CycleBanter.com

-   -   bigger lawyer lips on the way? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=115232)

Jacobe Hazzard November 5th 05 07:37 AM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

I don't know why I formatted that post upside down.

(PeteCresswell) November 5th 05 06:47 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

Per Jacobe Hazzard:
Or you could replace the QR skewers with allen-keyed skewers. A lot of
people around here do that to prevent casual theft of wheels, plus you
still don't need to carry a wrench.

That wouldn't satisfy my particular paranoia. My concern is the fastener
coming loose enough for the wheel to eject past the lawyer lips.

The beauty of through-axle to me is that it's fault-tolerant. i.e. the screws
can be *really* loose and it still stays in place.
--
PeteCresswell

Llatikcuf November 5th 05 10:05 PM

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
That wouldn't satisfy my particular paranoia. My concern is the fastener
coming loose enough for the wheel to eject past the lawyer lips.

The beauty of through-axle to me is that it's fault-tolerant. i.e. the screws
can be *really* loose and it still stays in place.
--
PeteCresswell

Seems to me all quick release skewers should come with some kind of
locking mechanism that would prevent loosening after it was fastened.
Even if the skewer were tightened just a little it would not unscrew,
never getting loose enough to bypass the lawyer lips.

-Nate

Jasper Janssen November 5th 05 10:23 PM

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 09:47:38 -0800, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Jacobe Hazzard:
Or you could replace the QR skewers with allen-keyed skewers. A lot of
people around here do that to prevent casual theft of wheels, plus you
still don't need to carry a wrench.

That wouldn't satisfy my particular paranoia. My concern is the fastener
coming loose enough for the wheel to eject past the lawyer lips.

The beauty of through-axle to me is that it's fault-tolerant. i.e. the screws
can be *really* loose and it still stays in place.

Also, allen-skewers lack visual indication that they are loose, which
regular skewers do show at even the most casual glance (at least for the
main QR motion).

Jasper

Jasper Janssen November 6th 05 05:08 PM

On 5 Nov 2005 13:05:38 -0800, "Llatikcuf" wrote:

Seems to me all quick release skewers should come with some kind of
locking mechanism that would prevent loosening after it was fastened.
Even if the skewer were tightened just a little it would not unscrew,
never getting loose enough to bypass the lawyer lips.

A washer with *real* interlocking serrations (not the puny .1 mm deep crap
on QRs now) that on the other side fits in the dropout slot so it can't
rotate would seem to be the obvious answer. If you make left and right w/
frex 39 and 40 serrations, there is not even the minor reduction in
adjustability.

Jasper

Phil, Squid-in-Training November 7th 05 12:44 AM

Jasper Janssen wrote:
On 5 Nov 2005 13:05:38 -0800, "Llatikcuf" wrote:

Seems to me all quick release skewers should come with some kind of
locking mechanism that would prevent loosening after it was fastened.
Even if the skewer were tightened just a little it would not unscrew,
never getting loose enough to bypass the lawyer lips.

A washer with *real* interlocking serrations (not the puny .1 mm deep
crap on QRs now) that on the other side fits in the dropout slot so
it can't rotate would seem to be the obvious answer. If you make left
and right w/ frex 39 and 40 serrations, there is not even the minor
reduction in adjustability.

Jasper

In addition, people who do not know how to use QRs wouldn't be able to
physically wingnut the skewer closed because the serrations would prevent
tightness.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Alex Rodriguez November 7th 05 08:45 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

In article .com,
says...

Seems to me all quick release skewers should come with some kind of
locking mechanism that would prevent loosening after it was fastened.

If tightened properly, the cam mechanism keeps the QR closed. You have to
increase the tension to get over the cam's high spot before you can release
the wheel.

Even if the skewer were tightened just a little it would not unscrew,
never getting loose enough to bypass the lawyer lips.

I'm sure you could feel the front wheel moving around.
----------------
Alex

Llatikcuf November 8th 05 07:54 AM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

If tightened properly, the cam mechanism keeps the QR closed. You have to
increase the tension to get over the cam's high spot before you can release
the wheel.

This is true

I'm sure you could feel the front wheel moving around.

Yes I'm sure you could. We were talking about kids who buy their bikes
at walmart.... You or I and the story is different.

-Nate

Alex Rodriguez November 8th 05 05:54 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

In article .com,
says...

Yes I'm sure you could. We were talking about kids who buy their bikes
at walmart.... You or I and the story is different.

Agreed. The staff should be requred to leave instructions on the wheel and
show the parents how to operate the QR before they walk out of the store.
Make each parent sign a statement saying they were instructed in the proper
use of a QR would be a good idea.
-------------
Alex

Vee November 8th 05 10:57 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
In article .com,
says...

Yes I'm sure you could. We were talking about kids who buy their bikes
at walmart.... You or I and the story is different.

Agreed. The staff should be requred to leave instructions on the wheel and
show the parents how to operate the QR before they walk out of the store.
Make each parent sign a statement saying they were instructed in the proper
use of a QR would be a good idea.
-------------
Alex

Do you read warning labels (such as instructions on the wheel or QR
lever)? Have you tried demonstrating QR operation to people? There is
no way to guaranty that somebody understands QR operation without
forcing them to secure the wheel right in front of you. That can be
awkward, time-consuming, and sometimes patronizing. "Wheels not
straight... you didn't hook the brake up right... lever's not tight
enough..."

Imagine placing this burden on a $6/hr clerk at Walmart.

-Vee