CycleBanter.com

-   Mountain Biking (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Mountain Bikers Ride in Heavy Rain, Ignoring IMBA Rules of the Trail (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=158101)

Mike Vandeman March 18th 07 04:58 PM

Mountain Bikers Ride in Heavy Rain, Ignoring IMBA Rules of the Trail

Of course, IMBA's Rules of the Trail are just for show, anyway. They
know that no one follows them, and IMBA does nothing to enforce them.

Mike

I expected to do this ride alone, but fortunately there were two other
souls
who didn't mind braving the rain, the mileage, and my horrendous
navigating
and decided to come along. I admit I was a bit nervous when I saw an
unfamilliar name with no BBTC rides under his belt sign up for today's
ride.
And I was even more nervous when the first words out of his mouth this
morning involved the the phrase "second time on the bike since
November".
Gulp. I turned away to hide my obvious look of concern -- he did read
the 50
miles and 6 hours part of the ride description, did he not? When I
looked
back I noticed that on further inspection Bill looked very fit and his
red
OCLV Fuel spoke of someone who is serious about his XC riding. And yes
he
was.

After the introductions were over, I led Bill and Stephanie through a
quick
tour of some Snoqualmie Ridge double-track then down towards Salish
Lodge
and onto the SVT. Next stop, Tolt-MacDonald Park! We boogied up IAB --
graciously acknowledigng all of the riders who yielded to those of us
going
uphill -- and proceeded to get lost. It was BIll's first time to Tolt
and
Steph's first time in 2 years and, well, God knows I don't know my way
around up there. We ended up riding Oxbow, Shaefer, MLR, some of the
Burn
(mostly cleared now), Mystery, and a few other choice trails (some a
couple
times due to my poor navigating) and putting in about 6 miles or so of
singletrack.

The rain started to come just as we began working our way back to the
5-way
and starting our descent on IAB. A quick snack at the group cabin,
then back
onto the SVT. Next stop, Tokul-West. The rain was coming down pretty
hard
and we were getting pretty dirty. Tokul West would likely be muddy.
Bill
said goodbye at the beaver dam washout on the SVT and Stephanie and I
headed
up into the woods. I'm not an ace at Tokul West, but I can work my way
from
the entrance up to the base of Bon-Bon. We were a ways into the ride
and the
rain was coming down pretty steadily so we settled into a whirlwind
tour of
Tokul West: up Bon-Bon, over to Outback and down to Full Bench and out
Sgt
Wells. Good times. The horses have really made a mess of upper Bon-Bon
and
upper Full Bench was a swamp, but aside from my endoing on one of the
switchbacks on Full Bench, all was well. Back down to the SVT, another
snack, and then back to Snoqualmie Ridge for a trip to the Snoqualmie
Brewery Taproom for some Green Nitro Pale Ale and a corned beef
sandwich &
Irish stew.

Thanks again to Stephanie and Bill for coming out today. Everyone
knows how
strong a rider Stephanie is, and it's good to get those long rides in
with
her. And I hope to see Bill on other BBTC rides -- a great addition to
the
local riding crew!

Mileage: 46.9 miles
Elevation Gain: 3,015 feet
Saddle Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 6 hours, 15 minutes
Calories Burned: 4500

Now it's on to Orcas tomorrow for a ride-it-all trip on Mt Pickett and
Mt
Constitution.

Thanks for reading,

Trail Care CrewTrail SolutionsIMBA EpicsBike PatrolInternationalIMBA
CanadaIMBA StorefrontsAbout IMBAMembershipContactsNewsResourcesTrail
FinderLogin

IMBA Rules of the Trail
The way we ride today shapes mountain bike trail access tomorrow. Do
your part to preserve and enhance our sport's access and image by
observing the following rules of the trail, formulated by IMBA, the
International Mountain Bicycling Association. These rules are
recognized around the world as the standard code of conduct for
mountain bikers. IMBA's mission is to promote mountain bicycling that
is environmentally sound and socially responsible.

1. Ride On Open Trails Only.
Respect trail and road closures (ask if uncertain); avoid trespassing
on private land; obtain permits or other authorization as may be
required. Federal and state Wilderness areas are closed to cycling.
The way you ride will influence trail management decisions and
policies.

2. Leave No Trace.
Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Recognize different types of
soils and trail construction; practice low-impact cycling. Wet and
muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage. When the trailbed is soft,
consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing
trails and not creating new ones. Don't cut switchbacks. Be sure to
pack out at least as much as you pack in.

3. Control Your Bicycle!
Inattention for even a second can cause problems. Obey all bicycle
speed regulations and recommendations.

4. Always Yield Trail.
Let your fellow trail users know you're coming. A friendly greeting or
bell is considerate and works well; don't startle others. Show your
respect when passing by slowing to a walking pace or even stopping.
Anticipate other trail users around corners or in blind spots.
Yielding means slow down, establish communication, be prepared to stop
if necessary and pass safely.

5. Never Scare Animals.
All animals are startled by an unannounced approach, a sudden
movement, or a loud noise. This can be dangerous for you, others, and
the animals. Give animals extra room and time to adjust to you. When
passing horses use special care and follow directions from the
horseback riders (ask if uncertain). Running cattle and disturbing
wildlife is a serious offense. Leave gates as you found them, or as
marked.

6. Plan Ahead.
Know your equipment, your ability, and the area in which you are
riding -- and prepare accordingly. Be self-sufficient at all times,
keep your equipment in good repair, and carry necessary supplies for
changes in weather or other conditions. A well-executed trip is a
satisfaction to you and not a burden to others. Always wear a helmet
and appropriate safety gear.

Keep trails open by setting a good example of environmentally sound
and socially responsible off-road cycling.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande