CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Antibiotics - lost power? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=84734)

jj March 13th 05 05:29 PM

Antibiotics - lost power?

I've been taking antibiotics (Cephalexin, 500mg also called Keflin) for the
past 5 days for a minor infection. On the second full day on them I ended
up cutting two minor hills off my route. On the third day on them I posted
the worst ride of the year, cutting my mileage in 1/2 and since then I've
only been able to cruise on the flats at reduced mileage.

I don't feel any systemic loss of energy, my motivation, though not great
is unremarkable. The legs feel just a touch of achyness which is not the
usual - even after the tougher rides (for me) my legs usually never hurt.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a loss of power from taking
this type (or any type) of antibiotics? I didn't find anything on google.

TIA

jj

Tom Sherman March 13th 05 06:12 PM

jj wrote:

I've been taking antibiotics (Cephalexin, 500mg also called Keflin) for the
past 5 days for a minor infection. On the second full day on them I ended
up cutting two minor hills off my route. On the third day on them I posted
the worst ride of the year, cutting my mileage in 1/2 and since then I've
only been able to cruise on the flats at reduced mileage.

I don't feel any systemic loss of energy, my motivation, though not great
is unremarkable. The legs feel just a touch of achyness which is not the
usual - even after the tougher rides (for me) my legs usually never hurt.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a loss of power from taking
this type (or any type) of antibiotics? I didn't find anything on google.

It could be the result of the extra stress the infection is putting on
your body.

--
Tom Sherman – Earth (Illinois)

jj March 13th 05 07:04 PM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:12:02 -0600, Tom Sherman
wrote:

jj wrote:

I've been taking antibiotics (Cephalexin, 500mg also called Keflin) for the
past 5 days for a minor infection. On the second full day on them I ended
up cutting two minor hills off my route. On the third day on them I posted
the worst ride of the year, cutting my mileage in 1/2 and since then I've
only been able to cruise on the flats at reduced mileage.

I don't feel any systemic loss of energy, my motivation, though not great
is unremarkable. The legs feel just a touch of achyness which is not the
usual - even after the tougher rides (for me) my legs usually never hurt.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a loss of power from taking
this type (or any type) of antibiotics? I didn't find anything on google.

It could be the result of the extra stress the infection is putting on
your body.

Thanks for the input, Tom. I don't think this is the case. I had the
infection for about three days (it occurred on a Friday, late - isn't that
always the way? g). During those three days I rode as hard as usual and
had no problems. It was particularly bad on Sat and Sun and had no effect
on my riding.

I'll be sure to ask the doc on Monday if the Keflex can have that effect
when I have my last followup, b/c the infection is almost completely
resolved.

I finish the course of antibiotic on Thursday, so if my riding stays below
par and then picks up strongly next Sat or Sun, I think I'll have the
answer.

Appreciate the comment, though. Thanks!

jj

Kenny March 14th 05 01:01 AM

I heard that anti-biotics can also kill off friendly bacteria that help
in converting food to energy located in the small intestines. Also they
can inhibit certain enzymes that which also help in digestion.

Steve Knight March 14th 05 02:34 AM

On 13 Mar 2005 17:01:04 -0800, "Kenny" wrote:

I heard that anti-biotics can also kill off friendly bacteria that help
in converting food to energy located in the small intestines. Also they
can inhibit certain enzymes that which also help in digestion.

yep I have had this problem for years. it really drains you.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

RonSonic March 14th 05 02:58 AM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:29:41 -0500, jj wrote:

I've been taking antibiotics (Cephalexin, 500mg also called Keflin) for the
past 5 days for a minor infection. On the second full day on them I ended
up cutting two minor hills off my route. On the third day on them I posted
the worst ride of the year, cutting my mileage in 1/2 and since then I've
only been able to cruise on the flats at reduced mileage.

I don't feel any systemic loss of energy, my motivation, though not great
is unremarkable. The legs feel just a touch of achyness which is not the
usual - even after the tougher rides (for me) my legs usually never hurt.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a loss of power from taking
this type (or any type) of antibiotics? I didn't find anything on google.

Yes, antibiotics can be rough on your system as can being SICK. If you weren't
SICK you wouldn't be getting drugs like that. Some foreign pathogen has entered
your system where it is breeding and feeding and making you SICK. Of course
you're losing power on the bike. You're doing good to be riding at all when
you're SICK.

Look I'm just ribbing you with the "SICK" thing, but there's more than a little
truth to it. I mean what do you expect, you got a disease and you're taking a
powerful antibiotic (just check the powerful price) that is capable of taking
out anthrax and the bubonic plague and you're surprised that you're legs aren't
quite sharp?!?!

Give yourself a break.

Ron

jj March 14th 05 03:22 AM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 02:58:11 GMT, RonSonic
wrote:

Look I'm just ribbing you with the "SICK" thing, but there's more than a little
truth to it. I mean what do you expect, you got a disease and you're taking a
powerful antibiotic (just check the powerful price) that is capable of taking
out anthrax and the bubonic plague and you're surprised that you're legs aren't
quite sharp?!?!

Give yourself a break.

Ron

OK, ok... ;-)

I'm just saying that during the worst part of the infection (last Fri.,
Sat. and Sun.) I was riding with my usual exhuberance. So, even though I
get your drift, I don't think it's the illness so much as some side effect
from the antibiotic.

Today's ride was a little better. I was able to spin up and sprint three or
four times, but was still pushing an easier gear than usual.

I guess what I'm hoping is that it's not my age catching up with me or my
conditioning - thing is I've been doing so well up to this point and was
hoping or expecting my breakthrough of 2/20/05 to continue. Had been seeing
steady improvement from 2/09, fairly strong serial improvement on 2/20
through 2/22, each day being progressively stronger.

Then suddenly as of 3/09 started seeing a serious slump that lasted until
today. This co-incided with the starting of the antibiotic on 3/07.
Motivation was fine (unlike when I'm really sick), but surprisingly, legs
were just not there.

jj

RonSonic March 14th 05 03:36 AM

wrote:

Look I'm just ribbing you with the "SICK" thing, but there's more than a little
truth to it. I mean what do you expect, you got a disease and you're taking a
powerful antibiotic (just check the powerful price) that is capable of taking
out anthrax and the bubonic plague and you're surprised that you're legs aren't
quite sharp?!?!

Give yourself a break.

Ron

OK, ok... ;-)

I'm just saying that during the worst part of the infection (last Fri.,
Sat. and Sun.) I was riding with my usual exhuberance. So, even though I
get your drift, I don't think it's the illness so much as some side effect
from the antibiotic.

Could be. Could be you were running on reserves that are now depleted. In any
event I don't think you are going to be hurt by this in any long term way.

Today's ride was a little better. I was able to spin up and sprint three or
four times, but was still pushing an easier gear than usual.

I guess what I'm hoping is that it's not my age catching up with me or my
conditioning - thing is I've been doing so well up to this point and was
hoping or expecting my breakthrough of 2/20/05 to continue. Had been seeing
steady improvement from 2/09, fairly strong serial improvement on 2/20
through 2/22, each day being progressively stronger.

Then suddenly as of 3/09 started seeing a serious slump that lasted until
today. This co-incided with the starting of the antibiotic on 3/07.
Motivation was fine (unlike when I'm really sick), but surprisingly, legs
were just not there.

I'd say relax and recover and get back on form once you're well. Don't know what
sort of training cycle you're on, but I'd chalk this up as an easy week, even if
it means having an extra one, and then get back on the rivet. Sickness,
antibiotics and stress can all take something out of you and seeing how you're
pretty well there with all three it's probably a better time for a recovery
phase than an overload phase.

Ron

Roy Zipris March 14th 05 02:03 PM

You probably know this, but don't you think you may be setting
unreasonable expectations if you expect your progress to be a constant
"steady improvement," without ups and downs, especially over the course
of just a couple of weeks? You're going to have good days and bad days
and won't always be "progressively stronger," with no apparent
explanation. --Roy Zipris

jj March 14th 05 04:14 PM

On 14 Mar 2005 06:03:09 -0800, "Roy Zipris" wrote:

You probably know this, but don't you think you may be setting
unreasonable expectations if you expect your progress to be a constant
"steady improvement," without ups and downs, especially over the course
of just a couple of weeks? You're going to have good days and bad days
and won't always be "progressively stronger," with no apparent
explanation. --Roy Zipris

Thanks Roy. I realize the progress won't be a steady progression. What
usually happens is I have a base-line ability then I get sudden improvement
to where I'm able to do the same hills in two gears lower (harder), then I
stay at this new level for a week or so. Following that (looking at my
Excel spreadsheet) I usually have a couple lack-luster days, then I have a
good day and I level off at a higher level of ability and the pattern
repeats. I ride 7 days a week.

What's strange with this period (late Feb) is that I had a -much- better
improvement than usual - hills I normally had ridden in 48x19 I was riding
in 52x17 (different bike) and I had the ability to try new, harder routes.
This improvement persisted for about a week, then I went on the
antibiotics. Two days later my ability seemed to drop to about half-normal.
I couldn't ride any of the hills and had to cut my mileage in half!

The other puzzling part was that my motivation seemed fine - my legs just
lacked the normal 'pop', and they were slightly sore. That soreness -never-
happens, even if I'm doing two-a-day workouts, or when I have several days
of increased ability and harder-than-normal rides.

My performance seems to have several components - motivational energy,
systemic energy level, leg energy, and upper body energy. When all of these
are working together, which happens about every three weeks, I have a large
surge in ability as measured by my gearing, and hill climbing ability.

So my thinking is the antibiotics affected the Leg energy and the Systemic
energy level, and resulted in a very large drop in ability.

Today my infection is completely cleared up, so I'll be interested in
seeing how well I ride. Yesterday's ride was marginally better than usual.

I do realize the need to have 'recovery days', but up to this point I
haven't really needed to incorporate them - I'm not training at a high
enough level to requre them, imo. I'll be having my last doctor's visit
today and I'll be sure and ask him if the antibiotics could be having this
effect.

Thanks for the input!

jj