CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   So we bought the tandem (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=2175)

Claire Petersky April 26th 04 04:02 AM

So we bought the tandem

Yesterday we just took it up and down the street, then around the block a
few times, and then finally out to the arterial and back. My husband's never
ridden a tandem, whereas I have some stoker experience and I've been a
captain on our other tandem with the kids. So it took some practice to feel
steady and stable on the thing. It's much easier to get started with the two
of us than me and a kid -- it really helps I think to have a stoker and a
captain with a clue.

Today, the kids went to the movies with some friends, so we had the chance
to ride the new bike a bit further. We did a fifteen mile loop: down to the
lake, then along it for a bit, and back. This included a big downhill, and a
steady uphill climb.

Notes:
o My husband's used to riding at a higher cadence than me. Maybe it's just
as well I get used to that.
o He'll eventually learn to warn me when he decides he's going to coast, or
suddenly start pedaling again. Especially since the suddenly start pedaling
again thing could have potentially damaging consequences to my crotch.
o Our speed was totally kick ass. We were cruising along, at an effort that
would have produced in our mutual estimations about 17 mph in him and 15 in
me, but I know we were going probably 22 at a minimum. We rode past a couple
of This Is Your Speed signs (speeding along the lake is a real problem), and
were at 17 mph on an uphill stretch, and 25 on a flat. Maybe we'll
eventually buy a computer for it.
o I'm close enough to him to *smell* him. And this was on only a 15 mile
thing largely in the late afternoon shade. Makes me wonder if we'll really
do the Flying Wheels Century together on that thing. He'll be pretty ripe on
a summer's day after a hundred miles.
o Amusingly, I can literally kiss his ass, especially on downhills in a
tuck. Heh.
o It's easier for me to reach the water bottle when tucked into his back
jersey pocket than on the bike. Maybe after we both feel more confident on
the thing, we can reach down for waterbottles, but we're not quite there
yet.

This tandem thing might prove to be fun.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Cathy Kearns April 26th 04 03:20 PM

So we bought the tandem

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
o Amusingly, I can literally kiss his ass, especially on downhills in a
tuck. Heh.

On long downhills when we are sailing fast I've been known to put
my head down on his back and take a little nap. Comfy!

o It's easier for me to reach the water bottle when tucked into his back
jersey pocket than on the bike. Maybe after we both feel more confident on
the thing, we can reach down for waterbottles, but we're not quite there
yet.

Well, okay, the above wouldn't work it I put water bottles in his back
pocket. Don't worry, you'll be stable enough to grab water bottles
from the cages in no time.

This tandem thing might prove to be fun.

It certainly has for us. Good luck!

Karen M. April 26th 04 08:36 PM

So we bought the tandem

Claire wrote:
o My husband's used to riding at a higher cadence than me. Maybe it's just
as well I get used to that.

Cadence=aerobics. Not all bad.

o He'll eventually learn to warn me when he decides he's going to coast, or
suddenly start pedaling again. Especially since the suddenly start pedaling
again thing could have potentially damaging consequences to my crotch.

As they say in day care centers, "use your words." A few times of
shrieking in his ear will learn him right quick. Ditto on the bumps
(if yours doesn't have a special trampoline seatpost). I've broken in
several captains, and I am the world's best captain myself at
notification of road surface and so forth. (I even say "bump" to my
auto passengers!)

o Our speed was totally kick ass. We were cruising along, at an effort that
would have produced in our mutual estimations about 17 mph in him and 15 in
me, but I know we were going probably 22 at a minimum. We rode past a couple
of This Is Your Speed signs (speeding along the lake is a real problem), and
were at 17 mph on an uphill stretch, and 25 on a flat. Maybe we'll
eventually buy a computer for it.

Two computers. The Rear Admiral position can get boring, and if you
have your own buttons to push you can do mental calculations or
announce the details to all the singles drafting you. On my tandems we
each have a computer, and it's funny to see that the rear of the
Counterpoint travels further than the front.

o I'm close enough to him to *smell* him. And this was on only a 15 mile
thing largely in the late afternoon shade. Makes me wonder if we'll really
do the Flying Wheels Century together on that thing. He'll be pretty ripe on
a summer's day after a hundred miles.

Baby wipes, no beans.

o Amusingly, I can literally kiss his ass, especially on downhills in a
tuck. Heh.
o It's easier for me to reach the water bottle when tucked into his back
jersey pocket than on the bike. Maybe after we both feel more confident on
the thing, we can reach down for waterbottles, but we're not quite there
yet.

Stuff the cue sheets in there too, or get a hunter's license holder
for the back of his jersey. Captains are good for more than just
driving.

HTH
--Karen M.
so what kind is it? Photos???

David Reuteler April 26th 04 08:52 PM

So we bought the tandem

Karen M. wrote:
no beans.

uh-oh. any tips for a vegetarian captain? besides starving, i mean.
--
david reuteler

Ryan Cousineau April 26th 04 11:10 PM

So we bought the tandem

In article ,
David Reuteler wrote:

Karen M. wrote:
no beans.

uh-oh. any tips for a vegetarian captain? besides starving, i mean.

Stoke.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Benjamin Lewis April 26th 04 11:18 PM

So we bought the tandem

Karen M. wrote:

Two computers. The Rear Admiral position can get boring, and if you
have your own buttons to push you can do mental calculations or
announce the details to all the singles drafting you. On my tandems we
each have a computer, and it's funny to see that the rear of the
Counterpoint travels further than the front.

Clearly, the stoker must be working harder.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Accordion, n.:
A bagpipe with pleats.

Roger Zoul April 26th 04 11:21 PM

So we bought the tandem

Claire Petersky wrote:
..
:: o Our speed was totally kick ass. We were cruising along, at an
:: effort that would have produced in our mutual estimations about 17
:: mph in him and 15 in me, but I know we were going probably 22 at a
:: minimum. We rode past a couple of This Is Your Speed signs (speeding
:: along the lake is a real problem), and were at 17 mph on an uphill
:: stretch, and 25 on a flat. Maybe we'll eventually buy a computer for
:: it.

Get a computer, cheapo!

:: o I'm close enough to him to *smell* him. And this was on only a 15
:: mile thing largely in the late afternoon shade. Makes me wonder if
:: we'll really do the Flying Wheels Century together on that thing.
:: He'll be pretty ripe on a summer's day after a hundred miles.

Well, you can sit up front and he'll smell you ripe :)

:: o Amusingly, I can literally kiss his ass, especially on downhills
:: in a tuck. Heh.

Well, you can sit up front and he can kiss your ass. :)

::
:: This tandem thing might prove to be fun.
::

Sounds like you two will come to know each other even better! :)

Enjoy!

AustinMN April 26th 04 11:30 PM

So we bought the tandem

Roger Zoul wrote:
Claire Petersky wrote:
.
:: o Our speed was totally kick ass. We were cruising along, at an
:: effort that would have produced in our mutual estimations about 17
:: mph in him and 15 in me, but I know we were going probably 22 at a
:: minimum. We rode past a couple of This Is Your Speed signs (speeding
:: along the lake is a real problem), and were at 17 mph on an uphill
:: stretch, and 25 on a flat. Maybe we'll eventually buy a computer for
:: it.

Get a computer, cheapo!

even worse stuff snipped

Somehow, flaming Claire comes across to me a little bit like flaming Mother
Theresa. There's no reason to, and everybody knows only an ignorant jackass
would do it.

Austin

Jacques Moser April 26th 04 11:33 PM

So we bought the tandem

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 03:02:31 +0000, Claire Petersky wrote:

Yesterday we just took it up and down the street, then around the block a
few times, and then finally out to the arterial and back. My husband's
never ridden a tandem, whereas I have some stoker experience and I've been
a captain on our other tandem with the kids. So it took some practice to
feel steady and stable on the thing. It's much easier to get started with
the two of us than me and a kid -- it really helps I think to have a
stoker and a captain with a clue.
(...)

Is the husband *always* captain ? I understand it conforms to the usage of
the male more often driving the car or assuming (apparent) leadership,...
But I am still surprised to see that in practically all reports I read on
tandeming there is practically none where the husband is stoker and the
wife captain.
Ok, no problem with me, I prefer being captain, but I would expect women
to challenge us more than this.

Jacques

David Reuteler April 26th 04 11:43 PM

So we bought the tandem

AustinMN wrote:
Somehow, flaming Claire comes across to me a little bit like flaming Mother
Theresa. There's no reason to, and everybody knows only an ignorant jackass
would do it.

i kinda like it when people flame claire. her replies get funnier and
better with the intensity of the flame so knock yourself out. i'm sure
she can take a challenge. i could use a laugh.

i don't think the flame in question really was, tho. possibly in poor
taste but it didn't read like a proper flame to me. i'd be much more
irritated at being compared to a religious character myself.
--
david reuteler