PDA

View Full Version : Broken Ankle!

Erin
September 2nd 03, 02:03 AM
Can you believe it!? Just when I was getting back into some regular
riding after my holiday sans uni, and specifically when I was enjoying
the beginnings of a fun morning of riding trials with Mike Rocks one of
my fav riding pals..... Bam, I miss while hopping down a flight of
concrete stairs.... wrong move on the LAST step, fall to the right,
twist the right foot under and break the lower tip of the right
Tibia..... sigh.....

Six weeks in a nonweightbearing cast...... and with the first week of
school starting tomorrow ( I am the counsellor for 400 grade 8"s, poor
little gaffers!)

.... CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?

I am shocked..... but after a few hours in emerg. and seeing everyone
else's much worse physical problems I atually feel fortunate: a clean
break, excellent treatment at the hospital and just some patience needed
while things heal... others are so much worse off... so really I think
I'll be fine.... I'll just lurking around the newsgroup a little more
than usual while I am housebound with my elevated cast.... uni's
gathering dust.....

later,
maybe slowed down - but not stopped,
Erin

--
Erin - Onewheeler

"Wow, that is so cool, is it your 'bike-instead'?
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

Krashin'Kenny
September 2nd 03, 03:12 AM
Erin, that's gotta hurt !!!!!!!!!
(the broken bone and having to stay off your uni)

Hope you heal quickly;)

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!
Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

harper
September 2nd 03, 03:26 AM
Erin-

That just aggravates me. We had big plans of you coming down to Seattle
on a monthly basis to go on trail rides and Coker rides and urban rides.
What's up with this injury thing? And broken bones to boot.

Steve DeKoekkoek is riding just about everything after falling off of a
9.5 foot giraffe and being laid up for more than six weeks so there is
hope. How do you get hurt falling off a girl's unicycle, anyway? (Bring
it on, Erin.)

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"Are you OK???" - Just about anyone I've ever ridden with

Carol McLean
September 2nd 03, 03:27 AM
Erin.

That's crummy. Hope you're able to get back in the saddle again in a
few weeks. Keep us posted on your progress.

Carol

--
Carol McLean - Likes Pedal Pushers
Carol McLean's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3302

chirokid
September 2nd 03, 03:40 AM
Bummer Erin, I pray you heal quickly. --chirokid--

--
chirokid

"Unicycling can make you proud then humble in very quick succession."
Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Max_Dingemans
September 2nd 03, 04:12 AM
yup... it sure does suck. but you got off easy on two counts, it's only
six weeks nonwieght-bearing and it's nearing the end of the good riding
season. my last... 15 weeks have been kinda slow. and another 3 before
surgury (again....) , HURRAY!

Anyways... Good luck on the recovery, and Im sure you will!

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

"And when the sky darkens and the prospect is war
Who's given the gun and then pushed to the fore
And expected to die for the land of our birth
Though we've never owned one lousy handful of earth"
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

Rowan
September 2nd 03, 04:58 AM
Tough luck Erin. I have had heaps of close encounters with stairs,
especially stairs which turn corners. I mostly just ride down them
rather than hop, and I hate it when they bounce my feet off. Luckily I
have never broken any bones, but I have twisted my ankle pretty good
when I flung myself down from the top of seven stairs and landed
awkwardly. I was able to ride home, but I told myself I would wear boots
instead of shoes after that. I still wear the same shoes. [image:
http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/armed/crumble.gif] Have fun
while healing Erin.

--
Rowan - .`.
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

UniBrier
September 2nd 03, 05:10 AM
Erin,

Major bummer. I shattered my heel the day after Labor Day last year.
Six to seven weeks non-weight bearing and ten weeks total in that boot.
I think the worst part is losing all your calf strength.

I've got a pair of fore-arm crutches that aren't getting much use.

You will ride again!

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

tomblackwood
September 2nd 03, 05:12 AM
Erin, what a bummer. I'm sorry to hear you'll be out of commission
uni-wise for a little while, although you have the right perspective on
things. In the grand scheme, we're a pretty fortunate bunch to be able
to bounce all over the place on one wheel.

Now that you have all this extra lurking time, you should run a search
on both Max and on iunicycle. I think there have been some recent
threads on the proper application of pharmaceutical assistance to uni
injuries.

Heal well, and hopefully quick.

YPT

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

My other brake is my face!

Mike Rocks
September 2nd 03, 05:26 AM
Erin,
Sorry that your twisted ankle was really a break. I hope you have a
speedy recovery. Afterall, you missed out on not having your unicycle
with you on your trip and now this. Well we'll start with a an urban
ride once your back in the saddle again.
Take care,

--
Mike Rocks - Vancouver rider

Mike Rocks
Mike Rocks's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1500

Mike Rocks
September 2nd 03, 05:39 AM
Erin,
Sorry that your twisted ankle was really a break. I hope you have a
speedy recovery. Afterall, you missed out on not having your unicycle
with you on your trip and now this. Well we'll start with a an urban
ride once your back in the saddle again.
Take care,

--
Mike Rocks - Vancouver rider

Mike Rocks
Mike Rocks's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1500

slugbath
September 2nd 03, 06:05 AM
Poor Erin?! I'm with Harper! Her poor, abandoned riding companions!

(That, and Erin has THREATENED to COACH me drill sergeant-style from a
trialside deck chair...)

To a speedy recovery!
andrea

--
slugbath - Toodling...
slugbath's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/432

AccordNSX
September 2nd 03, 06:21 AM
You broke your ankle? Let's see if you can work your way up to your neck
like some of us. :)
Good luck with the healing!

--
AccordNSX - Adam Coast Choppers

If I had a signature, would you forge it?
AccordNSX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/541

Mikefule
September 2nd 03, 07:32 PM
That's bad news. :( I hate it when bits of my body don't work. It's so
frustrating. Get well soon, but don't overdo it and make things worse.
The temptation is always there for us active types.

Funny thing is, you know you'll be riding again as soon as you can. If
only some of my Claimants could get the same attitude, instead of
claiming trauma, situation specific anxiety, loss of amenity...

(Situation specific anxiety is technical speak for, "Quite worried it
might happen again.")

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

The long distance Fule on his farcycle

dazedNcontused
September 2nd 03, 08:56 PM
Erin wrote:
> *Six weeks in a nonweightbearing cast......I atually feel fortunate: a
> clean break, excellent treatment at the hospital and just some
> patience needed while things heal...*

Gotta like that attitude - may your glass always be (at least) half
full!

Heal quick!

Tim

--
dazedNcontused - go play in the snow!

She was so impressed she didn't even roll her eyes. - Harper
dazedNcontused's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2147

Klaas Bil
September 3rd 03, 01:45 AM
Oh boy... err... girl. That's too bad. I hope you heal quickly and
comfortably and find something enjoyable to do to stay in shape in the
meantime.

>I am the counsellor for 400 grade 8"s, poor
>little gaffers!
Poor? They now have a counsellor with a broken ankle from unicycling.
Who can say that? If anything that should make them richer.

Klaas Bil

(Reposted once more because after some 3 hours I get impatient when a
post isn't relayed. It just should be.)

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Max_Dingemans
September 3rd 03, 04:57 AM
Give it a bit and you'll be hopping about confined spaces as if your
walking it. and it's not really that bad crutching stairs once you get
used to it. I find a crutch in the same side as injury and the other use
a railing is good. I however, have a -very -hard time going any
distance without getting painfully sore. no gorey pictures or screws
sticking out or anything, right? you'll be fine before you know it!

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

"And when the sky darkens and the prospect is war
Who's given the gun and then pushed to the fore
And expected to die for the land of our birth
Though we've never owned one lousy handful of earth"
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

GizmoDuck
September 3rd 03, 10:13 AM
Wow, what a bummer Erin! Hope you get better soon. I was off for over
three months so I know how frustrating it feels to break an ankle. At
least you didn't need surgery to screw it back together!

But where are your X-rays???? Please do share them :) (I have a
professional interest in unicycling injuries)

And you can now work on your upper body stregth with crutches ;)

--
GizmoDuck - Cokernut

"I'll be there with bells on!"
Tony on the NZUni weekend

"right thats it im dressing up like a woman!"
James on the NZuni weekend

"If not for a weird inner ear condition that prevents me from crossing
the equator, I'd be there too."
JJuggle- the most original excuse not to attend the NZUni weekend

"At least if someone hurts themselves, Ken should be able to fix them up
with brain surgery on the spot if he brings a scalpel and some
bandages."
Rowan- on my surgical skills

[...]

Graeme
September 3rd 03, 10:59 AM
Bad luck Erin! Hope you heal quickly.

What type of crutches do you have? If it is the kind a friend of mine
had when he broke his ankle where they tuck under the armpits (as
opposed to just "clipping" to the forearm) then you can do what we all
did with his crutches. We had competitions to see how far we could get
using them without -either- foot touching the ground - bend your knees
to get your feet off the ground and use the crutches almost like
stilts.

I managed to stay up as long as I wanted. I'm sure with unicycle-trained
balance you would do well. At least it will pass the time:)

Have fun!

Graeme

--
Graeme - More regular de-lurker

Time for me to think up a new sig.
Ermmm... uh... hmmm...
You know that really witty and original thing you heard the other day?
Well imagine that I said it and it's now written here.
Graeme's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/767

[...]

GILD
September 3rd 03, 02:09 PM
Erin wrote:
> *Six weeks in a nonweightbearing cast
>
> I'll just lurk around the newsgroup a little more than usual while I
> am housebound with my elevated cast.... uni's gathering dust.....
>
> Erin *

'heal well!!' (http://www.chessclub.com/)

do we get to c the x-rays?

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

The only difference between me and a madman is that i'm not mad.
Pablo Picasso

'this will only take a minute...(fixed)'
(http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/actions/un.htm)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

carjug
September 3rd 03, 02:20 PM
OUCH! Many sympathies and I hope you heal fast. carjjug

--
carjug
carjug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1228

dustin
September 3rd 03, 02:23 PM
Ouch. Dont despair Erin, keep the weight off even when it's tempting to
start standing agian. It's been almost a year since my crash, the first
six months of that were non riding. With only six wks non weight
bearing you should be cruisin' again in no time. Make sure you do all
your physical therapy, it's worth it.

One question, were you wearing 'Active Ankles'
(http://unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=405) or any other such
device? These are well worth the investment...but they still didn't
stop me from breaking the tib and fib just below the knee. I'm sure I
would have seen a hospital a lot sooner had I not started wearing
AA's.

Crutches...if you have to have them, have fun with them...

| Attachment filename: crutches.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/160122|

dustin - on and off the road again

dustin kelm
www.dustinkelm.com isa40:30.31

"You are only limited by your imagination."
dustin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/920

john_childs
September 3rd 03, 06:32 PM
A reply from Nathan Hoover posted to usenet that didn't make it to the
forum. It looks like messages posted to the newsgroup are not making it
to the forum.

Message from Nathan:

Erin, that's terrible. What a bummer. I once fell off a rock climb on a
smooth vertical wall and somehow managed to twist my ankle tearing out
all the deltoid ligaments and shattering the fibula up by the knee. 7
weeks in the cast and it took a long time until I was 100% healed. The
good part is that you WILL heal. You may have to work really hard at it,
but you WILL do it!

GOOD LUCK!

---Nathan

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

U-Turn
September 3rd 03, 07:24 PM
Man all these stories coming out of the woodwork!

I'd love to see pics of Erin's crutches and Max's wheelchair in this
thread.

--
U-Turn - Mounting a Revolution

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

KathySusanka
September 4th 03, 01:20 AM
Erin,
Sorry to hear about your broken ankle. I did the same a few years ago
and when I told people how I did it I got a lot of different reactions.
Most people didn't believe me. One collegue actually said "All Right!",
with pride, I think. Let us know what everyone at your school has to
say. Will the reaction of your students be the same as the staff? On the
bright side: you now have time to get your Christmas cards all done
early and shop for a get well gift for yourself at Unicycle.com.
You'll be back to riding and good as new before you know it.

Happy Healing , Kathy

--
KathySusanka

Rock is Dead!
Long live Paper and Sissors!
KathySusanka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4309

Mandell
September 4th 03, 04:20 AM
Erin

Sorry to hear about your leg. More sorry that you will not be able to
ride for a month or two.:(

Don't forget, October and November are still usually good for riding...
in Victoria.;)

--
Mandell - Keen Beginner
Mandell's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3769

James_Potter
September 4th 03, 04:52 AM
That would be tough. Really tough. Tougher than the time I broke my
wrist, and couldn't do the Rubiks Cube for eight weeks or so. But this
is different.
Someone probably already gave this idea, but think of this as an
opportunity to learn to ride one footed better! LOL I expect the doctor
or someone would say no, though....

--
James_Potter - Order of Merlin, first class

-"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided."

--Albus Dumbledore-

Max_Dingemans
September 4th 03, 05:01 AM
I like to think common sense says no on that last one. I have been able
to stay off cept that maybe 15 seconds of one foot wheel walking, and
that was stupid. keep with it! HEAL WELL!

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

"And when the sky darkens and the prospect is war
Who's given the gun and then pushed to the fore
And expected to die for the land of our birth
Though we've never owned one lousy handful of earth"
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

mkuhfahl
September 4th 03, 05:08 AM
James_Potter wrote:
> Someone probably already gave this idea, but think of this as an
> opportunity to learn to ride one footed better! LOL I expect the
> doctor or someone would say no, though.... [/B]

Hey! I was going to say that... oh well....

Seriously though, like everyone else, I am sorry to hear of your ankle,
Erin... hope it heals fast... [email protected]

--
mkuhfahl - Unicyclist
mkuhfahl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4253

Erin
September 4th 03, 05:17 AM
Thanks again for your many posts, great suggestions and humerous
insights.

I did indeed see the Xrays on the hospital computer but was really in
too much of a state of surprise to explore a way of having them e-mailed
to my home computer. Too bad as it was such a clear break it wouldn't
take any kind of medical degree to diagnose that pic.

Yes, lots of laughs actually when people hear how I broke my ankle, in
fact, at the hospital, while filling in their many forms, I think they
found it, in a strange way, a pleasant change from the usual stories
they hear about the sports-methods of breaking bones.

Humm, now the idea of getting a get well gift at Uni.com does appeal to
me.... good suggestion Kathy... maybe I'll start off with a pair of
Active Ankles... as per Dustin's post....

So now I am into day three of being in a cast and I have to say that
once arriving home from school I was about ready to get changed into
riding shorts, toss the crutches in the closet, pull off the cast and
just head out for a ride..... what do you mean... that will be another
46 more days madam?! :confused:

again, many thanks to you all,
cheers,
Erin

--
Erin - Onewheeler

"Wow, that is so cool, is it your 'bike-instead'?
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

unibiker
September 9th 03, 02:10 AM
So sorry to hear the bad news Erin. There seems to be a lot of this
injury stuff going around. I hope you heal quickly.

--
unibiker - What is that thing anyway?

Jeff Baker

______________________________

Favorite comment (from a child) 'You can't do that. That's impossible.'
'Unibike Pics Here' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albun01)
unibiker's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/473

Erin
September 9th 03, 03:30 AM
Thanks Jeff,
just got back for a visit to the orthopaedic doc who took another pic
and said bone bits are all in the right places and I just have to hang
onto the cast for another five weeks and then I get to start hobbling
about with a stint of rehab waiting in the wings...

......in the meantime I keep dusting off the uni's so they don't start
feeling neglected...:)

Cheers,
Erin

PS
I already found a good Cdn source for Active Ankles (check out the
volleyball haunts - ankle injuries are the #1 injury for Volleyball
players hence the availability of ankle braces in Volleyball settings.)

--
Erin - Onewheeler

"Wow, that is so cool, is it your 'bike-instead'?
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

U-Turn
September 9th 03, 12:18 PM
Erin wrote:
> *I already found a good Cdn source for Active Ankles*
I bought a set from the Drummonds at NAUCC and have used one on the
sprained ankle extensively. I can ride freestyle now almost without
restriction. Without it I wouldn't dare. Still not doing singletrack,
though.

--
U-Turn - Mounting a Revolution

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

Rowan
September 10th 03, 01:47 AM
Rowan wrote:
> *I have twisted my ankle pretty good when I flung myself down from the
> top of seven stairs and landed awkwardly. I was able to ride home, but
> I told myself I would wear boots instead of shoes after that. I still
> wear the same shoes.*
I have renewed sympathy for you Erin, as I am now out of action for a
while also. Last night I was out riding in Colson road forest, and while
waiting for a friend, I tried riding down a log. It was not a wise move
as the log disintegrated in half, and I stepped down, rolling my ankle
on the uneven ground in the process. I was foolishly wearing the same
shoes I twisted my ankle with last time, and not only do they not
provide ankle support, but the lace hole thing broke again yesterday
morning, and wouldn't lace up as tightly as it should. I realised how
stupid I am for not learning the first time, as a prevention is much
better than a cure (you know this all too well while waiting to heal). I
am now considering getting active ankles, and while I should have been
wearing my old tramping boots, ideally I should get some new ones with
grip on the sole and no gaping holes. At least I learned a new lesson:
before riding on a log, test it is not totally rotten and is able to
hold your weight!

--
Rowan - .`.
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

GILD
September 10th 03, 09:28 AM
Rowan wrote:
> *At least I learned a new lesson: before riding on a log, test it is
> not totally rotten and is able to hold your weight! *

not the pithiest t-shirt type slogan i've heard for a while, but the
point is made

R.I.C.E

R.est
I.ce
C.ompression
E.levation

a hyperbaric oxygen chamber would be nice but that really messes up the
acronym

;)

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

The only difference between me and a madman is that i'm not mad.
Pablo Picasso

'this will only take a minute...(fixed)'
(http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/actions/un.htm)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

Klaas Bil
September 10th 03, 10:25 PM
GILD, were you joking or would a hyperbaric oxygen chamber really help
anything re Rowan's ankle? Then (taking only the initial H) the
acronym could become RICHE which is French for rich.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
If the crank is moving then it really sounds as if it's loose. - onewheeldave trying to pinpoint the cause of a clicking crank

Eublapharis13
December 23rd 03, 03:45 AM
From what you said Erin that's the exact same thing i did to my foot.
broken tibia right above the right leg's growth plate at the ankle. Type
2 fracture. Luckily for you you're older and don't have to worry about a
growth plate. I have to wait like 3 months until they know whether It
will mess up my legs or not. I might be a whopsided human for the rest
of my life:(

--
Eublapharis13 - Unicycle destroyer

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their
shoes.
Eublapharis13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4065

)----(x)
December 23rd 03, 04:14 AM
sorry to here that jeff:( i wish you the best luck with you ankle :)
and hopefuly* you'll be able to uni again

--
)----(x) - crazed unicyclist

the number of wheel(s) you have tells you what place you come in, for
example: unicycle=1st
)----(x)'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5094

doctor
December 23rd 03, 05:16 AM
Eublapharis13 wrote:
> *From what you said Erin that's the exact same thing i did to my foot.
> broken tibia right above the right leg's growth plate at the ankle.
> Type 2 fracture. Luckily for you you're older and don't have to worry
> about a growth plate. I have to wait like 3 months until they know
> whether It will mess up my legs or not. I might be a whopsided human
> for the rest of my life:( *

Oh! barely passed 15th birthday high school student......
I hope your fast and full recovery.

--
doctor - Dokyoung Yoon

WildDoc at 'WildUni.com' (http://www.wilduni.com)