CycleBanter.com

-   -   Shimming up caliper to increase rotor size on MTB brakes (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=254286)

Joerg[_2_] July 22nd 17 12:30 AM

Shimming up caliper to increase rotor size on MTB brakes

My rotors are soon done and I am considering upping the game from 7" to
8" in front and from 6" to 7" in back. Are these spacers a good way to
go or is that playing with fire?

https://www.amazon.com/Avid-Post-Mou.../dp/B00F5I3P5E

What my bike has in front now looks like this but more round in the middle:

https://www.amazon.com/Avid-Post-Mou.../dp/B00F5I3P5E

No spacer in back (yet) and there I could probably just use the existing
front spacer. The brakes are Promax Decipher and I can't get an 8"
compatible post with cross-connector that has the right "belly shape" in
the middle. The Shimano and similar ones are too small.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Joerg[_2_] July 22nd 17 12:53 AM

On 2017-07-21 16:30, Joerg wrote:
My rotors are soon done and I am considering upping the game from 7" to
8" in front and from 6" to 7" in back. Are these spacers a good way to
go or is that playing with fire?

https://www.amazon.com/Avid-Post-Mou.../dp/B00F5I3P5E

What my bike has in front now looks like this but more round in the middle:

https://www.amazon.com/Avid-Post-Mou.../dp/B00F5I3P5E

No spacer in back (yet) and there I could probably just use the existing
front spacer. The brakes are Promax Decipher and I can't get an 8"
compatible post with cross-connector that has the right "belly shape" in
the middle. The Shimano and similar ones are too small.

An alternative might be this but it looks a bit too much weight-stripped
for my taste. I like it bulky and strong.

Joerg[_2_] July 22nd 17 12:55 AM

On 2017-07-21 16:30, Joerg wrote:
My rotors are soon done and I am considering upping the game from 7" to
8" in front and from 6" to 7" in back. Are these spacers a good way to
go or is that playing with fire?

https://www.amazon.com/Avid-Post-Mou.../dp/B00F5I3P5E

What my bike has in front now looks like this but more round in the middle:

https://www.amazon.com/Avid-Post-Mou.../dp/B00F5I3P5E

No spacer in back (yet) and there I could probably just use the existing
front spacer. The brakes are Promax Decipher and I can't get an 8"
compatible post with cross-connector that has the right "belly shape" in
the middle. The Shimano and similar ones are too small.

An alternative might be this but it looks too weight-stripped for me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGIN8-BRAK...-/352110825755

Doug Landau July 22nd 17 01:17 AM

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 4:30:06 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
My rotors are soon done and I am considering upping the game from 7" to
8" in front and from 6" to 7" in back. Are these spacers a good way to
go or is that playing with fire?

https://www.amazon.com/Avid-Post-Mou.../dp/B00F5I3P5E

What my bike has in front now looks like this but more round in the middle:

https://www.amazon.com/Avid-Post-Mou.../dp/B00F5I3P5E

No spacer in back (yet) and there I could probably just use the existing
front spacer. The brakes are Promax Decipher and I can't get an 8"
compatible post with cross-connector that has the right "belly shape" in
the middle. The Shimano and similar ones are too small.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

too expensive