CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what to wash cycling clothes with . . . (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=234890)

anon a mouse February 24th 12 03:07 AM

what to wash cycling clothes with . . .

Most of the tags say to use "mild detergent." Well, how exactly do I
know if its "mild?" I used to use Woolite, but read somewhere that I
shouldn't be. (Have no idea why.) So, what should I use?

Joy Beeson February 25th 12 05:12 AM

what to wash cycling clothes with . . .

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 18:07:50 -0800 (PST), anon a mouse
wrote:

Most of the tags say to use "mild detergent." Well, how exactly do I
know if its "mild?" I used to use Woolite, but read somewhere that I
shouldn't be. (Have no idea why.) So, what should I use?

If the clothes are expensive, you should undress directly into the
washing machine and run them through a cold or lukewarm rinse cycle
with no additives at all -- this removes sweat that would, if allowed
to dry, rot the fabric, and it wears them less than a third as much as
a full wash. Dry on suit hangers.

Wool and silk so treated won't stink, but it eventually gets dingy.
Before that happens, I wash my cycling clothes with the same blue
liquid I use on everything else, but rinse them twice to make sure no
detergent is left in them to irritate my skin.

I put undiluted blue liquid on chain-grease marks, but it doesn't help
much. This treatment does take out skin-oil stains, if they haven't
been allowed to accumulate.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net