CycleBanter.com

-   -   Wear a helmet, you know it makes sense (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=257122)

MrCheerful February 23rd 19 01:49 AM

Wear a helmet, you know it makes sense

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1745...afety-warning/

Simon Jester February 23rd 19 08:27 PM

Wear a helmet, you know it makes sense

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 12:49:54 AM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1745...afety-warning/

What evidence do you have to show a cycle helmet would have made any difference?

Research shows cycle helmets can only absorb 70 joules before failing and it takes around 1000 joules to crack a human skull.

[email protected] February 23rd 19 08:41 PM

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 7:27:15 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:

Research shows cycle helmets can only absorb 70 joules before failing and it takes around 1000 joules to crack a human skull.

It makes more sense to use a driving helmet.

See: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0HUslgWkAErLyJ.jpg

GB[_5_] February 24th 19 12:55 PM

On 23/02/2019 19:27, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 12:49:54 AM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1745...afety-warning/

What evidence do you have to show a cycle helmet would have made any difference?

Research shows cycle helmets can only absorb 70 joules before failing and it takes around 1000 joules to crack a human skull.

How many joules does it take to cause a catastrophic bleed on the brain,
though?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'before failing'? Does that mean the
helmet cannot absorb more than 70 joules altogether? Or it cracks but
still absorbs some of the impact?

And clearly helmets vary.

RJH[_2_] February 24th 19 01:59 PM

On 24/02/2019 11:55, GB wrote:
On 23/02/2019 19:27, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 12:49:54 AM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1745...afety-warning/

What evidence do you have to show a cycle helmet would have made any
difference?

Research shows cycle helmets can only absorb 70 joules before failing
and it takes around 1000 joules to crack a human skull.

They sound like very focussed Joules - bullet perhaps? ;-)

How many joules does it take to cause a catastrophic bleed on the brain,
though?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'before failing'? Does that mean the
helmet cannot absorb more than 70 joules altogether? Or it cracks but
still absorbs some of the impact?

Depends on the incident and circumstances, of course.

And clearly helmets vary.

Indeed - and I at least find it difficult to tell what's what (I use an
Aldi own brand). I gather this is a good guide:

https://www.smf.org/home

Common sense tells me that a cycle helmet can help in certain
circumstances - and it's worth wearing one on that basis.

--
Cheers, Rob

Simon Jester February 24th 19 03:44 PM

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 12:59:30 PM UTC, RJH wrote:
On 24/02/2019 11:55, GB wrote:
[...]

I assume you always wear a helmet, not just when cycling.

[email protected] February 24th 19 03:49 PM

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 2:44:27 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:

Common sense tells me that a cycle helmet can help in certain
circumstances - and it's worth wearing one on that basis.

I assume you always wear a helmet, not just when cycling.

That is why they have killed several children in playgrounds.

https://www.cyclehelmets.org/1227.html

Simon Jester February 24th 19 03:52 PM

On 24/02/2019 11:55, GB wrote:
On 23/02/2019 19:27, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 12:49:54 AM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1745...afety-warning/

What evidence do you have to show a cycle helmet would have made any
difference?

Research shows cycle helmets can only absorb 70 joules before failing
and it takes around 1000 joules to crack a human skull.

They sound like very focussed Joules - bullet perhaps? ;-)

Bullet energy is usually specified in Foot-Pounds or Newton-Metres.
A typical 9mm pistol round has a muzzle energy of 500 joules.

Simon Jester February 24th 19 08:06 PM

Wear a helmet, you know it makes sense

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 5:31:45 PM UTC, Paul Cummins wrote:

But what helmet to buy?

That would depend on what you expect the hemet to do.
By all means cycle in a full face motorcycle helmet if you wish. It will protect your head but will be uncomfortable. You might want to do some research on helmets and how they impair cognitive function.

Paul Cummins[_7_] February 24th 19 08:25 PM

Wear a helmet, you know it makes sense

In article ,

*From:* MrCheerful
*Date:* Sat, 23 Feb 2019 00:49:49 +0000

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1745...cyclist-issues
-stark-safety-warning/

But what helmet to buy?

What are the British Standards that such a helmet has to meet?

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981