04:16 AM
"Michael" > wrote in message
om...
> I've recently started getting cramps toward the end of my 9 mile
> commute home, on hot days (at least 90*) when I'm really working hard.
> I've been doing this commute for 8 years and have never had cramps
> before, even when the weather's hotter and I've been working at least
> as hard.
>
> These are abdominal cramps, not muscle (leg) cramps - on the front
> right right side of my body, or on the right side of my body, at about
> belly-button level, about 25 minutes into the ride.
>
> What do cramps indicate - too little water? too little salt? too
> little potassium? too little titanium on my bike?

I'm going to guess that you haven't excersized much in a while and that
you're getting pain from the diaghram and/or accessory muscles of breathing
including but not limited to internal and external obliques and intercostal
mm's. Keep at it.

--
Robin Hubert >

Google