CycleBanter.com

-   Unicycling (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   My unicycle cotterless crank is loose (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=227907)

Pepsco May 20th 11 11:38 PM

My unicycle cotterless crank is loose

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...P1070367-1.jpg
--- There's a picture of my left crank which adjusts side to side
when it's not supposed to. Whenever I try to tighten the black wheel
thing inside of the left crank it still moves slightly side to side. I
also noticed that when I compared the right and left crank there was a
hole in the middle of the left crank (the one that needs fixing) and
no hole on the right crank. Is it supposed to be like that and if not
what piece am I missing?

TK May 21st 11 01:43 PM

On 5/20/2011 5:38 PM, Pepsco wrote:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...P1070367-1.jpg
--- There's a picture of my left crank which adjusts side to side
when it's not supposed to. Whenever I try to tighten the black wheel
thing inside of the left crank it still moves slightly side to side. I
also noticed that when I compared the right and left crank there was a
hole in the middle of the left crank (the one that needs fixing) and
no hole on the right crank. Is it supposed to be like that and if not
what piece am I missing?

I recommend taking it to a bicycle shop. They deal with cotter-less
cranks every day. That is the same on both wheeled vehicles. It should
be relatively cheap fix. If not they will be able to advise you on your
realistic options.

If I were working on it, I would try driving the crank arm on to the
shaft with a hammer. Place a wood block over the crank arm with the
other arm lying on a board (axle vertical - not close to vertical,
vertical), blast it with a hammer, tighten the nut, repeat.

HTH

--
TK ~ aka Terry Kimpling
http://wejuggle2.com/