CycleBanter.com

-   Australia (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Patches for punctures? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=113056)

Davidm June 28th 05 01:07 PM

Patches for punctures?

"dtmeister" wrote in message
u...
Having been cursed with Maxxis 'Detanators', I get punctures every
week or so.

Dreadful tyres. I put up with them for maybe 2000km and I think averaged a
puncture every 20km! Since then I went to Maxxis Re-fuse and have not had a
puncture yet, in maybe 2000km or so...probably more than that actually.

Cheers
David M

Marty June 28th 05 01:28 PM

Patches for punctures?

Davidm wrote:
"dtmeister" wrote in message
u...

Having been cursed with Maxxis 'Detanators', I get punctures every
week or so.

Dreadful tyres. I put up with them for maybe 2000km and I think averaged a
puncture every 20km! Since then I went to Maxxis Re-fuse and have not had a
puncture yet, in maybe 2000km or so...probably more than that actually.

Cheers
David M

Dave

Bruce once bought a roll of punture repair stuff. It was about a metre
long and two inches wide, (metric inches of course). He cut up his own
patches to any size he wants. He STILL has some of that same roll!
He's in Switzerland at the moment riding around the alps, he'll be back
in about another two months.

Marty

Davidm June 28th 05 01:50 PM

Patches for punctures?

"Marty" wrote in message

Dave

Bruce once bought a roll of punture repair stuff. It was about a metre
long and two inches wide, (metric inches of course). He cut up his own
patches to any size he wants. He STILL has some of that same roll!
He's in Switzerland at the moment riding around the alps, he'll be back in
about another two months.

I think that sounds like a freaking excellent idea. The patches, and the
cycling trip through Switzerland in their summer. Presumably he'll be
somewhere to see the TdF go by? It's been a long time since I saw Bruce -
probably I was in early high school I guess or thereabouts...

Cheers
David M

Gags June 28th 05 03:17 PM

Patches for punctures?

"dtmeister" wrote in message
u...
Davidm wrote:

"dtmeister" wrote in message
u...
Having been cursed with Maxxis 'Detanators', I get punctures every
week or so.

Dreadful tyres. I put up with them for maybe 2000km and I think averaged

puncture every 20km! Since then I went to Maxxis Re-fuse and have not

had a
puncture yet, in maybe 2000km or so...probably more than that actually.

I have Conti Gatorskins on another bike, and they have ~4000km with no
punctures. So I'm moving these to replace the Maxxis, and replacing them
with new Gatorskins. Only downside is they're $50 eachat the LBS. :(

100% cycles have the Ultra Gatorskins for $42 each (plus you get $5 store
credit for next order). I have bought from these guys online a couple of
time and they are pretty good to deal with and deliver pretty quickly.

http://www.100percentcycles.com.au/m...fm?product=191

Cheers,

Gags

Bleve June 29th 05 08:53 AM

Patches for punctures?

I've just started using glueless patches - they're more expensive
(~$2.50 per patch for the ones I'm testing for my LBS) but they make up
for the cost with speed and convenience of patch application! They
rock. Glue begone ...

BrettS June 29th 05 10:04 AM

Patches for punctures?

Bleve wrote:

I've just started using glueless patches - they're more expensive
(~$2.50 per patch for the ones I'm testing for my LBS) but they make up
for the cost with speed and convenience of patch application! They
rock. Glue begone ...

Ahh, I remember as a young bloke my dad patching tyres for me using the
old fashioned vulcanising patches that you lit up. Man those were the days!

--
BrettS

HUMBUG June 29th 05 10:27 AM

Patches for punctures?

On 29/06/05 at 17:53:39 Bleve somehow managed to type:

I've just started using glueless patches - they're more expensive
(~$2.50 per patch for the ones I'm testing for my LBS) but they make
up for the cost with speed and convenience of patch application! They
rock. Glue begone ...

Unless they've improved in the last couple of years the glueless
patches are only good until you get the time and enthusiasm together to
patch the sucker properly. Usually if you puncture the same tyre again
the first glueless patch will come off leaving you with two holes to
patch.

It doesn't seem to matter what tyres I use I usually end up with 3 or 4
flats / week. Hopefully that'll change after July 5 when I start a new
contract with a new commute route, hopefully with a LOT less car
litter. The BIG bonus is that I'll get Thursday nights OFF.

--
Humbug

PhD Puncture repairs

Peter McCallum June 29th 05 11:58 AM

Patches for punctures?

BrettS wrote:
Ahh, I remember as a young bloke my dad patching tyres for me using the
old fashioned vulcanising patches that you lit up. Man those were the days!

yeah, and the fumes calm the nerves too!

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

aeek June 29th 05 12:21 PM

Patches for punctures?

BrettS Wrote:

Ahh, I remember as a young bloke my dad patching tyres for me usin
the
old fashioned vulcanising patches that you lit up. Man those were th
days!

My patching technique seems to deteriorated badly. I need a vulcanisin
kit

--
aeek

Gumby June 29th 05 12:51 PM

Patches for punctures?

Bleve wrote:
I've just started using glueless patches - they're more expensive
(~$2.50 per patch for the ones I'm testing for my LBS) but they make up
for the cost with speed and convenience of patch application! They
rock. Glue begone ...

two dollars fifty per patch
one snakebite then costs you five bucks

a new tube costs seven

just carry a swiss army knife and *cut* the big patches into little ones
and glue them when you get home
steven