CycleBanter.com

-   -   A new year's resolution for all of us (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=176456)

Simon Brooke January 4th 08 09:01 PM

A new year's resolution for all of us

Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:

* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is primarily
about motoring
* I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
safespeed trolls
* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is cross-
posted to any other group

;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'

Matt B January 4th 08 09:21 PM

Simon Brooke wrote:
Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:

Are you telling us, or asking us?

* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is primarily
about motoring

What's the point of that one? You're not interested in road safety
issues that may impact cyclists?

* I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
safespeed trolls

You've already broken that one - remember?
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/993f55cc41d29312

Was it the resultant egg on your face that prompted this post?
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/7499657a0bd77b93
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/b462f072e7eb8199

* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is cross-
posted to any other group

Maybe some of the narrower-minded of the urc old-guard will follow your
diktat, but I've noticed how refreshingly open-minded some of the newer
contributors here are, so I doubt that they'll toe the line.

--
Matt B

[email protected] January 4th 08 10:09 PM

Matt B wrote:
Maybe some of the narrower-minded of the urc old-guard will follow your
diktat, but I've noticed how refreshingly open-minded some of the newer
contributors here are, so I doubt that they'll toe the line.

Another way of putting that might be "I've noticed that some of the
newer contributors haven't yet realised I'm a single-issue poster with
no interest in discussing any other aspect of cycling, and while I know
that sooner or later they'll put two and two together I hope the influx
will continue so that they in turn will be replaced by more easy targets
for my tedious hobbyhorsery".

It's a shame that the web-based forums all have such comparatively sucky
user interfaces, because they really are where the actual discussion
happens these days. Usenet is dead, film at any time you want.

-dan

Pete Biggs January 4th 08 10:17 PM

Simon Brooke wrote:
Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:

* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
primarily about motoring
* I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other
well-known safespeed trolls
* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
cross- posted to any other group

Just #2 for me. I /might/ be interested in a motoring thread one day, and I
don't object to threads x-posted to a couple of relevant groups.

~PB

wafflycat January 4th 08 10:44 PM

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:

* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
primarily
about motoring

Actually, I enjoy motoring as well as being on the bike (or trike). Maybe I
don't notice them, but are many threads *primarily* about motoring?

* I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
safespeed trolls

Some of us have the trolls kill-filed anyhow :)

* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is cross-
posted to any other group

I try not to cross-post anyhow, but occasionally have to slap my own wrist
:)

Marc January 4th 08 10:46 PM

wafflycat wrote:

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:

* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
primarily
about motoring

Actually, I enjoy motoring as well as being on the bike (or trike).
Maybe I don't notice them, but are many threads *primarily* about motoring?

* I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
safespeed trolls

Some of us have the trolls kill-filed anyhow :)

I have the mattb one kill filed but keep forgetting the nugent one, I'll
have to try and remember the next time he pops up

Adam Lea[_2_] January 5th 08 12:49 AM

A new year's resolution for all of us

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message

* I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
safespeed trolls

I do find that sometimes these two make some valid points. Looking through
the archives I have found some interesting debates. It is good to have
people with differing points of view as it would be boring if everyone
agreed with everyone else all the time.

Also, if I want to disagree with someone about an emotive subject is there a
"right" way and a "wrong" way to go about this?

Adam

Simon Brooke January 5th 08 01:02 AM

Adam Lea wrote:

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message

* I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other well-known
safespeed trolls

I do find that sometimes these two make some valid points. Looking through
the archives I have found some interesting debates. It is good to have
people with differing points of view as it would be boring if everyone
agreed with everyone else all the time.

Also, if I want to disagree with someone about an emotive subject is there
a "right" way and a "wrong" way to go about this?

The right way is to go over to uk.rec.driving.frothing.at.the.mouth and do
it there.

Morning had broken, and there was nothing we could do but wait
patiently for the RAC to arrive.

barry taylor January 5th 08 06:30 AM

A new year's resolution for all of us

Amen to that. . .

:
: * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
primarily
: about motoring
: * I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other
well-known
: safespeed trolls
: * I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
cross-
: posted to any other group
:
: --
: (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
:
: ;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'
:

---

a friendly growl from the bear on the Zephyr that roars

__ __ __ _ __
/__/ / /__/ /_ /_\ /_ /
/_ / _ / /__/ /__ / \ / \ ....Kawasaki Zephyr

barry j taylor
Ulysses #25871: netrider #549
Skype: ursusaustralis

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*) . . . bjbear on his treadly

Rob Morley January 5th 08 12:35 PM

A new year's resolution for all of us

In article , Paul - xxx
says...
Simon Brooke wibbled

Could we all make a set of new years resolutions as follows:

* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
primarily about motoring
* I shall not follow up to JNugent, Matt B or any of the other
well-known safespeed trolls
* I shall not contribute to any thread on uk.rec.cycling which is
cross- posted to any other group

Nope.

Just because you don't want to see other viewpoints, doesn't mean
everyones outlook is so blinkered.

He didn't say he wouldn't be reading all the drivel, just that he
wouldn't be stirring the pot.