CycleBanter.com

-   -   bigger lawyer lips on the way? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=115232)

Jasper Janssen November 9th 05 12:31 AM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

On 8 Nov 2005 13:57:14 -0800, "Vee" wrote:

Imagine placing this burden on a $6/hr clerk at Walmart.

So they have to hire someone with actual brains for a change. How is this
bad?

Jasper

Vee November 9th 05 02:20 AM

Jasper Janssen wrote:
On 8 Nov 2005 13:57:14 -0800, "Vee" wrote:

Imagine placing this burden on a $6/hr clerk at Walmart.

So they have to hire someone with actual brains for a change. How is this
bad?

To hire people with actual brains, they would have to offer actual pay
and actual benefits. Next thing you know, these braniac employees
would form a union and destroy poor, defenseless Walmart from within.
You must hate America to even suggest such a thing.

The more realistic solution is to stop selling bikes with QR's, as
someone else suggested.

-Vee

Joshua Putnam November 9th 05 06:14 AM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

In article , adr5
@columbia.edu says...
In article .com,
says...

Yes I'm sure you could. We were talking about kids who buy their bikes
at walmart.... You or I and the story is different.

Agreed. The staff should be requred to leave instructions on the wheel and
show the parents how to operate the QR before they walk out of the store.
Make each parent sign a statement saying they were instructed in the proper
use of a QR would be a good idea.

Thinking back on my bike shop days, there were some customers who
could be shown a dozen times how to use a quick release, but the next
time they came in to have me fix a flat, sure enough, it's a wing-nut
again, screwed down finger-tight in the open position.

Saying the quick release isn't intuitive is far too mild: some people
simple won't get it no matter how many times they're shown. We even
had one of those chrome Bridgestone Q/R demonstration stands, we'd
show people how the things worked and make them do it, too. But
they'd come back a week later using it like a wingnut.

I did convince some of them to switch to threaded skewers, but others
just really liked the convenience of wing nuts....

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Phil, Squid-in-Training November 9th 05 10:27 AM

Vee wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:
On 8 Nov 2005 13:57:14 -0800, "Vee" wrote:

Imagine placing this burden on a $6/hr clerk at Walmart.

So they have to hire someone with actual brains for a change. How is
this bad?

To hire people with actual brains, they would have to offer actual pay
and actual benefits. Next thing you know, these braniac employees
would form a union and destroy poor, defenseless Walmart from within.
You must hate America to even suggest such a thing.

The more realistic solution is to stop selling bikes with QR's, as
someone else suggested.

Thank goodness the disc-brakes on bikes that Walmart sells don't work.
Imagine the lawsuits from wheel ejection then!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Alex Rodriguez November 9th 05 08:09 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

In article . com,
says...

Do you read warning labels (such as instructions on the wheel or QR
lever)? Have you tried demonstrating QR operation to people? There is
no way to guaranty that somebody understands QR operation without
forcing them to secure the wheel right in front of you. That can be
awkward, time-consuming, and sometimes patronizing. "Wheels not
straight... you didn't hook the brake up right... lever's not tight
enough..."

Imagine placing this burden on a $6/hr clerk at Walmart.

Take your pick $6/hr clerk spends 1 hour with customer or $6million lawsuit
plus lawyer costs.
----------------
Alex

Vee November 9th 05 11:46 PM

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
In article . com,
says...

Do you read warning labels (such as instructions on the wheel or QR
lever)? Have you tried demonstrating QR operation to people? There is
no way to guaranty that somebody understands QR operation without
forcing them to secure the wheel right in front of you. That can be
awkward, time-consuming, and sometimes patronizing. "Wheels not
straight... you didn't hook the brake up right... lever's not tight
enough..."

Imagine placing this burden on a $6/hr clerk at Walmart.

Take your pick $6/hr clerk spends 1 hour with customer or $6million lawsuit
plus lawyer costs.
----------------
Alex

Yes, imagine a $6/hr clerk spending an hour with a customer. Imagine
how effective and pleasant that would be. Besides, how long does it
take Walmart to sell a million bikes, thus exceeding the cost of the
lawsuit that probably won't be avoided anyways?

-Vee

SriBikeJi November 10th 05 02:51 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

I don't know, I've seen people tighten down quick-releases by using the
lever as leverage to screw it down -- like a wrench handle, they had no
idea you had to close it to tighten it down! And these were adults!!

Me too. I was even on a mountain bike ride once where a bike near me
was making noises - turned out the wheel wasn't even tightened. The
fellow was counting on the lips to hold it on. Another reason to file
them off.

SriBikeJi November 10th 05 02:54 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per :

I drink _tea_.

That one made my Keepers file.

I have a lot of silly, off-point stuff in mine too. If it makes me
laugh, it goes in the stupid file. If it makes me laugh and is relevant
it goes with the other legit stuff.

SriBikeJi November 10th 05 03:00 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Bruce Gilbert:

One of my riding buddies (about 50 years of racing) had a crack up one
morning. He failed to adequately tighten the QR on his rear wheel....

My point here is that these sort of accidents can and do happen.

I've never had an accident. I'm still trying to train myself to check QR
tension before getting on the bike. I do it sometimes and when I remember that
I forgot, I stop and do it right then and there.

Having said that, one day I pulled the bike off the carrier on the back of my
car, got on it, and rode off: no check. First time I applied the front brake
it felt funny. Turned out front skewer was *really* loose - i.e. just a little
more and the wheel would have come out. As it was, the lawyer lips probably
saved me.

[snip]

Or maybe the "lips" contributed to the accident. I have noticed that
the lips keep the wheel on even when they aren't adequately tightened.
That's the point of them. I don't think that's a good thing.

I think you would have noticed a problem if the "lips" had been filed
off. You would have arrived at your destination without your front
wheel. Or more likely, you would have noticed the problem when the
wheel feel off while you were loading the bike.

Jasper Janssen November 10th 05 06:29 PM

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:00:36 GMT, SriBikeJi wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Having said that, one day I pulled the bike off the carrier on the back of my
car, got on it, and rode off: no check. First time I applied the front brake
it felt funny. Turned out front skewer was *really* loose - i.e. just a little
more and the wheel would have come out. As it was, the lawyer lips probably
saved me.

[snip]

Or maybe the "lips" contributed to the accident. I have noticed that
the lips keep the wheel on even when they aren't adequately tightened.
That's the point of them. I don't think that's a good thing.

I think you would have noticed a problem if the "lips" had been filed
off. You would have arrived at your destination without your front
wheel. Or more likely, you would have noticed the problem when the
wheel feel off while you were loading the bike.

You're making unwarranted assumptions, to wit: that the QR was loose when
the bike was loaded, and it didn't happen from vibration from the road;
that the QR was fully undone while unloading, when it could have been just
partially undone and gone the rest of the way while riding; that thus the
wheel would in fact have fallen off without lawyer lips before he got on
the bike.

Jasper