CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The next battle of the clipless (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=2466)

MarkR June 1st 04 02:57 AM

The next battle of the clipless

I went out today with a friend for what I thought would be an easy day to
get used to the clipless. We rode in this strange area near our houses.
Right in the middle of a rural residential area is an old mining area known
as Logan Cut or "the cuts" of about 8000 acres.

It's an area everyone knows about but none of my friends or acquantances
have been in. As mentioned, it's an historic hydrolically mined area.

Well, it turned out to be the most tecnically difficult riding I've ever
done. We rode for six hours (with breaks) and only covered 25 miles! It
really got to me: going up steep (10 to 15%) hills, full of ruts, and
suddenly hitting deep mud or a patch of wet mining tailings (about the
consistency of talcum powder). No way I could clip out in time. I went down
five (yes five) times. None the worse for wear except a skinned elbow and
bruises, but I'm a little scared of my bike and pedals right now. I
DEFINITELY need to practice on the clipless on less technical roads
(pavement sounds real interesting about now - at least red lights don't
appear suddenly with no warning!)

--
Mark Rehmar
Please remove *splinters* to reply by email

MarkR June 1st 04 02:59 AM

The next battle of the clipless

Oops, I meant to post this under the "a not so great biking day" thread but
pressed the wrong button - too many falls today!!

James Calivar June 1st 04 04:00 AM

"MarkR" wrote in message
[...]

Not exactly the best terrain to get used to clipess...

Dennis P. Harris June 1st 04 09:04 AM

The next battle of the clipless

On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:57:16 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc, "MarkR"
wrote:

No way I could clip out in time. I went down
five (yes five) times. None the worse for wear except a skinned elbow and
bruises, but I'm a little scared of my bike and pedals right now.

you need to loosen them up a bit, and then you'll probably have
to tighten them over several months as the new cleats wear in.

Roger Zoul June 1st 04 10:51 AM

MarkR wrote:
:: I went out today with a friend for what I thought would be an easy
:: day to get used to the clipless. We rode in this strange area near
:: our houses. Right in the middle of a rural residential area is an
:: old mining area known as Logan Cut or "the cuts" of about 8000 acres.
::
[...]

Wow. Mark -- it's time for some easy rides...otherwise, you may really get
fear of the saddle. Keep to routes you know well. I say short and
frequent.

I did 25 (I consider that short) on Sunday with no problems. Going again
this morning.

:: --