CycleBanter.com

-   Mountain Biking (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Who makes a strong seat post? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=3219)

David L June 30th 03 04:26 PM

Who makes a strong seat post?

"Chris Phillipo" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Hi All,

While trying to do a drop yesterday, to impress some girls (succeeding

in
neither), I landed my 87 kilos on my poor KORE seatpost in a very

inelegant
and brutal fashion, so now I have a nice angled seatpost... (about 5 to

10
degrees I'd reckon, still rideable...)

A breaking seatpost is probably one of the last things I want happening

in
the field (have no offspring yet, so better protect 'em jewels...), so

I'm
looking for a new one.

My question is this; what seat posts are strong? I don't so much mind

the
weight, as a few grams won't make a difference once I have myself and 5

kgs
of stuff on it (The wonderful thing about being the one who bought a
CamelBak, you get to haul everybodys stuff... ;).

My frame takes 27.2 mm seatposts. I know that's not going to change, but

are
larger diameter posts more sturdy?

Thanks in advance?

Bo

PS: And to add insult to injury, I made a face plant today. On asphalt.

On
the way home from the store. So now I have a bfat lib. Morale: stick to

the
trails.

If you get a Titec knock rated seatpost at least they will replace it
for you if you do that again.

but you can't replace testicles (working), yet at least not yet...

Dave

--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Carla A-G June 30th 03 07:28 PM

Who makes a strong seat post?

"Bo Lind" wrote in message

snip
My question is this; what seat posts are strong? I don't so much mind the
weight, as a few grams won't make a difference once I have myself and 5

kgs
of stuff on it (The wonderful thing about being the one who bought a
CamelBak, you get to haul everybodys stuff... ;).

My frame takes 27.2 mm seatposts. I know that's not going to change, but

are
larger diameter posts more sturdy?

All of our bikes use one:

http://www.lhthomson.com/seatpost.asp

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

John Morgan June 30th 03 07:39 PM

Who makes a strong seat post?

Check out Thomson.
http://www.lhthomson.com/
--
~Travis

Yeah, too bad that guy worships the devil.

-John Morgan

Anthony Sloan June 30th 03 09:34 PM

Who makes a strong seat post?

Chris Phillipo wrote:

[...]

But then you face this issue: Titec, manufactor of other quite nice MTB
bits, is ever stymied by the elusive seatpost. They just cannot get it
right.
Over the weekend we bought my wife a Giant NRS1, that came fitted with a
Titec x-wing seatpost. The past models all had a pathetically
underdesigned clamp that broke. Often.

Now they've addressed the clamp, but in doing so have introduced the
need to have a 5mm allen key AND a 15mm open end wrench just to adjust
the stupid thing.

Get a Thomson.

Shawn Curry June 30th 03 09:59 PM

Who makes a strong seat post?

John Morgan wrote:

Check out Thomson.
http://www.lhthomson.com/
--
~Travis

Yeah, too bad that guy worships the devil.

-John Morgan

Is this in regard to the Ayn Rand mission statement?

Shawn Curry June 30th 03 10:04 PM

Who makes a strong seat post?

Shawn Curry wrote:

John Morgan wrote:

Check out Thomson.
http://www.lhthomson.com/
--
~Travis

Yeah, too bad that guy worships the devil.

-John Morgan

Is this in regard to the Ayn Rand mission statement?

Oh yeah, and get a Thomson Devil/Ayn Rand or not.

Kent June 30th 03 10:50 PM

Who makes a strong seat post?

Yeah, too bad that guy worships the devil.

-John Morgan

Is this in regard to the Ayn Rand mission statement?

Oh yeah, and get a Thomson Devil/Ayn Rand or not.

Thompson make good posts. So do many other manufactures. This statement
stuff is poop, maybe the machine operator is a GOTH!!! Would this alter the
way in which you ride? Maybe it would make you shoot someone? NO NO NO. I
like X-Lite but only coz they all worship ME! ( that I found a one off post
for £10 didn't really come into the equation honest ).

Kent
PS I don't like keyboards as I often type Kemt that for some reason reminds
me of Kermit the Frog, maybe the Muppet show production company are all
devil worshippers as well!

John Morgan July 1st 03 12:40 AM

Who makes a strong seat post?

Yeah, too bad that guy worships the devil.

-John Morgan

He could worship Santa for all I care. They make one tough post.

Mike - dislexic devil worshiper ;^)

It's true that they are tough. I had my bike mounted to the top of my car
via a yakima rack, and I tried to park in a covered parking space in an
apartment complex. Ugh.

It ripped the rack off the car and severely dented the roof, as well as
causing damage to the aluminum awning. The main point of impact was the
saddle/seatpost... which amazingly were undamaged from the incident. It is
a strong post indeed.

-John Morgan

Chris July 1st 03 02:50 AM

Who makes a strong seat post?

"Bo Lind" wrote in message

My question is this; what seat posts are strong?

Bo

Everyone is way off; Thomson sucks ass.

If you need setback, get this:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.asp?number=32504
If not, get this:
http://www.cambriabike.com/SALE/seat...e_xyo_post.htm
If you are a total badass Dew rider, get this:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.asp?number=32508
And if you'd like to get the above, but are on a mildly limited budget, get
this: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.asp?number=32506

Chris