CycleBanter.com

-   Social Issues (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Can't We All Just Get Along? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=245412)

EdwardDolan September 21st 14 11:36 PM

Can't We All Just Get Along?

Blackblade and other idiots like him think trails can be shared. Yea, we can all be just one happy family enjoying what nature has to offer, no matter our mode of transport. Hells Bells, we can't even share what is so easily available in the cities – roads and streets galore. Read the latest example of what happens when barbarians like Blackblade just wants to do what he wants to do. If you want to live in civilized society enjoying the good life, not everyone can do whatever he wants to do. Elementary my dear Watson!

From: gwyn wahlmann
Subject: regarding Multi-Use Trails
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:50:34 -0500

From the 700+ comment section following today's NYTimes article,
"Death on a Bike," I started a collection of complaints regarding
bike/pedestrian sharing, but there were far too many to
continue. Suffice it to say, bikes and pedestrians are not a good
mix on the streets, so why would they be on trails? Here are a few
comments.......

A. Stanton

Dallas, TX 5 hours ago

And then there's the other side of the story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/20/ny...tical-conditio....

Uniack

Woodside, NY 5 hours ago

Today a woman was mowed down by a bicyclist on a racing bike, riding
at excessive speed in an urban setting and not on a bike path. So
what's your point?
I don't recall a case where a pedestrian was responsible for injury
or death because they ran into a bike or auto.
Anyone who has been hit by a careless cycler, as I have been, would
be more sympathetic if there were strict regulations strictly
enforced for both drivers and riders.

ellieny

is a trusted commenter New York 2 hours ago

And what about people who walk? RIding a bike to work may be
hip/cool/sexy, but some people enjoy just walking. Some enjoy it so
much they don't even own bikes or cars.

Crashes like the one described in this article happen all the time in
New York City, but here it's not just bikers being hit. It's also
pedestrians (being hit by both cars and bikes), and I believe walker
fatalities exceed biker fatalities. Just yesterday the wife of CBS
executive was mowed down by a biker while she was walking through
Central Park on a nice fall day. She sustained massive head injuries
and is now on life support at NY Pres-Weill Cornell.

CMK

Honolulu 2 hours ago

I drive, motorcycle, bicycle and walk. I always believed that
separating pedestrians for motor traffic was a good idea. Then I was
mowed down by a bike and I thought, we have to separate cars and
bikes and pedestrians. Lately, I have also been sharing the sidewalks
with segues and electric scooters. I don't know what the solutions
a laws, zones, use schedules, permits, physical barriers? Don't
get me started on ocean activities: boating, sailing, swimming,
diving, fishing, surfing. We should be assured that doing a legal
activity is reasonably safe.

Maurice

New York, N.Y. 4 hours ago

The situation in Central Park is appalling. There is no policing in
the roadways or elsewhere. Cyclists (and others---I almost got
impacted by a skate boarder this afternoon) ignore red lights and
instead the pedestrian is cautioned to look both ways before crossing
even when he has the right of way with a green light.Everyone ignores
the nice neat signs saying "no bike riding on paths" and there is no
one to enforce it. Try riding between 59th St and 72nd street. And
woe to the early morning walker or leisure biker when the Tour de
France hopefuls are practicing.

The Police Department abandoned its enforcement to the Parks
Department which, I suppose, abandoned it in turn to the Central Park
Conservancy which appears to run the park and state what you can and cannot do.

Sydney

Tucson, AZ 6 hours ago

Unfortunately, cyclists are often as cavalier about the safety of
pedestrians as motorists are of theirs. Might makes right, I guess.

Surgres

New York 6 hours ago

Today in NYC a cyclist hit a pedestrian and caused her to suffer
brain death. The accident happened in Central Park and the cyclist
was going at a high speed, in the wrong lane, on a high-end racing
bike. Cyclists have no right to speed or to disobey traffic laws, and
yet they do. We cannot discuss safety unless cyclists take greater
responsibility. Pedestrians must always be the top priority!

sad taxpayer

NY, NY 7 hours ago

Westchester has a wonderful north south bike path. Guess what? Bike
riders refuse to use it, opting for narrow adjecent two-lines roads
full of cars. There reason? The bike path is also used by slow riding
children and adult walkers. The size and speed difference between
those two groups pales when bike riders are compared with truck and
cars, yet the bike paths are underused while the Westchester
bicyclists crowd the cars and trucks on the roads.

Just a thought

New York 7 hours ago

I've never been hit by a car; been hit 3 times by a bike. Let's talk reality.

Shall we hear a NYT story of the brain-dead woman hit by a speeding
cyclist in Central Park yesterday?

Pedestrians need protection from rogue cyclists as much as from
speeding drivers.

bignybugs

new york 7 hours ago

and when on your bike, whizzing along, the wind in your face, don't
forget that there are people even more vulnerable than you a pedestrians ...

Sandra

Portland 7 hours ago

Yesterday, a woman in New York was struck by a fast-moving bicyclist
and now is in critical condition. Yes, drivers need to be careful,
but so do bicyclists. My city is as bike crazy as Seattle (maybe
more), and at any given moment you can see bikes flying through red
lights or edging pedestrians off walking paths. Rarely are they
ticketed by police. I drive, I bike and I walk; all three have their
own share of danger. Perhaps the best place to start is by agreeing
to be civil to each other and accepting that the rules of the road,
including traffic signals and stop signs, apply to all of us.

J Nuccio

Oregon 7 hours ago

I was recently in the Netherlands and what they also have is
designated bike paths - not part of a road to share - but separate
paved paths. Often they share the sidewalks with pedestrians but I
did notice that bikes rule! I have been hit by a car - at a low speed
- so all I suffered was a broken thumb. But I have not felt confident
since and do not bike much in traffic now. I would like to see in the
US is the same types of bike paths as are available in the Netherlands.
Recommend
NYT Pick
stephanie

ny, ny 6 hours ago

For good or ill, we are not the Netherlands. And thanks, but no
thanks; the last thing a walking city like NY needs is bikes on the
sidewalks. Dealing with other pedestrians is dangerous enough.

I think the entire notion of attempting to turn NYC into a small
European town (Yes, Mr. Bloomberg, this one's for you) is ludicrous--
and encouraging more cyclists to place themselves and pedestrians in
peril, unconscionable.
10Recommended

Janice

NYC 2 hours ago

I agree wholeheartedly with stephanie. The thing I always disliked
about Amsterdam was dealing with trying to cross the street with
cars, trucks, trolleys and bikes all whizzing along. There were
always intersections in Amsterdam where I had to wait for a native to
come along so I could accompany them across the street since I
couldn't figure out how to get safely across! It was always so great
to come home to New York where there were no bikes and crossing the
street was straightforward and simple. That's all gone now.

I really dislike what has happened with the advent of the Bloomberg
bike lanes. Traveling in New York City has become a nightmare since
all of the bike lanes have been put in. There has been no major
increase in the availability of public transportation to offset the
loss of road space so traffic is always a problem now over much of
the city. There has been no serious or effective attempt to educate
or regulate cyclists. Crossing the street is harder with bikes riding
in the wrong direction, on sidewalks, too fast or not stopping when
they should. I wish a mayor would come along with the chutzpah to get
rid of all the bike lanes and the Citibikes and return the streets
back to normal.
1Recommend

Casual Observer

Los Angeles 6 hours ago

gonealgo,

How many of your bicycle riding acquaintances understand how much
damage they can cause to a pedestrian in a collision -- that
pedestrians have been maimed and killed by collisions with bicycle
riders? How many understand that if a bicycle rider is moving at the
same speed as an automobile following right behind it and they both
must stop that the bicycle will stop in a far shorter distance than the auto?

SY

NYC 8 hours ago

Any death is a cause for sadness, and the death of this young woman
cyclist means great loss for friends and family. But as a non biking
pedestrian in the city, and a man of a certain age, one who uses a
cane for long walks, I find that the cyclists have added a new, great
hazard to those of us who still use our legs to get around in this
city. I have seen them riding facing traffic instead of with the
flow, and every day there is at lead one adult cyclist who is
blithely riding on the sidewalk. Licensing and policing are needed -
for the good of the pedestrians and for the cyclists themselves.

Tony

New York 8 hours ago

Didn't a cyclist run into and kill a pedestrian in Central Park just
this week? It's not just cyclists vs. motorized vehicles, it's
cyclists vs. pedestrians.
5Recommended

DSM

Westfield 9 hours ago

Although the writer notes how arrogant and reckless he finds
bicyclists when he is driving a car, he ignores the far more
important issue--bicyclists routinely injure or kill pedestrians by
speeding down streets the wrong way; racing up behind pedestrians
then colliding with those who step to the side to avoid a puddle, not
knowing the bicyclist is there; jumping on and off sidewalks; etc.
Alec Baldwin is the only bicyclist I have ever seen or read of
getting ticketed for such behavior.

George

NYC 10 hours ago

At my age of 82, I do not ride a bike. Nor do I drive. But I walk a
lot. I find bicycles are far more dangerous in New York City than any
other vehicle. Too many speedy delivery men on bicycles, who, after
an accident, claim they speak no English. Too many bicyclists on the
sidewalks, who would rather endanger pedestrians than submit to
danger themselves on the streets . Bicyclists should be licensed with
small plates visible on their bikes. And traffic laws enforced,
especially after an accident.

richard kopperdahl

new york city 15 hours ago

I haven't seen as many white memorial bikes in town since the
proliferation of bike lanes. I'm and old guy and I have more close
encounters on the streets and sidewalks with bikes than I do with
autos. They often go the wrong way on bike lanes, they don't respect
red lights and although there are periodic crackdowns on wayward and
criminal bike riders, they're soon back to their free-weeling ways.

A woman was struck yesterday by a $4,000 racing bike in Central Park.
The bike rider was speeding in a car lane and yelled for the woman to
get out of the way before he struck her. She is "brain dead"
according to a New York Post report.
12Recommend

TheOwl

New England 15 hours ago

Interesting story in the papers today of the mindless cyclist hitting
a pedestrian in a crosswalk and rendering her brain dead.

Cyclist was speeding and not in the bike lane. His only apparent
effort to avoid the accident was to shout "get out of the way".

Mr. Egan's zeal to defend the cyclists seems to run headlong into an
agument that suggests that cyclists need to be considerate of the
rights of those who use more conventional modes of
transportation...like their feet ! ! !

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

Blackblade[_2_] September 23rd 14 11:23 AM

Can't We All Just Get Along?

So, clearly, the solution is to get more people mountainbiking so they are not endangering pedestrians in the park where there is much congestion.

EdwardDolan September 25th 14 04:46 AM

Can't We All Just Get Along?

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

So, clearly, the solution is to get more people mountainbiking so they are not endangering pedestrians in the park where there is much congestion.

Cycling on hiking trails only works if in fact there is no congestion. In those places where there is congestion, it doesn't work ... as any fool can tell you! But I am against biking on hiking trails whether congested or not because it is a conflict of both means and purpose. Learn how to ride on streets and roads!

Blackblade[_2_] September 25th 14 09:56 AM

Can't We All Just Get Along?

So, clearly, the solution is to get more people mountainbiking so

they are not endangering pedestrians in the park where there is much
congestion.

Cycling on hiking trails only works if in fact there is no
congestion. In those places where there is congestion, it doesn't work ... as
any fool can tell you!

Congestion is, indeed, always an issue whether of hikers, bikers, equestrians or a mix of all those user groups. More congestion equals more conflict.

But I am against biking on hiking trails whether
congested or not because it is a conflict of both means and purpose. Learn how
to ride on streets and roads!

You know what ... you're an idiot. You start a thread pointing out how dangerous it has become to go riding on a road ... then advocate that riders desert the trails and instead ride on the road !

EdwardDolan October 26th 14 08:17 AM

Can't We All Just Get Along?

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

But I am against biking on hiking trails whether
congested or not because it is a conflict of both means and purpose. Learn how
to ride on streets and roads!

You know what ... you're an idiot. You start a thread pointing out how dangerous it has become to go riding on a road ... then advocate that riders desert the trails and instead ride on the road !

Bicycles are wheeled contraptions that were designed for streets and roads.Some roads are extremely dangerous to be cycling, others are relatively safe. The only idiot here, as usual, is you!

Blackblade[_2_] October 28th 14 10:58 AM

Can't We All Just Get Along?

You know what ... you're an idiot.* You start a thread
pointing out how dangerous it has become to go riding on a road ... then
advocate that riders desert the trails and instead ride on the road !

Bicycles are wheeled contraptions that were designed for
streets and roads.Some roads are extremely dangerous to be cycling, others are
relatively safe. The only idiot here, as usual, is you!

And you want to stop riders on relatively safe trails (much lower fatality numbers) and displace them onto more dangerous roads.

EdwardDolan October 29th 14 09:29 AM

Can't We All Just Get Along?

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

You know what ... you're an idiot. You start a thread

pointing out how dangerous it has become to go riding on a road ... then
advocate that riders desert the trails and instead ride on the road !

Bicycles are wheeled contraptions that were designed for
streets and roads. Some roads are extremely dangerous to be cycling, others are
relatively safe. The only idiot here, as usual, is you!

And you want to stop riders on relatively safe trails (much lower fatality numbers) and displace them onto more dangerous roads.

I most definitely want to displace them off of hiking trails. So what else is new!

Blackblade[_2_] October 29th 14 12:53 PM

Can't We All Just Get Along?

And you want to stop riders on relatively safe trails
(much lower fatality numbers) and displace them onto more dangerous roads.

I most definitely want to displace them off of hiking trails.
So what else is new!

Yes, Ed, you want them off hiking trails ... irrespective of the health and safety impact. Precisely my point.

EdwardDolan October 30th 14 08:55 AM

Can't We All Just Get Along?

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

And you want to stop riders on relatively safe trails

(much lower fatality numbers) and displace them onto more dangerous roads.

I most definitely want to displace them off of hiking trails.
So what else is new!

Yes, Ed, you want them off hiking trails ... irrespective of the health and safety impact. Precisely my point.

I have given you dozens of reasons why bikes don’t belong on hiking trails in the course of our correspondence. It is tedious to keep repeating myself for the benefit of an idiot like you. Simply put, your ignorance is unconquerable!

Blackblade[_2_] October 30th 14 11:48 AM

Can't We All Just Get Along?

I have given you dozens of reasons why bikes don't belong on
hiking trails in the course of our correspondence.

And I've disposed of them all as the ramblings of an illogical and irrational fool.