CycleBanter.com

-   -   Why do cars still have rev-counters? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=256889)

Simon Jester December 19th 18 03:03 PM

Why do cars still have rev-counters?

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.

[email protected] December 19th 18 03:25 PM

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 2:03:58 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:
We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.

This Uber driver was watching TV when she killed a pedestrian though.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2561...crash-cyclist/

Simon Jester December 19th 18 04:54 PM

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/uber-
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=uber
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/über-

Tom Evans December 19th 18 05:15 PM

On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.

Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

When I learnt to drive reasonably priced cars didn't have rev counters
and so I was taught to listen to the pitch of the engine. I think
listening is better than a rev counter as we instinctively hear whereas
we need to pro-actively read a rev counter.

Simon Jester December 19th 18 05:43 PM

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 4:15:49 PM UTC, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.

Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

Back when you had to manually set the mixture, manually advance the ignition timing, start the car with a crank and manually change gears it might have been an issue. But not now.

When I learnt to drive reasonably priced cars didn't have rev counters
and so I was taught to listen to the pitch of the engine. I think
listening is better than a rev counter as we instinctively hear whereas
we need to pro-actively read a rev counter.

Yep, that's how I drive. I can tell my speed from engine noise with occasional glances at the speedo (1).

[1] Short form of Speedometer. Speedo may get Pounder excited because it means men in skimpy under/swim wear in Leftpondia.

JNugent[_10_] December 19th 18 05:53 PM

On 19/12/2018 14:25, wrote:

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 2:03:58 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.

This Uber driver was watching TV when she killed a pedestrian though.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2561...crash-cyclist/

There seems to be some controversy about whether the deceased person was
a cyclist or a pedestrian (presumably at the moment of impact). You say
pedestrian, the article you cited says cyclist.

In fact, this may be one of those rare occasions when either description
is arguably correct, though even the website seems unsure of its ground:

Headline: Uber Was Warned Before Self-Driving Car Crash That Killed Cyclist

Story body text: The car struck Herzberg at nearly 40 mph. She later
died of her injuries at the hospital, becoming the first known
pedestrian death caused by a self-driving car.

Self-directing motor vehicles are either safe or unsafe. if they're
unsafe, they ought not to be operating on the highway, come what may.

The companies developing them need, surely, to prove their safety on a
private road network with no access for the general public. I note that
the State of California has already banned the use of these vehicles on
their highways.

JNugent[_10_] December 19th 18 05:55 PM

On 19/12/2018 16:15, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents
because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the
road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions
rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber'
drivers have blanked off their tachometers.

Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

When I learnt to drive reasonably priced cars didn't have rev counters
and so I was taught to listen to the pitch of the engine. I think
listening is better than a rev counter as we instinctively hear whereas
we need to pro-actively read a rev counter.

There are rev counters on a couple of the cars available to me. I never
even look at them while driving. Driving on the ordinary road network
should never necessitate running the engine at in-the-red speeds and
just listening to the engine note should be more than enough.

Simon Jester December 19th 18 06:49 PM

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 4:55:53 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 16:15, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents
because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the
road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions
rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber'
drivers have blanked off their tachometers.

Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

When I learnt to drive reasonably priced cars didn't have rev counters
and so I was taught to listen to the pitch of the engine. I think
listening is better than a rev counter as we instinctively hear whereas
we need to pro-actively read a rev counter.

There are rev counters on a couple of the cars available to me.

Maybe you need a new Playstation.

[email protected] December 19th 18 07:52 PM

Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 4:15:49 PM UTC, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.

Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

I often check mine to see if I am in 4th/5th or 6th gear at ~60mph as my engine is so quiet and I like to be in 6th gear whilst doing 50mph.

JNugent[_10_] December 19th 18 08:57 PM

On 19/12/2018 17:49, Simon Jester wrote:
[...]

Well, thank you very much.

When will you deliver it?

I haven't got anything for you, though.