CycleBanter.com

-   Australia (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Roads are dangerous = need more bike farcilities (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=240483)

James[_8_] March 20th 13 03:34 AM

Roads are dangerous = need more bike farcilities

rant

Why is it that whenever someone says "I don't feel safe riding on the
road." the *fix* people come up with is to paint more lines on the road
and build more shared paths - to segregate bicycles from other vehicles?

When will someone have a light bulb moment and think, if we made the
roads a safer place to ride, we wouldn't need to spend time and money on
ineffectual *fixes*?

Educate drivers and riders better on rules, regulations and rights.

Penalise drivers who cause injury to bicyclists, where the penalty is
geared to the injury. I.e. 6 months unable to ride = 6 months license
suspension.

Offer and promote more cycling proficiency programs to educate and make
better cyclists.

/rant

--
JS.

Trent W. Buck March 20th 13 06:52 AM

James writes:

Educate drivers and riders better on rules, regulations and rights.

I'd like a mandatory defensive driving component for auto licenses. My
insurer basically paid for a half-day class, most of which was theory.

The one practical part was to accelerate to 30kmph and then try to come
to a complete stop. It really hammers home -- especially to 17yos --
that you really CAN'T stop that half-ton of aluminum in time. And
obviously it's far worse when you're doing 60 or 100.

Tomasso[_8_] April 18th 13 01:22 AM

"Trent W. Buck" wrote in message ...
James writes:

Educate drivers and riders better on rules, regulations and rights.

I'd like a mandatory defensive driving component for auto licenses. My
insurer basically paid for a half-day class, most of which was theory.

The one practical part was to accelerate to 30kmph and then try to come
to a complete stop. It really hammers home -- especially to 17yos --
that you really CAN'T stop that half-ton of aluminum in time. And
obviously it's far worse when you're doing 60 or 100.

Start all new drivers on bicycles for a couple of years, then L/P plates.

James[_8_] April 19th 13 01:14 AM

James writes:

Educate drivers and riders better on rules, regulations and rights.

I'd like a mandatory defensive driving component for auto licenses. My
insurer basically paid for a half-day class, most of which was theory.

The one practical part was to accelerate to 30kmph and then try to come
to a complete stop. It really hammers home -- especially to 17yos --
that you really CAN'T stop that half-ton of aluminum in time. And
obviously it's far worse when you're doing 60 or 100.

Start all new drivers on bicycles for a couple of years, then L/P plates.

Strangely that used to be the norm years ago. Now kids are driven
everywhere by parents who think it's not safe enough to ride a bike and
the kids are naturally lazy.

It's a self perpetuating problem.

Only a huge price hike in the cost of fuel - or it runs out - might
change the tide.

--
JS.