CycleBanter.com

-   -   Edge 305 & Calories (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=183309)

steve April 14th 08 08:07 PM

Edge 305 & Calories

My new Garmin Edge 305 calculates the calories I have supposedly used
during a ride. Knowing the calories and time I should be able to
estimate my wattage for the ride. However, when I do this I get more
that a Kilowatt. I rode for slightly less than 2 hours and used 1750
calories. If I really could generate over a kilowatt for an hour I'm
in the wrong business. I know about the Kcal vs cal issue but neither
answer makes sense.

I figure there are three possibilities.

1 - The 305 over estimates the calories used.

2 - The number is the calories to run the old bod + what ever I have
to generate for the ride. This still doesn't maker sense to me
because, if I remember right, the base rate for a person is about 200
watts and I don't believe I can generate 800 watts either.

3 - I'm missing something here

BTW does anyone know what algorithm the edge uses to calculate
calories?

Thanks
Steve G

Lou Holtman April 14th 08 08:20 PM

Edge 305 & Calories

steve wrote:
[...]

Divide it by 4. That's your efficiency. In: 1000 Watts, out: 250 Watts.
Bummer....

Lou

steve April 14th 08 09:54 PM

Edge 305 & Calories

On Apr 14, 12:20 pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
steve wrote:
[...]

250 is about what I expected.

Steve G

BobT[_3_] April 15th 08 04:57 PM

Edge 305 & Calories

"steve" wrote in message
[...]

Your device is estimating calories burned. You may be comparing to power
applied to the pedals as measured by a device such as a powertap or SRM.

Your "motor" is not 100% efficient. You are expending calories to work you
brain, digest your food, grow your fingernails, etc. Perhaps 25% of your
caloric expenditure ends up being transferred to the pedals to propel the
bike.

BobT

Rocky April 21st 08 08:34 PM

Edge 305 & Calories

The efficiency of the human bod from input to output is about 25% or 20%
depending on how you calculate it.

If you include the calories you would have burned by sitting around then you
use the 20% number. That is, total energy burned divided by energy into
the pedals is 5.

If you don't include the resting energy then the ratio is 4. That is,
incremental energy used.

I also have an Edge 305 and I think it greatly (as in 2x) over estimates
calories burned. I have various other methods to estimate energy used and
they all give me a number about half of what the Edge does.

Rocky

"BobT" wrote in message
. ..

datakoll April 22nd 08 12:18 AM