CycleBanter.com

-   -   Conbtinental has come out with a GP5000S and a GP5000TL (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=257063)

[email protected] February 9th 19 06:52 PM

Conbtinental has come out with a GP5000S and a GP5000TL

The first is a clincher while the second is a tubeless. Why should a tubeless tire cost more than a clincher?

Not only do they cost more but you can almost buy a pair of the GP4000's that so many people use for the price of a single GP5000S. It's probably more than $100 for a GP5000TL in a shop in case you run over a killer piece of glass in front of a bike shop.

While Continental is the most popular racing tires (Vittoria is actually a better racing tire IMO) the reason I would change is because the MAXXI tubeless tires I'm presently running feel dead. They actually look narrower than a 25 mm Continental but I just went out into the garage and measured them and they are identical. So I guess the Continental is deeper.

They now have Goodyear tubeless tires and perhaps I try those for the Basso.. They are a little cheaper and my experience with Goodyear car tires is pretty good even though I'm pretty negative about a lot of things.

In any case, the Continentals are WAY too expensive and while the top of the line Vittoria I have are tubeless I will use them as clinchers on my Colnago.

I guess I will wear the Maxxi's out but only on economic principles.

Joerg[_2_] February 9th 19 07:56 PM

On 2019-02-09 09:52, wrote:
The first is a clincher while the second is a tubeless. Why should a
tubeless tire cost more than a clincher?

Because tubeless is the new fad? :-)

ducking

Not only do they cost more but you can almost buy a pair of the
GP4000's that so many people use for the price of a single GP5000S.
It's probably more than $100 for a GP5000TL in a shop in case you run
over a killer piece of glass in front of a bike shop.

I learned pretty soon that paying more than $20 for a road bike tire is
a waste of money. In fact, they can be worse than expensive tires.
Similar for MTB tires.

While Continental is the most popular racing tires (Vittoria is
actually a better racing tire IMO) the reason I would change is
because the MAXXI tubeless tires I'm presently running feel dead.
They actually look narrower than a 25 mm Continental but I just went
out into the garage and measured them and they are identical. So I
guess the Continental is deeper.

They now have Goodyear tubeless tires and perhaps I try those for the
Basso. They are a little cheaper and my experience with Goodyear car
tires is pretty good even though I'm pretty negative about a lot of
things.

In any case, the Continentals are WAY too expensive and while the top
of the line Vittoria I have are tubeless I will use them as clinchers
on my Colnago.

I guess I will wear the Maxxi's out but only on economic principles.

Currently I've got a Vittoria Zafiro on the rear. While it developed
serious flattening of the running surface at around 1000mi it's now
approaching 2000mi and still no thread showing. Best of all, no side
wall wear or damage, something that brought nearly all of my Conti
Gatorskins to grief.

The Zafiros cost me about $14. When they are up I've got Vee Rubber 25mm
tires for $12/piece, let's see how they do.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

[email protected] February 9th 19 10:36 PM

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 6:52:34 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

The 5000S are 41 euros here, the 5000TL 56 euros.

Lou

Tim McNamara February 9th 19 10:44 PM

Conbtinental has come out with a GP5000S and a GP5000TL

On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 10:56:32 -0800, Joerg
On 2019-02-09 09:52, wrote:
The first is a clincher while the second is a tubeless. Why should a
tubeless tire cost more than a clincher?

Because tubeless is the new fad? :-)

Because the casing has to be made so that it holds air without an inner
tube. That's not how clinchers have been made.

[email protected] February 10th 19 07:49 AM

On 2019-02-09 09:52, wrote:

I learned pretty soon that paying more than $20 for a road bike tire is
a waste of money. In fact, they can be worse than expensive tires.
Similar for MTB tires.

That depends on your riding conditions and requirements. I ride on good roads on my road bikes and get 4500 km out of a Continental 4000S(2) rear tire and expect the same from the 5000 so price is not that important.

Lou

Duane[_4_] February 10th 19 03:52 PM

On 2019-02-09 09:52, wrote:

I learned pretty soon that paying more than $20 for a road bike tire is
a waste of money. In fact, they can be worse than expensive tires.
Similar for MTB tires.

That depends on your riding conditions and requirements. I ride on good
roads on my road bikes and get 4500 km out of a Continental 4000S(2) rear
tire and expect the same from the 5000 so price is not that important.

Lou

I get about the same mileage and very few flats. I think I’ve had one flat
in the last 10,000km and that was a tube giving out when I hit a pothole
hard. I ride on roads but I can’t say they’re always good roads.

Maybe Joerg is riding his road bike on single track carrying 4 gallons of
water or something...

--
duane

[email protected] February 10th 19 06:51 PM

On 2019-02-09 09:52, wrote:

I learned pretty soon that paying more than $20 for a road bike tire is
a waste of money. In fact, they can be worse than expensive tires.
Similar for MTB tires.

That depends on your riding conditions and requirements. I ride on good
roads on my road bikes and get 4500 km out of a Continental 4000S(2) rear
tire and expect the same from the 5000 so price is not that important.

Lou

I get about the same mileage and very few flats. I think I’ve had one flat
in the last 10,000km and that was a tube giving out when I hit a pothole
hard. I ride on roads but I can’t say they’re always good roads.

Maybe Joerg is riding his road bike on single track carrying 4 gallons of
water or something...

--
duane

I rode 11000 km last year and had 2 or 3 flats. No way I going to ride crappy cheap tires.

Lou

[email protected] February 10th 19 07:30 PM

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 1:36:33 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Where can I buy them from here?

[email protected] February 10th 19 07:32 PM

On 2019-02-09 09:52, wrote:

I learned pretty soon that paying more than $20 for a road bike tire is
a waste of money. In fact, they can be worse than expensive tires.
Similar for MTB tires.

That depends on your riding conditions and requirements. I ride on good
roads on my road bikes and get 4500 km out of a Continental 4000S(2) rear
tire and expect the same from the 5000 so price is not that important.

Lou

I get about the same mileage and very few flats. I think I’ve had one flat
in the last 10,000km and that was a tube giving out when I hit a pothole
hard. I ride on roads but I can’t say they’re always good roads.

Maybe Joerg is riding his road bike on single track carrying 4 gallons of
water or something...

--
duane

George does ride over gravel roads. Consequently he gets sidewall cuts.

[email protected] February 10th 19 08:00 PM

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 7:30:40 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Co...re-Set-p68415/

Shipping cost to USA euro19,95

Lou