CycleBanter.com

-   -   More Plastic Bikes/Living Wage Redux (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=227118)

Jay Beattie May 1st 11 01:26 AM

More Plastic Bikes/Living Wage Redux

So, I'm riding around with a zillion other cyclists who emerged like a
swarm of mayflies on this rare, dry and sunny day, when I get passed
by this guy merging from a hill. I jump on because in PDX it is like
a perpetual Cat 1-4 road race on any sunny day and drafting is
allowed. Anyway, this guy has a natural black CF frame with do-it-
yourself lettering and an unusual design. As it turns out, he
designed it and is having it produced by a Taiwanese manufacturer and
is opening his own shop with his own brand. I didn't want to say
"you're crazy" to the dude -- I mean really, we have like a million
bike shops already, and there are so many budget CF bikes on the
market right now . . . but, he's super excited and figures he can sell
a product better and cheaper than the Specialized and Trek
equivalents. Nothing in my size, which is usual. High mod, press fit
BB30, tapered steerer, super stiff, etc. So long as it come in red (I
think one model will come with SRAM red).

By the way, it IS about the bike. With all the rain and drear, I've
been riding primarily on my cross bike with 28mm tires -- about 25lbs
with fenders, lights, etc. Gawdamighty, switching to my light-but-not-
super-light racing bike was quite an experience, particularly
climbing. It made it so much easier dropping in to the drag race on
Skyline.-- Jay Beattie.