CycleBanter.com

-   -   Patent number: 528145 (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=176892)

[email protected] January 13th 08 09:16 AM

Patent number: 528145

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Pj5HAAAAEBAJ

What happens here?

[email protected] January 13th 08 06:06 PM

Patent number: 528145

On Jan 13, 3:16 am, " wrote:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=Pj5HAAAAEBAJ

What happens here?

As drawn, nothing happens. There's no mechanism to compensate for the
varying chain length, and the chains are either going to bind or
skip. Later proponents of elliptical chain rings have realized that;
a) The sprockets need not also be elliptical, b) There does not need
to be two chains, and c) There needs to be chain slack and some kind
of spring loaded tensioner.

[email protected] January 13th 08 06:40 PM

Patent number: 528145

On Jan 13, 1:16*am, " wrote:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=Pj5HAAAAEBAJ

What happens here?

Dear G,

Regrettably, the rest of RBT prepares to suffer because you've shown
me the wonderful Google patent search.

Thanks,

Carl Fogel

Ryan Cousineau January 13th 08 07:03 PM

Patent number: 528145

In article
,
wrote:

On Jan 13, 3:16 am, " wrote:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=Pj5HAAAAEBAJ

What happens here?

As drawn, nothing happens. There's no mechanism to compensate for the
varying chain length, and the chains are either going to bind or
skip. Later proponents of elliptical chain rings have realized that;
a) The sprockets need not also be elliptical, b) There does not need
to be two chains, and c) There needs to be chain slack and some kind
of spring loaded tensioner.

Interestingly enough, c) is not true!

http://sheldonbrown.org/gunnar/index.htm

I'd have to fuss to figure out if the chain length is precisely constant
for any position of the rings (and if Biopace vs. true ellipses
matters), but this is an effective demonstration that the chain length
change is negligible.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

[email protected] January 13th 08 07:05 PM

Patent number: 528145

On Jan 13, 6:06 pm, wrote:
On Jan 13, 3:16 am, " wrote:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Pj5HAAAAEBAJ

What happens here?

As drawn, nothing happens. There's no mechanism to compensate for the
varying chain length, and the chains are either going to bind or
skip. Later proponents of elliptical chain rings have realized that;
a) The sprockets need not also be elliptical, b) There does not need
to be two chains, and c) There needs to be chain slack and some kind
of spring loaded tensioner.

Yes, that's what I thought. I've seen the egg shaped sprockets appear
and disappear over the years. The point of the patent seems to be in
having a chain for both pedals.

Here is a modern patent referencing this one.

"A drive mechanism applicable to bicycles for increasing the
efficiency of pedaling action via independent pedals with a
sinusoidally varying transmission ratio. The drive mechanism achieves
increased efficiency by making the pedals independently synchronized
with a varying transmission ratio"
http://www.google.com/patents?id=lUIZAAAAEBAJ

You know of any production bike using that?

[email protected] January 14th 08 02:46 AM

Patent number: 528145

On Jan 13, 1:03 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article
,

--
Ryan Cousineau /
"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

It's hard to tell without any dimensions, but those chainrings looked
much more eccentric than Biopace. There's no way with a gearing other
than 1:1 for the chain length to stay constant for two elliptical
rings. I believe that the 2:1 arrangement can be lined up to avoid
the extremes though.

[email protected] January 14th 08 02:51 AM

Patent number: 528145

On Jan 13, 1:05 pm, " wrote:
On Jan 13, 6:06 pm, wrote:

On Jan 13, 3:16 am, " wrote:

[...]

No, but that patent was filed by Rotor: http://www.rotorcranksusa.com/
They're not likely to be developing that particular design, but rather
filed the patent to keep some small part of it protected for
themselves.

A Muzi January 14th 08 04:46 AM

Patent number: 528145

wrote:
No, but that patent was filed by Rotor:
http://www.rotorcranksusa.com/
They're not likely to be developing that particular design, but rather
filed the patent to keep some small part of it protected for
themselves.

Locking up the 'belt with suspenders' dual chain market?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Chalo January 14th 08 08:09 AM

Patent number: 528145

Carl Fogel wrote:

Regrettably, the rest of RBT prepares to suffer because you've shown
me the wonderful Google patent search.

Somebody brew Carl a pot of strong coffee. I think he's going to be
busy for a while!

Chalo

Ryan Cousineau January 14th 08 07:24 PM

Patent number: 528145

In article
,

wrote:
On Jan 13, 3:16 am, " wrote:
[...]

I'm referring not to the design in the patent (which is clearly insane)
but to Sheldon's bike as a demonstration that you don't need a spring
loaded tensioner (or, I believe, notable amounts of chain slack) to run
a Biopace ring and a round cog.