CycleBanter.com

-   -   gas electric hybrid bike (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=96580)

Cydrome Leader August 30th 05 10:34 PM

gas electric hybrid bike

I'm trying to find info on any failed gas-electric hybrid powered
bicycles, but cannot find any.

Anybody know when/how this was tried if at all?

Ron Ruff August 31st 05 12:27 AM

gas electric hybrid bike

Cydrome Leader wrote:
I'm trying to find info on any failed gas-electric hybrid powered
bicycles, but cannot find any.

Anybody know when/how this was tried if at all?

No, I don't... but a decent gas/electric hybrid car (Prius) is quite
complex and expensive. Also, their forte (compared to gas only) is stop
and go city driving, mostly because the engines of gas-only cars are
relatively huge to provide good acceleration and 100+ mph speeds. On a
bike this wouldn't be the case (you'd be close to full power even while
cruising), and I doubt there would be much benefit... and it wouldn't
be worth the cost and complexity.

Now... a pure electric like an Ego or E-max makes a lot of sense to
me... quiet, simple, and efficient... and the range is as long as most
people need. If these were mass produced the price should be quite low.

ReptilesBlade September 2nd 05 11:37 PM

gas electric hybrid bike

"Ron Ruff" wrote in news:1125444454.744533.213270
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Cydrome Leader wrote:
I'm trying to find info on any failed gas-electric hybrid powered
bicycles, but cannot find any.

Anybody know when/how this was tried if at all?

No, I don't... but a decent gas/electric hybrid car (Prius) is quite
complex and expensive. Also, their forte (compared to gas only) is stop
and go city driving, mostly because the engines of gas-only cars are
relatively huge to provide good acceleration and 100+ mph speeds. On a
bike this wouldn't be the case (you'd be close to full power even while
cruising), and I doubt there would be much benefit... and it wouldn't
be worth the cost and complexity.

Now... a pure electric like an Ego or E-max makes a lot of sense to
me... quiet, simple, and efficient... and the range is as long as most
people need. If these were mass produced the price should be quite low.

Schwinn is bringout an electric Sting-Ray soon, maybe that will get people
more interested in electric bikes if they do not want regular ones.

--
---
END OF LINE.

http://www.usenet.com