CycleBanter.com

-   -   Tiagra rear derailleur the same pull as an MTB one? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=244355)

Sir Ridesalot May 10th 14 02:12 AM

Tiagra rear derailleur the same pull as an MTB one?

Does a rear Tiagra derailleur have the same cable pull as a MTB one? Trying to get a Tiagra rear derailleur to work with MTB 7 speed shifters.

Thanks and cheers

Sir Ridesalot May 10th 14 02:13 AM

On Friday, May 9, 2014 9:12:09 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Does a rear Tiagra derailleur have the same cable pull as a MTB one? Trying to get a Tiagra rear derailleur to work with MTB 7 speed shifters.

Thanks and cheers

Addendum. MTB shifters are Shimano STX

[email protected] May 10th 14 12:04 PM

Tiagra rear derailleur the same pull as an MTB one?

No they are different.

One source I have says: For the Shimano road 10 speed rear derailleur (2 : 1
cable pull ratio ) the total cable pull is around 24mm. For MTB 10 speed
rear derailleur the cable pull ratio is 1.5 : 1, and the total cable pull is
around 35mm. I think there would be a similar difference with a 7 speed.
Old Bloke

David Scheidt May 10th 14 01:58 PM

Tiagra rear derailleur the same pull as an MTB one?

wrote:
:No they are different.

No, they're the same. Except when they're different. The OP hasn't
provided enough information. If it's less than 10 speeds, you can use
a road or mountain derailleur. For 10 speed mountain, you need a ten
speed mountain derailleur.

--
sig 22

AMuzi May 10th 14 06:23 PM

On 5/9/2014 8:12 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Does a rear Tiagra derailleur have the same cable pull as a MTB one? Trying to get a Tiagra rear derailleur to work with MTB 7 speed shifters.

Thanks and cheers

Yes, compatible, which is not to say there could not be
other troubles.

Gear wire on the correct (inside) side of the anchor?
Gear wire runs freely and is not kinked or damaged?
Derailleur/gear tab are aligned?
Cable tension is correct, i.e., just even (not slack nor
tight) in high gear?
Limit screws are set correctly?
Derailleur is compatible with gear range you're using?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

[email protected] May 10th 14 11:49 PM

David Scheidt wrote:

:No, they're the same. Except when they're different. The OP hasn't
:provided enough information. If it's less than 10 speeds, you can use
:a road or mountain derailleur. For 10 speed mountain, you need a ten
:speed mountain derailleur.

Happy to be corrected :-)

OB

Sir Ridesalot May 11th 14 01:11 AM

On Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:58:25 AM UTC-4, David Scheidt wrote:
wrote:

:No they are different.

No, they're the same. Except when they're different. The OP hasn't

provided enough information. If it's less than 10 speeds, you can use

a road or mountain derailleur. For 10 speed mountain, you need a ten

speed mountain derailleur.

:One source I have says: For the Shimano road 10 speed rear derailleur (2 : 1

:cable pull ratio ) the total cable pull is around 24mm. For MTB 10 speed

:rear derailleur the cable pull ratio is 1.5 : 1, and the total cable pull is

:around 35mm. I think there would be a similar difference with a 7 speed.

:Old Bloke

--

sig 22

Gee whiz. I thought that my mentioning the 7 speed shifters in my OP would be enough information. I also thought that 7 speeds are less than 10 speeds. LOL VBG ;)

Cheers