PDA

View Full Version : Re: Did my first century Friday

Donny Harder Jr.
July 10th 03, 08:52 AM
In article >,
Jim West > wrote:

> Just felt compelled to post about it. We averaged 19.4 MPH while
> actually riding, but 4 rest stops (due to a 100+ F heat index in
> the afternoon) meant it was about 6 hours real time. I'm very pleased
> with myself overall.

Congratulations!!! When's your next one?

Rick Onanian
July 10th 03, 09:43 PM
I'd be ecstatic with 19.4 over 20 miles, but everything's uphill both ways
around here...and I live in Rhode Island, not a mountain range or anything.
Hrmph. Must be me (out of shape, bad technique, bad choice of bike doesn't
fit properly, or any other such problem..)

--
Rick Onanian

Eric
July 11th 03, 01:11 AM
Good job! I did a 93 mile ride to my parent's house. Average speed
13.3. 1500 ft. climb in the middle really slowed me down...

Eric

Jim West > wrote in message >...
> Just felt compelled to post about it. We averaged 19.4 MPH while
> actually riding, but 4 rest stops (due to a 100+ F heat index in
> the afternoon) meant it was about 6 hours real time. I'm very pleased
> with myself overall.

Jim West
July 11th 03, 04:59 AM
In article >, Rick Onanian wrote:
> I'd be ecstatic with 19.4 over 20 miles, but everything's uphill both ways
> around here...and I live in Rhode Island, not a mountain range or anything.
> Hrmph. Must be me (out of shape, bad technique, bad choice of bike doesn't
> fit properly, or any other such problem..)

Well, I've been riding an awful lot lately, and it was an organized ride
so I was in a big group during the first half or so. No way I could have
done anything close to that speed solo. We have some rolling hils,
but nothing major, which also obviously helps. We had done an 80 mile
tune-up on Sunday, and I thought I was going to die by the end of it.
I felt much better at the end of the century. I assume it is because of
the big group.

I do now have to ask if "peloton" is French for "We are all about to
die." ;-)

> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:35:27 GMT, Rivermist > wrote:
>
>> Good job. I would be very happy with 19.4 over 100 miles.
>>
>> "Jim West" > wrote in message
>>> Just felt compelled to post about it. We averaged 19.4 MPH while
>>> actually riding, but 4 rest stops (due to a 100+ F heat index in
>>> the afternoon) meant it was about 6 hours real time. I'm very pleased
>>> with myself overall.

Zoot Katz
July 11th 03, 05:21 AM
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:59:07 GMT,
>, Jim West
> wrote:

>I do now have to ask if "peloton" is French for "We are all about to
>die." ;-)

Actually, it's more like "rolled up in a ball".
--
zk

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home