PDA

View Full Version : Seeing in the rain


Michael
July 9th 03, 10:16 PM
When I ride in the rain, my sunglasses (even with the clear lenses)
get covered in water, and I find that they impede my vision even more
than wearing nothing (on my eyes, that is :). Yet taking them off
just exposes my eyes to the rain drops, which is annoying at best, and
can hurt in a serious rainstorm.

What's the best solution? Does anti-fog stuff like Cat Crap help the
water run off? What about Rain-X, that windshield stuff?

What about other, non-sunglasses solutions? A cycling cap or baseball
cap with brim to shield the eyes? An invisible heat-generating force
field to instantly dry the rain?

TIA

billcotton
July 9th 03, 11:02 PM
Even worst is riding at night in the rain. I used Rain-x and the water was
changed to a thin film of water. However, the headlight from oncoming cars
prismize and made seeing worst. my riding buddy mention that sometime no
glasses is better. I remove my glasses for the rest of the ride.
http://www.billcotton.com/71st_birthday_ride.htm

--
// Bill Cotton: Latitude N40 03.756' W75 06.192'
/ / Phone 215 663-8363 Data 215 663-8364
//
//
// www.billcotton.com






"Michael" > wrote in message
om...
> When I ride in the rain, my sunglasses (even with the clear lenses)
> get covered in water, and I find that they impede my vision even more
> than wearing nothing (on my eyes, that is :). Yet taking them off
> just exposes my eyes to the rain drops, which is annoying at best, and
> can hurt in a serious rainstorm.
>
> What's the best solution? Does anti-fog stuff like Cat Crap help the
> water run off? What about Rain-X, that windshield stuff?
>
> What about other, non-sunglasses solutions? A cycling cap or baseball
> cap with brim to shield the eyes? An invisible heat-generating force
> field to instantly dry the rain?
>
> TIA

Bill Davidson
July 9th 03, 11:36 PM
Michael wrote:
> What about other, non-sunglasses solutions? A cycling cap or baseball
> cap with brim to shield the eyes? An invisible heat-generating force
> field to instantly dry the rain?

Some sort of visor will help a lot. I would tend to go with
a visor and no glasses. You'll still get the occasional drop
hitting your eyes but you'll still be able to see.

--Bill Davidson

Doug Huffman
July 10th 03, 12:16 AM
This year has so far been WET.

I use Rain-X and a cap, under my hell-mutt, with a visor just long enough to
close the gap and keep the rain off the inside of the glasses.


"Michael" > wrote in message
om...
> When I ride in the rain, my sunglasses (even with the clear lenses)
> get covered in water, and I find that they impede my vision even more
> than wearing nothing (on my eyes, that is :). Yet taking them off
> just exposes my eyes to the rain drops, which is annoying at best, and
> can hurt in a serious rainstorm.
>
> What's the best solution? Does anti-fog stuff like Cat Crap help the
> water run off? What about Rain-X, that windshield stuff?
>
> What about other, non-sunglasses solutions? A cycling cap or baseball
> cap with brim to shield the eyes? An invisible heat-generating force
> field to instantly dry the rain?
>
> TIA

WBtobal
July 10th 03, 12:24 AM
In article <[email protected]>, Bill Davidson

>Michael wrote:
>> What about other, non-sunglasses solutions? A cycling cap or baseball
>> cap with brim to shield the eyes? An invisible heat-generating force
>> field to instantly dry the rain?

> writes:
>Some sort of visor will help a lot. I would tend to go with
>a visor and no glasses. You'll still get the occasional drop
>hitting your eyes but you'll still be able to see.

Howdy,

The visor does help a lot. Also, keep in mind that vehicle drivers
don't always change their wiper blades when "needed"..making it even
more difficult to see a cyclist in the rain -- careful out there!

Regards,
Bill

Peter Cole
July 10th 03, 12:56 PM
"Michael" > wrote in message
om...
> When I ride in the rain, my sunglasses (even with the clear lenses)
> get covered in water, and I find that they impede my vision even more
> than wearing nothing (on my eyes, that is

> What about other, non-sunglasses solutions? A cycling cap or baseball
> cap with brim to shield the eyes?

I find a visor helps a lot. I just use a visor-equipped helmet. On the latest
one I bought I had to tape up the "vents" (silly).

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home