CycleBanter.com

-   -   bigger lawyer lips on the way? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=115232)

Jasper Janssen November 8th 05 11:31 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

On 8 Nov 2005 13:57:14 -0800, "Vee" wrote:

Imagine placing this burden on a $6/hr clerk at Walmart.

So they have to hire someone with actual brains for a change. How is this
bad?

Jasper

Vee November 9th 05 01:20 AM

Jasper Janssen wrote:
On 8 Nov 2005 13:57:14 -0800, "Vee" wrote:

Imagine placing this burden on a $6/hr clerk at Walmart.

So they have to hire someone with actual brains for a change. How is this
bad?

To hire people with actual brains, they would have to offer actual pay
and actual benefits. Next thing you know, these braniac employees
would form a union and destroy poor, defenseless Walmart from within.
You must hate America to even suggest such a thing.

The more realistic solution is to stop selling bikes with QR's, as
someone else suggested.

-Vee

Joshua Putnam November 9th 05 05:14 AM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

In article , adr5
@columbia.edu says...
In article .com,
says...

Yes I'm sure you could. We were talking about kids who buy their bikes
at walmart.... You or I and the story is different.

Agreed. The staff should be requred to leave instructions on the wheel and
show the parents how to operate the QR before they walk out of the store.
Make each parent sign a statement saying they were instructed in the proper
use of a QR would be a good idea.

Thinking back on my bike shop days, there were some customers who
could be shown a dozen times how to use a quick release, but the next
time they came in to have me fix a flat, sure enough, it's a wing-nut
again, screwed down finger-tight in the open position.

Saying the quick release isn't intuitive is far too mild: some people
simple won't get it no matter how many times they're shown. We even
had one of those chrome Bridgestone Q/R demonstration stands, we'd
show people how the things worked and make them do it, too. But
they'd come back a week later using it like a wingnut.

I did convince some of them to switch to threaded skewers, but others
just really liked the convenience of wing nuts....

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Phil, Squid-in-Training November 9th 05 09:27 AM

Vee wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:
On 8 Nov 2005 13:57:14 -0800, "Vee" wrote:

Imagine placing this burden on a $6/hr clerk at Walmart.

So they have to hire someone with actual brains for a change. How is
this bad?

To hire people with actual brains, they would have to offer actual pay
and actual benefits. Next thing you know, these braniac employees
would form a union and destroy poor, defenseless Walmart from within.
You must hate America to even suggest such a thing.

The more realistic solution is to stop selling bikes with QR's, as
someone else suggested.

Thank goodness the disc-brakes on bikes that Walmart sells don't work.
Imagine the lawsuits from wheel ejection then!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Alex Rodriguez November 9th 05 07:09 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

In article . com,
says...

Do you read warning labels (such as instructions on the wheel or QR
lever)? Have you tried demonstrating QR operation to people? There is
no way to guaranty that somebody understands QR operation without
forcing them to secure the wheel right in front of you. That can be
awkward, time-consuming, and sometimes patronizing. "Wheels not
straight... you didn't hook the brake up right... lever's not tight
enough..."

Imagine placing this burden on a $6/hr clerk at Walmart.

Take your pick $6/hr clerk spends 1 hour with customer or $6million lawsuit
plus lawyer costs.
----------------
Alex

Vee November 9th 05 10:46 PM

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
In article . com,
says...

Do you read warning labels (such as instructions on the wheel or QR
lever)? Have you tried demonstrating QR operation to people? There is
no way to guaranty that somebody understands QR operation without
forcing them to secure the wheel right in front of you. That can be
awkward, time-consuming, and sometimes patronizing. "Wheels not
straight... you didn't hook the brake up right... lever's not tight
enough..."

Imagine placing this burden on a $6/hr clerk at Walmart.

Take your pick $6/hr clerk spends 1 hour with customer or $6million lawsuit
plus lawyer costs.
----------------
Alex

Yes, imagine a $6/hr clerk spending an hour with a customer. Imagine
how effective and pleasant that would be. Besides, how long does it
take Walmart to sell a million bikes, thus exceeding the cost of the
lawsuit that probably won't be avoided anyways?

-Vee

SriBikeJi November 10th 05 01:51 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

I don't know, I've seen people tighten down quick-releases by using the
lever as leverage to screw it down -- like a wrench handle, they had no
idea you had to close it to tighten it down! And these were adults!!

Me too. I was even on a mountain bike ride once where a bike near me
was making noises - turned out the wheel wasn't even tightened. The
fellow was counting on the lips to hold it on. Another reason to file
them off.

SriBikeJi November 10th 05 01:54 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per :

I drink _tea_.

That one made my Keepers file.

I have a lot of silly, off-point stuff in mine too. If it makes me
laugh, it goes in the stupid file. If it makes me laugh and is relevant
it goes with the other legit stuff.

SriBikeJi November 10th 05 02:00 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Bruce Gilbert:

One of my riding buddies (about 50 years of racing) had a crack up one
morning. He failed to adequately tighten the QR on his rear wheel....

My point here is that these sort of accidents can and do happen.

I've never had an accident. I'm still trying to train myself to check QR
tension before getting on the bike. I do it sometimes and when I remember that
I forgot, I stop and do it right then and there.

Having said that, one day I pulled the bike off the carrier on the back of my
car, got on it, and rode off: no check. First time I applied the front brake
it felt funny. Turned out front skewer was *really* loose - i.e. just a little
more and the wheel would have come out. As it was, the lawyer lips probably
saved me.

[snip]

Or maybe the "lips" contributed to the accident. I have noticed that
the lips keep the wheel on even when they aren't adequately tightened.
That's the point of them. I don't think that's a good thing.

I think you would have noticed a problem if the "lips" had been filed
off. You would have arrived at your destination without your front
wheel. Or more likely, you would have noticed the problem when the
wheel feel off while you were loading the bike.

Jasper Janssen November 10th 05 05:29 PM

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:00:36 GMT, SriBikeJi wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Having said that, one day I pulled the bike off the carrier on the back of my
car, got on it, and rode off: no check. First time I applied the front brake
it felt funny. Turned out front skewer was *really* loose - i.e. just a little
more and the wheel would have come out. As it was, the lawyer lips probably
saved me.

[snip]

Or maybe the "lips" contributed to the accident. I have noticed that
the lips keep the wheel on even when they aren't adequately tightened.
That's the point of them. I don't think that's a good thing.

I think you would have noticed a problem if the "lips" had been filed
off. You would have arrived at your destination without your front
wheel. Or more likely, you would have noticed the problem when the
wheel feel off while you were loading the bike.

You're making unwarranted assumptions, to wit: that the QR was loose when
the bike was loaded, and it didn't happen from vibration from the road;
that the QR was fully undone while unloading, when it could have been just
partially undone and gone the rest of the way while riding; that thus the
wheel would in fact have fallen off without lawyer lips before he got on
the bike.

Jasper

StaceyJ November 10th 05 05:35 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

--snip-

Why would you have to replace the forks or build new wheels to put in a
solid axle?

--snip--

I think he meant through-axle (like on Freeride/Downhill MTBs)

SYJ

[email protected] November 10th 05 06:07 PM

Pete Cresswell writes:

One of my riding buddies (about 50 years of racing) had a crack up
one morning. He failed to adequately tighten the QR on his rear
wheel...

My point here is that these sort of accidents can and do happen.

I've never had an accident. I'm still trying to train myself to
check QR tension before getting on the bike. I do it sometimes and
when I remember that I forgot, I stop and do it right then and
there.

This sounds like poltergeists are at work. What sort of QR's are you
using? If the QR was tight when you put the wheel in, then it ought
to remain that way for a long time. Having ridden a QR equipped
bicycle for a long time, I am convinced that this is not a common
hazard of QR's. I've taken many 2000 mile rides in the Alps with
rough roads and hard braking, never once removing the wheel on many of
these where I had no flat front tire.

Having said that, one day I pulled the bike off the carrier on the
back of my car, got on it, and rode off: no check. First time I
applied the front brake it felt funny. Turned out front skewer was
*really* loose - i.e. just a little more and the wheel would have
come out. As it was, the lawyer lips probably saved me.

So how did it get loose and why? Besides, I have ridden substantial
distances that included hard braking with the QR open with no effect.
What did your wheel do that you could notice when braking?

I'll never know why it was loose - user error the night before? -
something about vibration on the rack?...

Sounds like poltergeists.

But the reason seems moot to me. The bottom line seems to be that
somebody of reasonable intelligence and reasonable diligence could
wind up having a wheel come out in use - all they would have to do
is forget to check the wheel before riding and have it loose at that
time.

You would have to have lift-off from the road for the wheel to come
out. I suppose that isn't so rare in off road riding but it isn't
common in road rides.

I still use skewers, but only because they're the only game in town
without replacing all 3 of my forks and building new wheels.

And why would you not want QR wheels unless you never get flat tires
and always carry wrenches in your patch kit?

Other than that, trading the extra 20 seconds I'd have to spend
changing a front tire for knowing that wheel isn't coming loose, I'd
go for through-axle in a heartbeat.

That sounds a lot like elastic waist band, belt and suspenders to make
sure your pants don't fall down. You make it sound like the QR is a
vestige of ancient professional road racers who changed their own
tubulars. I am glad to inherit the device, regardless of its origin.

Jobst Brandt

Derk November 10th 05 07:12 PM

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Having said that, one day I pulled the bike off the carrier on the back of
my car, got on it, and rode off: no check. First time I applied the
front brake it felt funny. Turned out front skewer was *really* loose -
i.e. just a little more and the wheel would have come out. As it was,
the lawyer lips probably saved me.

I cycle about 17.000 km a year and I *NEVER* check the QR B4 I ride, though
my wheels are without lawyers lips, just like everybody's wheels I know
here and I never heard about anybody having trouble with QR.

Greets, Derk

Derk November 10th 05 07:13 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

Sorry, meant to say: my fork is without lawyers lips.

Alex Rodriguez November 10th 05 07:44 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

In article ,
says...

This sounds like poltergeists are at work. What sort of QR's are you
using? If the QR was tight when you put the wheel in, then it ought
to remain that way for a long time. Having ridden a QR equipped
bicycle for a long time, I am convinced that this is not a common
hazard of QR's. I've taken many 2000 mile rides in the Alps with
rough roads and hard braking, never once removing the wheel on many of
these where I had no flat front tire.

I have to agree with Jobst. If I have no flats, I can go months of riding
my bike three or more times a week without checking the QR. On my commuter
I've gone at least a year without checking the QR on the front wheel.

---------------
Alex

Lou Holtman November 10th 05 08:09 PM

Derk wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Having said that, one day I pulled the bike off the carrier on the back of
my car, got on it, and rode off: no check. First time I applied the
front brake it felt funny. Turned out front skewer was *really* loose -
i.e. just a little more and the wheel would have come out. As it was,
the lawyer lips probably saved me.

I cycle about 17.000 km a year and I *NEVER* check the QR B4 I ride, though
my wheels are without lawyers lips, just like everybody's wheels I know
here and I never heard about anybody having trouble with QR.

Greets, Derk

Lawyer lips are a major PIA IMHO. Gee I hate those things. What is the
use of QR if you have a fork with lawyer lips? Every time you take out
the wheel you have to unscrew the QR so when you install the wheel again
the chance that you adjust the QR wrong is much greater. I don't get it.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Derk November 10th 05 08:21 PM

Lou Holtman wrote:

Lawyer lips are a major PIA IMHO. Gee I hate those things.

The first thing I did after buying an Easton fork was that I asked my
mechanic to remove these things.

What is the use of QR if you have a fork with lawyer lips?

It's ridiculous........That's what happens when people go to court all the
time to blame others for everything that happens to them.

Greetings, Derk

(PeteCresswell) November 11th 05 03:06 AM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

Per David L. Johnson:
Why would you have to replace the forks or build new wheels to put in a
solid axle?

Wouldn't address the root problem, which is the cut-out receptacles in the fork.
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) November 11th 05 03:09 AM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

Per :
So how did it get loose and why? Besides, I have ridden substantial
distances that included hard braking with the QR open with no effect.
What did your wheel do that you could notice when braking?

That's the $64,000 question.

I'd put my money on either:

- Some artifact of being transported on a rear carrier for several hours

OR

- Yours Truly suffering from some sort of RCI.
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) November 11th 05 03:10 AM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

Per Derk:
just like everybody's wheels I know
here and I never heard about anybody having trouble with QR.

Just a couple of nights ago Americas Funniest Videos showed a kid doing a
wheelie, only to have the front wheel fall out.

Didn't look particularly funny to me, but there it was....
--
PeteCresswell

Størker Moe November 11th 05 07:49 AM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

On 04.11.05 22:41 Vee wrote:
[...]
Had my units mixed up. Sorry. 180 FARENHEIT isn't so shocking.

180 Celsius IS shocking. For water to be liquid at that temperature,
you'd need 10 bar/145psi absolute pressure (9 bar/130psi gauge). Even
allowing for a small increase in BP due to dissolved substances from the
beans, you'd need a pretty hefty cup to contain coffee at 180 celsius.

Somehow I can't imagine anyone selling coffee in pressurised containers...
--
Størker Moe
'97 GT Avalanche, '01 Trek Fuel 90, '96 Trek 850

Email Storker(DOT)Moe(AT)c2i(DOT)net
WWW http://home.c2i.net/storker_moe/

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

SriBikeJi November 11th 05 01:15 PM

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

[...]

I'm making some assumptions, but not unwarranted ones.

Jasper Janssen November 11th 05 03:19 PM

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:10:34 -0800, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Just a couple of nights ago Americas Funniest Videos showed a kid doing a
wheelie, only to have the front wheel fall out.

Didn't look particularly funny to me, but there it was....

Not many of the Funniest Videos are actually funny, unless you're Marquis
De Sade.

Plus side, he was likely going pretty slow, so the come down wouldn't be
too harsh.

Jaspe

Werehatrack November 12th 05 06:31 AM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

On 3 Nov 2005 15:48:49 -0800, "Fritz M" wrote:

A mom in West Virginia is suing Wal-Mart for selling defective bikes.
The defect? Quick release front wheels. More info at
http://www.shokbikes.org/

Sue Wal-Mart for improper assembly or lack of instruction, but to sue
them for providing a useful feature is a bad move, IMO.

Something tells me they're barking up the wrong tree with their claim
that the QR is inherently dangerous anyway. A few days ago I looked
at the bikes in three different Wal-Marts while I was trying to find
something else; in one of them, I spotted the fact that four of the
five Mongoose XR200 units on the display rack had their front forks
installed backwards. It was rather obvious. That model has a front
disc brake...and the backwards fork put the caliper ahead of the right
fork tube instead of behind the left one. It's pretty obvious that
they have an assembly QC problem. I would not surprise me if some of
the bikes were leaving with the QR misclamped.

BTW, this is not the first time that I've seen forks on backwards on
bikes in a department store; I've seen that issue with units at Target
as well, and once in a while at Wal-Marts previously. Nor is it
restricted to Mongoose units; other brands have been involved. This
was, however, the first time that I had seen this many misassembled
units in one store on a sinlgle trip.

Of course, employee assembly error isn't the only potential issue.
Given the number of times I've seen people fiddle with things on bikes
on the racks at Wal-Mart around here, it's well within the realm of
possibility that a bike could get sold with a QR that had been
installed right by the store employee, and still looked tight but was
actually ready to fall open due to some bozo having messed with it.
That's part of the down side to selling bikes the way Wal-Mart does
it; they really can't guarantee that any bike is still ready to ride
when the customer takes it off the rack if they leave the bikes where
any random luser can fiddle with them. Of course, if they try to use
that as a defense in a suit, a smart lawyer would then ask "If you
know this is a problem, why haven't you done something to make sure
the bikes are secured or to reinspect them before they leave the
store?"
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

David Damerell November 15th 05 01:37 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

Quoting Werehatrack :
that the QR is inherently dangerous anyway. A few days ago I looked
at the bikes in three different Wal-Marts while I was trying to find
something else; in one of them, I spotted the fact that four of the
five Mongoose XR200 units on the display rack had their front forks
installed backwards. It was rather obvious. That model has a front
disc brake...and the backwards fork put the caliper ahead of the right
fork tube instead of behind the left one.

Well, that'll solve the disc brake wheel ejection problem, at least.

[Joke.]
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is First Monday, November.

Werehatrack November 15th 05 10:03 PM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

On 15 Nov 2005 13:37:56 +0000 (GMT), David Damerell
wrote:

Quoting Werehatrack :
that the QR is inherently dangerous anyway. A few days ago I looked
at the bikes in three different Wal-Marts while I was trying to find
something else; in one of them, I spotted the fact that four of the
five Mongoose XR200 units on the display rack had their front forks
installed backwards. It was rather obvious. That model has a front
disc brake...and the backwards fork put the caliper ahead of the right
fork tube instead of behind the left one.

Well, that'll solve the disc brake wheel ejection problem, at least.

[Joke.]

But what about the dreaded Rider Pulled Over The Bars By The Caliper
That Tore Loose From The Mount problem? Could be trouble...
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Simon Cooper November 23rd 05 06:33 AM

bigger lawyer lips on the way?

"David Damerell" wrote in message
Quoting Werehatrack :
that the QR is inherently dangerous anyway. A few days ago I looked
at the bikes in three different Wal-Marts while I was trying to find
something else; in one of them, I spotted the fact that four of the
five Mongoose XR200 units on the display rack had their front forks
installed backwards. It was rather obvious. That model has a front
disc brake...and the backwards fork put the caliper ahead of the right
fork tube instead of behind the left one.

I saw Wal Mart had bikes from several manufacturers with front QR on
yesterday's visit, but they mostly seemed to have a little tag attached with
string, presumably saying, paraphrased "this is a dangerous thing if you
don't know what you're doing".