CycleBanter.com

-   -   cleaning (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=56453)

phenian March 29th 04 09:46 PM

cleaning

I have the Haynes Bike Book, which says about removing the sprocket
'take the opportunity to clean the cassette thoroughly, then flush the body
through with solvent. Then oil with heavy mineral oil through the gap....'

What kind of solvent would you use and what kind of oil?

cheers

Just zis Guy, you know? March 29th 04 09:56 PM

cleaning

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:46:12 +0100, "phenian"
wrote in message
:

I have the Haynes Bike Book, which says about removing the sprocket
'take the opportunity to clean the cassette thoroughly, then flush the body
through with solvent. Then oil with heavy mineral oil through the gap....'
What kind of solvent would you use and what kind of oil?

Never done that - I wonder what they mean? The freehub body? If so
I'd prolly use my usual citrus solvent and Shimano slippery spit.

--
Guy
===

Sandy Morton March 30th 04 01:15 AM

cleaning

In article , phenian
wrote:
I have the Haynes Bike Book, which says about removing the sprocket
'take the opportunity to clean the cassette thoroughly, then flush
the body through with solvent. Then oil with heavy mineral oil
through the gap....'

What kind of solvent would you use and what kind of oil?

Acetone.

SAE 30.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island

Pete Biggs March 30th 04 01:18 AM

cleaning

phenian wrote:
I have the Haynes Bike Book, which says about removing the sprocket
'take the opportunity to clean the cassette thoroughly, then flush
the body through with solvent. Then oil with heavy mineral oil
through the gap....'

That doesn't make any sense.

What kind of solvent would you use and what kind of oil?

None and none until I knew what I was working on. I suggest using the
Haynes book for toilet paper and referring to the following websites
intead:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

http://www.sheldonbrown.com

~PB

mark March 30th 04 05:51 AM

cleaning

"Pete Biggs" wrote...
phenian wrote:
I have the Haynes Bike Book, which says about removing the sprocket
'take the opportunity to clean the cassette thoroughly, then flush
the body through with solvent. Then oil with heavy mineral oil
through the gap....'

That doesn't make any sense.

Actually it sounds a lot like instructions for cleaning a freewheel, not a
cassette (remember those?).
--
mark

Pete Biggs March 30th 04 10:59 AM

cleaning

mark wrote:
"Pete Biggs" wrote...
phenian wrote:
I have the Haynes Bike Book, which says about removing the sprocket
'take the opportunity to clean the cassette thoroughly, then flush
the body through with solvent. Then oil with heavy mineral oil
through the gap....'

That doesn't make any sense.

Actually it sounds a lot like instructions for cleaning a freewheel,
not a cassette (remember those?).

It does a bit but they don't have a "cassette" (set of _splined_
sprockets). They might mean freewheel or sprockets but they're causing
confusion.

Anyway, is it a good idea to regularly flush and oil a freewheel like
that?

~PB

Roger Hughes March 30th 04 11:29 AM

cleaning

Pete Biggs wrote:

Anyway, is it a good idea to regularly flush and oil a freewheel like
that?

Well, the insides do crud up a bit. But on the whole I'd shy away from
"heavy mineral oil" because you don't want anything that's going to form
a thick enough gloop to glue the pawls down.

mark March 30th 04 03:46 PM

cleaning

"Pete Biggs" wrote
Anyway, is it a good idea to regularly flush and oil a freewheel like
that?

~PB

ISTR folllowing a similar procedure, using Phil Wood Tenacious Oil. It
seemed to get a fair bit of crud out of the freewheel, and I don't recall
any ill effects.
--
mark

Simon Mason March 31st 04 01:28 PM

cleaning

"Sandy Morton" wrote in message
In article , phenian
wrote:
I have the Haynes Bike Book, which says about removing the sprocket
'take the opportunity to clean the cassette thoroughly, then flush
the body through with solvent. Then oil with heavy mineral oil
through the gap....'

What kind of solvent would you use and what kind of oil?

Acetone.

Actually acetone is pretty rubbish as a solvent for oil, it's more useful
for nail varnish and paint. For oil you need something like petrol, diesel
or Gunk (tm).
Simon M.

MSeries March 31st 04 08:37 PM

cleaning

wrote:
I have the Haynes Bike Book, which says about removing the sprocket
'take the opportunity to clean the cassette thoroughly, then flush
the body through with solvent. Then oil with heavy mineral oil
through the gap....'

What kind of solvent would you use and what kind of oil?

Acetone.

Actually acetone is pretty rubbish as a solvent for oil, it's more
useful for nail varnish and paint. For oil you need something like
petrol, diesel or Gunk (tm).
Simon M.

I use Diesel, cheap and easy to get, from my fuel tank.