CycleBanter.com

-   -   Who is to blame Cyclist or Taxi Driver? ( I dont like either) (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=250010)

Judith[_4_] November 27th 15 03:36 PM

Who is to blame Cyclist or Taxi Driver? ( I dont like either)

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 13:15:58 +0000, Nick wrote:

Additionally having just had another cyclist pass on the left the taxi
driver should have been doubly alert.

So he has seen one cyclist riding dangerously, so he should assume another will
be along shortly to carry out the same manoeuvre?

If he did that he would have no time to do anything else.

Nick[_4_] November 27th 15 07:09 PM

On 27/11/2015 14:36, Judith wrote:
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 13:15:58 +0000, Nick wrote:

Additionally having just had another cyclist pass on the left the taxi
driver should have been doubly alert.

So he has seen one cyclist riding dangerously, so he should assume another will
be along shortly to carry out the same manoeuvre?

He should realise his original mistake in not checking properly, stop
and check his mirrors before continuing.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if he had enough time to react to the
first cyclist.

If he did that he would have no time to do anything else.

If he can't signal properly and check his mirrors he really shouldn't be
driving at all.

Judith[_4_] November 27th 15 08:10 PM

Who is to blame Cyclist or Taxi Driver? ( I dont like either)

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 18:09:41 +0000, Nick wrote:

snip

If he can't signal properly and check his mirrors he really shouldn't be
driving at all.

He has taken a test and passed it.

Has the cyclist do you know?

Fredxxx November 27th 15 08:17 PM

On 27/11/2015 18:09, Nick wrote:
On 27/11/2015 14:36, Judith wrote:
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 13:15:58 +0000, Nick wrote:

Additionally having just had another cyclist pass on the left the taxi
driver should have been doubly alert.

So he has seen one cyclist riding dangerously, so he should assume
another will
be along shortly to carry out the same manoeuvre?

He should realise his original mistake in not checking properly, stop
and check his mirrors before continuing.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if he had enough time to react to the
first cyclist.

If he did that he would have no time to do anything else.

If he can't signal properly and check his mirrors he really shouldn't be
driving at all.

If a cyclist can see ahead then he shouldn't be cycling. Perhaps cyclist
should also have mirrors?

Perhaps bikes should have compulsory MOTs to check if the brakes work?

Mr Pounder Esquire November 27th 15 08:46 PM

Judith wrote:
On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 18:09:41 +0000, Nick
wrote:

snip

If he can't signal properly and check his mirrors he really
shouldn't be driving at all.

He has taken a test and passed it.

Has the cyclist do you know?

I got 100% and I would not be seen dead on a pedal bike. It's all to do with
not looking like a bellend.
I bet that many of the cyclists here would not get 100%
But of course they would never admit it.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ycling-7315073

jnugent November 28th 15 12:33 AM

On 27/11/2015 19:17, Fredxxx wrote:
On 27/11/2015 18:09, Nick wrote:
On 27/11/2015 14:36, Judith wrote:
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 13:15:58 +0000, Nick wrote:

Additionally having just had another cyclist pass on the left the taxi
driver should have been doubly alert.

So he has seen one cyclist riding dangerously, so he should assume
another will
be along shortly to carry out the same manoeuvre?

He should realise his original mistake in not checking properly, stop
and check his mirrors before continuing.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if he had enough time to react to the
first cyclist.

If he did that he would have no time to do anything else.

If he can't signal properly and check his mirrors he really shouldn't be
driving at all.

If a cyclist can see ahead then he shouldn't be cycling.

Absolutely.

Everyone knows that the correct way to ride a bicycle is to stare at the
ground immediately beneath you and to totally ignore anything you are
cycling towards.

The proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OrKLGEOVRA

Mike Swift November 28th 15 01:19 AM

Who is to blame Cyclist or Taxi Driver? ( I dont like either)

In article , Fredxxx
writes
Perhaps bikes should have compulsory MOTs to check if the brakes work?

Or a medical certificate to say the brain works.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Cycle-Ops November 28th 15 01:39 AM

Who is to blame Cyclist or Taxi Driver? ( I dont like either)

On 28/11/2015 00:19, Mike Swift wrote:
In article , Fredxxx writes
Perhaps bikes should have compulsory MOTs to check if the brakes work?

Or a medical certificate to say the brain works.

Mike

That would be a 100% fail.

--
Dave
Dedicated to finding a cure for cycling.

Nick[_4_] November 28th 15 01:01 PM

On 27/11/2015 19:10, Judith wrote:
On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 18:09:41 +0000, Nick wrote:

snip

If he can't signal properly and check his mirrors he really shouldn't be
driving at all.

He has taken a test and passed it.

Has the cyclist do you know?

There is a common theme in these threads where people suggest that the
same rules should be applied to motor vehicles and bicycles. Clearly
they are different. Hence different rules are required. This suggestion
is similar to arguing that a domestic roof top solar power generator
should be subjected to all the same rules and checks as a nuclear power
station.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

FWIW I don't even know if I have passed a cycling test. I remember the
cycling proficiency lessons but not the result.

MrCheerful November 28th 15 01:22 PM

On 28/11/2015 12:01, Nick wrote:
On 27/11/2015 19:10, Judith wrote:
On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 18:09:41 +0000, Nick wrote:

snip

If he can't signal properly and check his mirrors he really shouldn't be
driving at all.

He has taken a test and passed it.

Has the cyclist do you know?

There is a common theme in these threads where people suggest that the
same rules should be applied to motor vehicles and bicycles. Clearly
they are different. Hence different rules are required.

The rules of the road do apply, and should be applied to all road users,
irrespective of the power, weight or speed of their vehicles. As much
of road policing is now done remotely by camera, it is now appropriate
that all vehicles are traceable through a number plate.