CycleBanter.com

-   -   MTB randonneur (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=255963)

Emanuel Berg[_2_] June 3rd 18 06:20 PM

MTB randonneur

Perhaps this was approached from the wrong
angle, if one desires wide tires, perhaps one
should get a 28" MTB steel frame and only have
the gear loaded the same way?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Emanuel Berg[_2_] June 3rd 18 06:20 PM

MTB randonneur

Perhaps this was approached from the wrong
angle, if one desires wide tires, perhaps one
should get a 28" MTB steel frame and only have
the gear loaded the same way?

Or 27.5", whatever.

AMuzi June 3rd 18 06:35 PM

MTB randonneur

On 6/3/2018 12:20 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Perhaps this was approached from the wrong
angle, if one desires wide tires, perhaps one
should get a 28" MTB steel frame and only have
the gear loaded the same way?

Some people believe, "If a little bit is good, a lot is even
better!"

If you are among them, why stop at a puny runt of a 28" wheel?

http://blog.truebikes.eu/wp-content/...-copertina.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Emanuel Berg[_2_] June 3rd 18 06:41 PM

MTB randonneur

AMuzi wrote:

Some people believe, "If a little bit is
good, a lot is even better!"

If you are among them, why stop at a puny
runt of a 28" wheel?

http://blog.truebikes.eu/wp-content/...-copertina.jpg

OK. Do you have smaller chainrings on that to
compensate for the wheel circumference, like
with the small wheelers, only the other
way around?

Jeff Liebermann June 3rd 18 06:55 PM

MTB randonneur

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 12:35:12 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 6/3/2018 12:20 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Perhaps this was approached from the wrong
angle, if one desires wide tires, perhaps one
should get a 28" MTB steel frame and only have
the gear loaded the same way?

Some people believe, "If a little bit is good, a lot is even
better!"

If you are among them, why stop at a puny runt of a 28" wheel?

http://blog.truebikes.eu/wp-content/...-copertina.jpg

How wide a tire do you need?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGlODF7_RY (3:05)
Anything worth doing, is also worth overdoing.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Emanuel Berg[_2_] June 3rd 18 07:06 PM

MTB randonneur

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

How wide a tire do you need?

I don't need especially wide tires. Just not 32
and preferably wider than 35. Shooting from the
holster, I'd say my prefered tire size is
622-40, 622-42, or 622-47.

But this is me just projecting the project
based on my general experience and what
I've read. I never did any randonneuring
whatsoever on any bike!

[email protected] June 3rd 18 07:56 PM

MTB randonneur

On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 12:20:19 PM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Perhaps this was approached from the wrong
angle, if one desires wide tires, perhaps one
should get a 28" MTB steel frame and only have
the gear loaded the same way?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Stop using the word "randonneur". As for wanting wide tires, which seems to be your only goal. That is easy. With the advent of 29", 700C mountain bikes, there are many wide bike tires for every wheel size. You can get many 26" or 700C bikes that will accommodate 1.9" or 2.1" wide tires. That is 48 and 53 mm wide. I'm guessing there are slightly skinnier 700C tires available too.

Emanuel Berg[_2_] June 3rd 18 08:09 PM

MTB randonneur

wrote:

Stop using the word "randonneur". As for
wanting wide tires, which seems to be your
only goal.

Yeah, I just want a randonneur with wide tires.
You got me all figured out and from what it
seems it didn't take you very long either.

Duane[_4_] June 3rd 18 08:39 PM

MTB randonneur

Emanuel Berg wrote:
wrote:

Stop using the word "randonneur". As for
wanting wide tires, which seems to be your
only goal.

Yeah, I just want a randonneur with wide tires.
You got me all figured out and from what it
seems it didn't take you very long either.

Now it seems that you’re being intentionally obtuse. Take his advice or
don’t. Time to kill this thread and go for a ride...

--
duane

Ralph Barone[_4_] June 3rd 18 11:48 PM

MTB randonneur

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 12:35:12 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 6/3/2018 12:20 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Perhaps this was approached from the wrong
angle, if one desires wide tires, perhaps one
should get a 28" MTB steel frame and only have
the gear loaded the same way?

Some people believe, "If a little bit is good, a lot is even
better!"

If you are among them, why stop at a puny runt of a 28" wheel?

http://blog.truebikes.eu/wp-content/...-copertina.jpg

How wide a tire do you need?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGlODF7_RY (3:05)
Anything worth doing, is also worth overdoing.

Brilliant rim and drivetrain design, but it seems to disprove the "big
wheels/wide tires have less rolling resistance" hypothesis.