CycleBanter.com

-   Mountain Biking (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   penalty befitting crime? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=117562)

Scott Gordo December 1st 05 10:40 PM

penalty befitting crime?

I just came across this site from Austin, TX. It compares the penalties
cyclist suffer for, say, riding on the sidewalk or bicycling w/o a
helmet, versus penalties levied against motorists who run red lights
and kill cyclists. Sadly familiar stuff to NYC cyclists.

I'm sure these are all worst case scenarios provided to make a point,
but it's still insane and poignant:

http://bicycleaustin.info/justice/

/s

Shawn December 1st 05 11:15 PM

penalty befitting crime?

Scott Gordo wrote:
I just came across this site from Austin, TX. It compares the penalties
cyclist suffer for, say, riding on the sidewalk or bicycling w/o a
helmet, versus penalties levied against motorists who run red lights
and kill cyclists. Sadly familiar stuff to NYC cyclists.

I'm sure these are all worst case scenarios provided to make a point,
but it's still insane and poignant:

http://bicycleaustin.info/justice/

Some kid killed a cyclist in the Denver area while text messaging on his
phone.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3255633
He could get put away for a year. Here's hoping.

Shawn