CycleBanter.com

-   -   performance difference between short cage/medium cage Campy rear derail. (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=124361)

[email protected] February 12th 06 05:13 PM

performance difference between short cage/medium cage Campy rear derail.

Hello

upgrading from 8speed Chorus to 10 speed Record and trying to educate
myself to the different cage lengths for campy rear derailluers. I want
to run a 12-25 cassette and from what I read online about cage lengths,
the Campy short cage length would work fine, being able to throw the
chain to a 26t while the medium can throw the chain up to a 29t(if I
remember correctly). Other than this, any difference in performance
between a short and medium cage length? I don't expect to use anything
higher than a 26t as that my local bike shop recommended the 12-25 for
the terrain around where I live....I would think someone would use a
medium length cage so to use a more variety of cassettes...thanks in
advance for your advice/info
-Mike

Lou Holtman February 12th 06 05:30 PM

wrote:
Hello

upgrading from 8speed Chorus to 10 speed Record and trying to educate
myself to the different cage lengths for campy rear derailluers. I want
to run a 12-25 cassette and from what I read online about cage lengths,
the Campy short cage length would work fine, being able to throw the
chain to a 26t while the medium can throw the chain up to a 29t(if I
remember correctly). Other than this, any difference in performance
between a short and medium cage length? I don't expect to use anything
higher than a 26t as that my local bike shop recommended the 12-25 for
the terrain around where I live....I would think someone would use a
medium length cage so to use a more variety of cassettes...thanks in
advance for your advice/info
-Mike

There is no performance difference. So keep your options open and
consider the medium cage.

Lou
--
Posted by

A Muzi February 13th 06 06:57 AM

wrote:
upgrading from 8speed Chorus to 10 speed Record and trying to educate
myself to the different cage lengths for campy rear derailluers. I want
to run a 12-25 cassette and from what I read online about cage lengths,
the Campy short cage length would work fine, being able to throw the
chain to a 26t while the medium can throw the chain up to a 29t(if I
remember correctly). Other than this, any difference in performance
between a short and medium cage length? I don't expect to use anything
higher than a 26t as that my local bike shop recommended the 12-25 for
the terrain around where I live....I would think someone would use a
medium length cage so to use a more variety of cassettes...

Short (55mm) cage minimum 11t, maximum 26t, total capacity
27t with a max front range of 14t.

Medium(72mm) cage minimum 12t, maximum 29t, total capacity
36t with a max front range of 14t

Various Campagnolo publications move those numbers slightly
- sometimes the medium cage is rated for minimum 11t for
example- but you get the general idea. And those numbers
are conservative.

When you change cassettes, ensure your chain is the correct
length (span big-big and add 2 rivets) and try it on the
bike stand in all combinations before riding.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Qui si parla Campagnolo February 13th 06 02:03 PM

wrote:
Hello

upgrading from 8speed Chorus to 10 speed Record and trying to educate
myself to the different cage lengths for campy rear derailluers. I want
to run a 12-25 cassette and from what I read online about cage lengths,
the Campy short cage length would work fine, being able to throw the
chain to a 26t while the medium can throw the chain up to a 29t(if I
remember correctly). Other than this, any difference in performance
between a short and medium cage length? I don't expect to use anything
higher than a 26t as that my local bike shop recommended the 12-25 for
the terrain around where I live....I would think someone would use a
medium length cage so to use a more variety of cassettes...thanks in
advance for your advice/info
-Mike

Use either for either. Medium for the 12-25 or the short for
13-29..both work fine and dandy.

[email protected] February 14th 06 06:07 AM

performance difference between short cage/medium cage Campy rear derail.

When you change cassettes, ensure your chain is the correct length (span big-big and add 2 rivets) and try it on the bike stand in all combinations before riding.

Andrew, (or anyone that know) is that going around the big-big without
the derailleur and adding 2 rivets? I've used the method with the
derailleur, but it can be a pain to hold the D stretched out while
deciding exactly how many links to remove.