CycleBanter.com

-   Social Issues (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Seeking info: economic effects of bike/ped trails (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=88671)

Matt O'Toole May 5th 05 01:51 AM

Seeking info: economic effects of bike/ped trails

I'm working on a local advocacy project, converting a derelict rail trestle to a
bike/ped bridge. As usual there are a few vocal NIMBYs. So I'm seeking
reports, articles, etc., showing the actual, demonstrated economic effects of
bike/ped paths. For example, effects on trade in surrounding areas, property
values, crime, etc. Any info or leads are appreciated, the more specific the
better.

Matt O.

Leo Lichtman May 5th 05 02:51 AM

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
I'm working on a local advocacy project, converting a derelict rail
trestle to a
bike/ped bridge. As usual there are a few vocal NIMBYs

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What possible objection could anyone have to a project like this?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(clip) Any info or leads are appreciated, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Google "Rails to Trails"--an organization dedicated to converting these old
routes to multi-use trails. Besides the obvious benefits, one of their main
arguments is that if the country ever needs these routes again for
transportation, it will be much easier to resurrect them if they are not
broken up for other uses.

Ken May 5th 05 06:11 AM

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in
:
I'm working on a local advocacy project, converting a derelict rail
trestle to a
bike/ped bridge. As usual there are a few vocal NIMBYs
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What possible objection could anyone have to a project like this?

I've heard lots of NIMBY anti-bike-path arguments. They say things like it
will give criminals an easy way in and out of the neighborhood. Sometimes
they say it will attract children to cycling, which is a dangerous activity.
The real reason is that they don't want outsiders to use the public roads
near their houses. In the case of an off-street bike path, the path may
change their view of a nearby stream or mountain. All NIMBY arguments are,
of course, selfish. Some NIMBYs have a lot of political power, though.

[email protected] May 5th 05 09:17 AM

http://www.trailsandgreenways.org/re...ne/default.asp
has the documents you want in PDFs (adobe acrobate)

http://www.railtrails.org/
http://www.trailsfromrails.com/
http://www.traillink.com/default.asp
http://www.trailnet.org/
http://www.trailsandgreenways.org/

http://www.trailsfromrails.com/katy_trail.htm
http://www.bikekatytrail.com/
http://mostateparks.com/katytrail/index.html
http://www.katycentral.com/communityInfo/default.asp

Mitch Haley May 5th 05 11:59 AM

Ken wrote:
I've heard lots of NIMBY anti-bike-path arguments. They say things like it
will give criminals an easy way in and out of the neighborhood.

As opposed to streets, which give criminals quick and easy access by motor
vehicle plus any mode of travel which may be used on a sidepath. In short,
most NIMBYs show as much intelligence as some near me who built their houses
on a gasoline pipeline. Now that the pipeline is 80 years old, rusty and
slightly dangerous, the company that owns it wants to tear up the backyards
and install a safer, higher capacity pipeline. The response: NIMBY!
The oil company, which owned an easement on the properties before any of the
houses and schools involved were built, is now trying to shove the new
pipeline through some less affluent neighborhoods, people who also feel
NIMBY, and who never volunteered to share their yards with a pipeline, but
who don't have the means to buy politicians.

Matt O'Toole May 5th 05 06:13 PM

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message

I'm working on a local advocacy project, converting a derelict rail
trestle to a
bike/ped bridge. As usual there are a few vocal NIMBYs

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What possible objection could anyone have to a project like this?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(clip) Any info or leads are appreciated, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Google "Rails to Trails"--an organization dedicated to converting
these old routes to multi-use trails. Besides the obvious benefits,
one of their main arguments is that if the country ever needs these
routes again for transportation, it will be much easier to resurrect
them if they are not broken up for other uses.

I'm well aware of the usual stuff. I'm looking for specific case studies, that
other advocacy folks may have come across in their own work. Thanks anyway
though.

Matt O.

Ben A Gozar May 5th 05 07:14 PM

There is a neighborhood by where I ride where they have blocked all
entrances to their area via trails. I think it is an ego thing. I sometimes
make a point of riding through on the the street to remind them they are
not seperate from the world.

Not an objection but on one of the science channels last night it was
stated that using a car or truck makes gasoline cost about $13.00 a gallon
once all peripheral cost is factored in.

Beverly May 5th 05 07:39 PM

Matt O'Toole wrote:
I'm working on a local advocacy project, converting a derelict rail

trestle to a
bike/ped bridge. As usual there are a few vocal NIMBYs. So I'm

seeking
reports, articles, etc., showing the actual, demonstrated economic

effects of
bike/ped paths. For example, effects on trade in surrounding areas,

property
values, crime, etc. Any info or leads are appreciated, the more

specific the
better.

Matt O.

Try this site:
http://www.pitt.edu/~eofarb/recreation.htm

A search using 'rail-to-trail economic impact' shows other results you
might be able to use, too.

Beverly

Mike Kruger May 6th 05 02:47 AM

Matt O'Toole wrote:

I'm well aware of the usual stuff. I'm looking for specific

case
studies, that other advocacy folks may have come across in

their own
work. Thanks anyway though.

Some Michigan-centric info here, although not a lot of depth.
http://www.montcalm.org/trail/faq.asp

--
Mike Kruger
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is

[email protected] May 7th 05 06:15 AM

You might look at these:

http://www.americantrails.org/resources/economics/

and specifically this, which shows some statistics about Katy Trail
users gathered in the course of tourism marketing research:

http://www.americantrails.org/resour...tyTourism.html

Do you know about the recent (and ongoing) research in Wisconsin?

Excerpt from the AP article:

--
A preliminary study estimates that the state accounts for nearly 20
percent of the nation's bicycling industry, with a total impact on the

That estimate is probably conservative, say the study's co-authors
Chuck Strawser, of the Bicycling Federation of Wisconsin, and Tom
Huber, bicycle and pedestrian coordinator with the state Department of
Transportation.

The study is being prepared for the Gov.'s Bicycling Coordinating
Council, and it's designed to measure the impact of bicycle factories,
such as the Trek cycle works in Watertown, plus spending by two-wheel
tourists using the state's many trails and at various cycling events
held in Wisconsin.

The total estimate includes the industry accounting for $556 million
and 3,418 jobs and tourism bringing in anywhere from $208 million to
$278 million.

"Bicycle tourism is so difficult to quantify," Huber said.

. . .

The study is only considered to be preliminary because the tourism
numbers and methodology are being reviewed, he said.

. . .

The top tourism estimate of a $278 million impact would represent 3-4
percent of Wisconsin's $11.7 billion in tourism and recreation revenue
in 2003.
--

--Brent

brent [at] brenthugh.com