CycleBanter.com

-   Unicycling (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Which one to buy (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=198440)

jamoctopus December 26th 08 05:35 PM

Which one to buy

Hello everyone!

For a christmas present, i got a giftcard to amazon.
I'm looking for a good unicycle for a beginner.
Can anyone help?
Thanks!

[image: http://photosnag.com/img/1789/y08m1110mhmd/2.gif]

--
jamoctopus

jamoctopus December 26th 08 07:54 PM

Which one to buy

I'm 6'1.

Are unicyles hard to ride?

--
jamoctopus

hobo_chuck December 26th 08 08:11 PM

Which one to buy

Are unicyles hard to ride?

Not if you take the time to learn how:p

What kind of riding do you want to do?

--
hobo_chuck

__i_wear_a_skateboard_helmet_over_a_bike_helmet_
-~catinabag1-

McNerdius[_2_] December 27th 08 01:07 AM

Which one to buy

jamoctopus;1158437 wrote:
Hello everyone!

For a christmas present, i got a giftcard to amazon.
I'm looking for a good unicycle for a beginner.
Can anyone help?
Thanks!

[image: http://photosnag.com/img/1789/y08m1110mhmd/2.gif]

Torker LX 20" all the way. yeah there are those that will say you're
tall so a 24 is better... I had a 24" for 2 years and couldn't do
anything on it. Got my 20" 2 weeks ago... put in 6-7 hours of practice
and i can go about 100m in between falls. And i can *now* ride the 24
just as well. I'm 6'1 as well.

For about 200 you could get a torker lx 24", and the 20" cx wheelset
from unicycle.com , and in effect have a 20" *AND* a 24. That's what i
did, and it's Good Stuff.

--
McNerdius

jamoctopus December 27th 08 09:57 PM

Which one to buy

Well, i got into unicycling after i saw somone do it at the park.
Umm is this the correct link
http://tinyurl.com/axu6b7

One of those?

--
jamoctopus

McNerdius[_2_] December 28th 08 12:02 AM

Which one to buy

jamoctopus;1159267 wrote:
Well, i got into unicycling after i saw somone do it at the park.
Umm is this the correct link
http://tinyurl.com/axu6b7

One of those?

yeah, it's #5 on that list... at least when i click on it. $96 is a
good buy for the LX/20... a good site to check out is www.unicycle.com,
they generally have the best selection/price combo out there. generally
:) Just whatever you do, dont be tempted by the torker cx. Haven't
owned one, but apparently they SUCK, and considering they're only a tad
cheaper than the lx, which is EXCELLENT, it is just totally not worth
it.

--
McNerdius

feel the light December 28th 08 12:04 AM

Which one to buy

Just make sure you get the Torker Lx, and not the much crappier cx
model.

A 20 is easier to free mount, idle, or ride backwards, when you first
learn. Yet the 24 is smoother and much more pleasant for touring around
the neighborhood as a beginner. So they are both good choices. I would
suggest buying an lx 20 now, and a 24 or 26 " muni later, if you really
like riding around a lot.

--
feel the light

jamoctopus December 28th 08 04:11 PM

Which one to buy

o ok.

For the guides, where would i check?

--
jamoctopus

McNerdius[_2_] December 28th 08 04:24 PM

Which one to buy

jamoctopus;1159571 wrote:
o ok.

For the guides, where would i check?

i'll assume you mean "how to" guides... ?

there is a load of "how to learn" info he
http://tinyurl.com/4upa78

there is a load of general info he
http://unicyclist.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32
---
otherwise though, search is your friend. this thing's been around
pretty much since the internet began, and there is not a whole lot of
"new" beginner info to be discovered... it's all already out there, ya
know ?

--
McNerdius

cbs December 28th 08 06:02 PM

Which one to buy

so whats so bad about the cx? i have one to learn on. i got it for
$40, thats why. will it make riding it harder or just break easier?

--
cbs