CycleBanter.com

-   Australia (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Cycling Around Ausrtralia in 56 Days (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=60669)

Phillip Jang July 27th 04 02:53 AM

Cycling Around Ausrtralia in 56 Days

Eugen Schilter of Eastwood will attempt to ride around Australia in 56 Days.
Starting 1Aug, Total distance of 14,580km.

For more information can be found at www.aa56.net
There is a symbolic send-off and everybody is welcome

Saturday 31 July 1pm 'The five Ways' (280 North Rd) Eastwood, Sydney

Sender-off: the Mayor of Ryde Mr Terry Perram.

Sponsored by: the FAMILY CYCLE CENTRE & the RUCOLA Cafe Ristorante.
Some refreshments available.

Alan Erskine July 27th 04 05:47 AM

"Phillip Jang" wrote in message
Eugen Schilter of Eastwood will attempt to ride around Australia in 56

Days.
Starting 1Aug, Total distance of 14,580km.

Is he taking a short cut? I think Australia's coastline is more like
30,000km and the road follows, roughly.

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

cfsmtb July 27th 04 07:32 AM

Cycling Around Ausrtralia in 56 Days

Doesn't Perry Stone hold the record?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/teamprofi.../stone00.shtml

http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/...php?s=12&a=236

--
cfsmtb

permanently bewildered since the late 1960's

marcusl July 27th 04 08:17 AM

cfsmtb Wrote:
Doesn't Perry Stone hold the record?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/teamprofi.../stone00.shtml

http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/...php?s=12&a=236

yep he does...i was just reading about it the other day....

http://australia.bikestories.com/Rid...%20Canvas1.htm

out of the 57 days, seems he had 4 off for bike repairs and 1 for
illness.
the 41 day ride was assisted (like that makes it less of an
achivevement!)

I think i prefer the 357 day option myself ;)

marcus

--
marcusl

Peter Signorini July 27th 04 08:58 AM

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
"Phillip Jang" wrote in message
Eugen Schilter of Eastwood will attempt to ride around Australia in 56

Days.
Starting 1Aug, Total distance of 14,580km.

Is he taking a short cut? I think Australia's coastline is more like
30,000km and the road follows, roughly.

That would be via the recognised Highway 1 route, something over 14000kms.
The coastline takes an awful lot more bends and loops, and there's no road
(eg.the Kimberly coast)

Cheers
Peter

Around Australia Recumbent Style July 27th 04 12:08 PM

"marcusl" wrote in message

cfsmtb Wrote:
Doesn't Perry Stone hold the record?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/teamprofi.../stone00.shtml

http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/...php?s=12&a=236

yep he does...i was just reading about it the other day....

http://australia.bikestories.com/Rid...%20Canvas1.htm

out of the 57 days, seems he had 4 off for bike repairs and 1 for
illness.
the 41 day ride was assisted (like that makes it less of an
achivevement!)

I think i prefer the 357 day option myself ;)

marcus

--
marcusl

He also did an un-assisted ride towing a Bob trailer though I forget how
long it took him.

regards,

Andrew

mikeg July 28th 04 06:35 AM

marcusl Wrote:
yep he does...i was just reading about it the other day....

PS. might go and see this guy off....seems he's setting off just up the
road from me. I'm halfway between 5 ways and Midway... if that makes
sense!! :)

I grew up Banksia Street just up North Road from Midway

That would be some feat - 14,580 km in 56 days means an a daily average

of 260 km and an average speed of 26 to 33 km/h for a daily ride time
of 8 to 10 hours

mikeg

--
mikeg