PDA

View Full Version : correct tire size?

Warren Ginn
July 30th 03, 10:46 PM
The rims on my bike say, "26 x 1.5" but the tires I have are 26 x 1.95.

Do I have the wrong size tires?

I am shopping for new tires and I want to be sure I get the right size.

By the way, any suggestions on MTB tires for road use?

Thanks,

Warren

Zoot Katz
July 30th 03, 11:04 PM
30 Jul 2003 14:46:52 -0700,
(Warren Ginn) wrote:

>The rims on my bike say, "26 x 1.5" but the tires I have are 26 x 1.95.
>
>Do I have the wrong size tires?
>
>I am shopping for new tires and I want to be sure I get the right size.
>
>By the way, any suggestions on MTB tires for road use?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Warren

Bookmark the site and always check there bike answers.

www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

I used Tom Slicks at 1.4" on both wide and narrow rims. Rim width will
limit the size range available to you somewhat, but generally
speaking, any of the decimal-inch specified tires will fit.

You run into problems with fractional sizes - a 26" X 1" is the wrong
size. Always double check the ISO spec.
--
zk

NY Rides
July 31st 03, 02:50 AM
Specialized Nimbus (1.5) make good road tires for a mountain bike.

--
Low-Impact Rides In The LI/NY Area
www.geocities.com/NYRides
"Zoot Katz" > wrote in message
> 30 Jul 2003 14:46:52 -0700,
> >,
> (Warren Ginn) wrote:
>
> >The rims on my bike say, "26 x 1.5" but the tires I have are 26 x 1.95.
> >
> >Do I have the wrong size tires?
> >
> >I am shopping for new tires and I want to be sure I get the right size.
> >
> >By the way, any suggestions on MTB tires for road use?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Warren
>
> Bookmark the site and always check there bike answers.
>
> www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
>
> I used Tom Slicks at 1.4" on both wide and narrow rims. Rim width will
> limit the size range available to you somewhat, but generally
> speaking, any of the decimal-inch specified tires will fit.
>
> You run into problems with fractional sizes - a 26" X 1" is the wrong
> size. Always double check the ISO spec.
> --
> zk

Jeff Wills
July 31st 03, 05:44 AM
Zoot Katz > wrote in message >...
<snip>
> Bookmark the site and always check there bike answers.
>
> www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
>
> I used Tom Slicks at 1.4" on both wide and narrow rims. Rim width will
> limit the size range available to you somewhat, but generally
> speaking, any of the decimal-inch specified tires will fit.
>
> You run into problems with fractional sizes - a 26" X 1" is the wrong
> size. Always double check the ISO spec.

Ditto on the reference to Sheldon's site. It explains a rather
peculiar area of bicycle nomenclature in a concise and clear manner.

FWIW: I've used 26 x 1.25" smooth "road" tires and 26 x 2.4" knobbies
on the same wheels interchangably.

Warren, your tires are just fine as long as they're inflated.

Jeff

Dave M Wyman
July 31st 03, 10:26 AM
Warren Ginn wrote:

> By the way, any suggestions on MTB tires for road use?

They are very expensive, but if you want very light weight, very narrow
tires, look at the Continental Grand Prix. The Turbo Pro Classics and
the inexpensive Fatboys - both from Specialized - are also worthy road
tires.

Dave
http://www.icylist.com

Google