CycleBanter.com

-   -   Who are the guys behind Eddy Merckx in this photo? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=195412)

[email protected] October 7th 08 01:18 PM

Who are the guys behind Eddy Merckx in this photo?

Who are the guys behind Eddy Merckx in this photo? White jersey, etc.?

RicodJour October 7th 08 05:59 PM

Who are the guys behind Eddy Merckx in this photo?

On Oct 7, 8:18*am, "

Who are the guys behind Eddy Merckx in this photo? White jersey, etc.?

I think the guy in white is Luis Ocaña. The white jersey indicating
the best young rider started in 1975. In 1972 the white jersey was a
combination points classification. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillot_blanc

Carl Sundquist October 7th 08 07:05 PM

wrote in message

Who are the guys behind Eddy Merckx in this photo? White jersey, etc.?

The slower ones.

A Muzi October 7th 08 07:43 PM

Who are the guys behind Eddy Merckx in this photo?

Who are the guys behind Eddy Merckx in this photo? White jersey, etc.?

Battaglin? He was a neo pro in 1972 for Molteni but I would not
recognize his photo even if it were larger.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

James Thomson October 7th 08 08:04 PM

a écrit:

Who are the guys behind Eddy Merckx in this photo?

I think:

Poulidor in the yellow cap and GAN jersey
Ocana in white
Agostinho in the Portuguese national jersey
Van Impe at the back in the Sonolor jersey

That leaves the rider on the far left, who may be a team mate of Agostinho,
perhaps Mariano Martinez.

http://mrambaul.club.fr/equipes/equi..._1976/1972.htm

http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/p...ts_tdf1972.php

http://users.skynet.be/lenetducyclis...les_grands.JPG

http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/e...73/tdf1972.php

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_France_1972

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ago72.jpg

James Thomson

James Thomson October 7th 08 08:29 PM

"James Thomson" a écrit:

I think:

Poulidor in the yellow cap and GAN jersey
Ocana in white
Agostinho in the Portuguese national jersey
Van Impe at the back in the Sonolor jersey

That leaves the rider on the far left, who may be a team mate of
Agostinho, perhaps Mariano Martinez.

Which would be stage 11, Carnon Plage to Mont Ventoux:

http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/e...tdf1972_11.php

Thévenet's coming from behind to take the stage:

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/ventoux%5B27%5D.html

James Thomson

Kerry Montgomery October 7th 08 08:53 PM

"James Thomson" wrote in message
"James Thomson" a écrit:

I think:

Poulidor in the yellow cap and GAN jersey
Ocana in white
Agostinho in the Portuguese national jersey
Van Impe at the back in the Sonolor jersey

That leaves the rider on the far left, who may be a team mate of
Agostinho, perhaps Mariano Martinez.

Which would be stage 11, Carnon Plage to Mont Ventoux:

http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/e...tdf1972_11.php

Thévenet's coming from behind to take the stage:

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/ventoux%5B27%5D.html

James Thomson

James,
Amazing research!
Kerry

Jay Beattie October 7th 08 09:24 PM

Who are the guys behind Eddy Merckx in this photo?

On Oct 7, 5:18*am, "

Who are the guys behind Eddy Merckx in this photo? White jersey, etc.?

I think it's Herman VanSpringel in white.
http://www.cyclingwebsite.net/coureu...coureurid=7840

He was the 1973 points leader and a Molteni rider -- and if you look
at his bike, you can see it is another Molteni Orange machine --
although the name on the jersey and shorts is obscured. -- Jay
Beattie.

[email protected] October 7th 08 09:30 PM

Who are the guys behind Eddy Merckx in this photo?

On Oct 7, 6:18 am, "

Who are the guys behind Eddy Merckx in this photo? White jersey, etc.?

Couldn't you have just said "Here's an auction an' I'm trying to get
some eyeballs on it"?

tf

James Thomson October 7th 08 10:50 PM

"Jay Beattie" a écrit:

I think it's Herman VanSpringel in white.
http://www.cyclingwebsite.net/coureu...coureurid=7840

He was the 1973 points leader and a Molteni rider -- and if
you look at his bike, you can see it is another Molteni Orange
machine

or is it an orange BIC Motobecane?

http://www.dewielersite.net/db2/wiel...?beeldid=35151

http://i16.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/01/ea/e2dc_12.JPG

In any case, that's definitely Martinez over on the left:

http://www.dewielersite.net/db2/wiel...?beeldid=24356

James Thomson