CycleBanter.com

-   Recumbent Biking (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Do Americans know what a PASSING LANE is? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=215756)

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] April 20th 10 06:06 PM

Do Americans know what a PASSING LANE is?

On Apr 20, 2:24*am, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:51:48 -0700 (PDT), "TibetanMonkey,
the-Monkey-with-the-Bag-of-****" declaimed
the following in alt.scooter:

A PASSING LANE IS...

__ A passing lane is the lane on a multi-lane highway or motorway
closest to the center of the road (the central reservation).

* * * * Which doesn't apply to many of the freeways in my area -- where that
lane is a diamond (car pool) lane.

Here (southeast Michigan), we don't have car pool lanes.

The passing lane is the one that you drive in when the folks in the
other
lanes don't know that the customary speed is 10 over the posted limit.

TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with-the-Bag-of-Shit April 20th 10 09:40 PM

Do Americans know what a PASSING LANE is?

On Apr 20, 10:06*am, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
On Apr 20, 2:24*am, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:51:48 -0700 (PDT), "TibetanMonkey,
the-Monkey-with-the-Bag-of-****" declaimed
the following in alt.scooter:

A PASSING LANE IS...

__ A passing lane is the lane on a multi-lane highway or motorway
closest to the center of the road (the central reservation).

* * * * Which doesn't apply to many of the freeways in my area -- where that
lane is a diamond (car pool) lane.

Here (southeast Michigan), we don't have car pool lanes.

The passing lane is the one that you drive in when the folks in the
other
lanes don't know that the customary speed is 10 over the posted limit.

I think our roads show the dangers of RIGHT WING LIBERTARIANISM, where
the big fish rules.

Left wing libertarians would be fighting over space on the bike lanes.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] April 21st 10 06:01 PM

Do Americans know what a PASSING LANE is?

On Apr 20, 4:40*pm, "TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with-the-Bag-of-****"
wrote:

I think our roads show the dangers of RIGHT WING LIBERTARIANISM, where
the big fish rules.

You fundamentally fail to realize that the big fish rules not just the
roads,
but every aspect of life. Become a big fish or be eaten.

TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with-the-Bag-of-Shit[_2_] April 21st 10 06:33 PM

Do Americans know what a PASSING LANE is?

wrote:
I think our roads show the dangers of RIGHT WING LIBERTARIANISM, where
the big fish rules.

You fundamentally fail to realize that the big fish rules not just the
roads,
but every aspect of life. *Become a big fish or be eaten.

I don't fail to realize it, I just say that it is a contradiction with
democracy.

In democracy the little fish would be eating the big fish, or at least
keep them in a seaquarium with the killer whales.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] April 22nd 10 05:48 PM

Do Americans know what a PASSING LANE is?

wrote:
I think our roads show the dangers of RIGHT WING LIBERTARIANISM, where
the big fish rules.

You fundamentally fail to realize that the big fish rules not just the
roads,
but every aspect of life. *Become a big fish or be eaten.

I don't fail to realize it, I just say that it is a contradiction with
democracy.

In democracy the little fish would be eating the big fish, or at least
keep them in a seaquarium with the killer whales.

America isn't a democracy; it is a republic. Perhaps you should learn
the distinction.

Oh, and you should also learn to distinguish between wishful thinking
and reality.

TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with-the-Bag-of-Shit[_2_] April 22nd 10 06:14 PM

Do Americans know what a PASSING LANE is?

wrote:
I think our roads show the dangers of RIGHT WING LIBERTARIANISM, where
the big fish rules.

You fundamentally fail to realize that the big fish rules not just the
roads,
but every aspect of life. *Become a big fish or be eaten.

I don't fail to realize it, I just say that it is a contradiction with
democracy.

In democracy the little fish would be eating the big fish, or at least
keep them in a seaquarium with the killer whales.

America isn't a democracy; it is a republic. *Perhaps you should learn
the distinction.

Oh, and you should also learn to distinguish between wishful thinking
and reality.

What do they mean then when they say they are "fighting for democracy"
in every war? How about our wish for democracy, say, in Iran?

See, they think they are fighting for democracy, but they may get a
democratic circus...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjzHGb638ow

NO PLACE TO RIDE A BIKE!? PATHETIC, SHAMEFUL ANTI-DEMOCRATIC!!!

TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with-the-Bag-of-Shit[_2_] April 22nd 10 06:32 PM

wrote:
I think our roads show the dangers of RIGHT WING LIBERTARIANISM, where
the big fish rules.

You fundamentally fail to realize that the big fish rules not just the
roads,
but every aspect of life. *Become a big fish or be eaten.

I don't fail to realize it, I just say that it is a contradiction with
democracy.

In democracy the little fish would be eating the big fish, or at least
keep them in a seaquarium with the killer whales.

America isn't a democracy; it is a republic. *Perhaps you should learn
the distinction.

Oh, and you should also learn to distinguish between wishful thinking
and reality.

FYI:

(I quote)

The term republic may have many different meanings. It normally means
a state with an elected or otherwise non-monarchical head of state,
such as the Islamic Republic of Iran or Republic of Korea. Sometimes
in the US it is used similar to liberal democracy. For example, "the
United States relies on representative democracy, but its system of
government is much more complex than that. It is not a simple
representative democracy, but a constitutional republic in which
majority rule is tempered."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representative_democracy

Bob[_17_] April 23rd 10 06:59 AM

Do Americans know what a PASSING LANE is?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:14:47 -0700 (PDT), "TibetanMonkey,
the-Monkey-with-the-Bag-of-****" wrote:

|NO PLACE TO RIDE A BIKE!? PATHETIC, SHAMEFUL ANTI-DEMOCRATIC!!!

That is the biggest factor that rots the city concept.....taking the
commute/transit/bus is the best, but it doesn't go everywhere and all that.

I drive a Yamaha Majesty when I scoot, but I don;t find it fun like
the rice rocket burners, who are giving some of us a bad rep.

Peddle/electrics are good way for very local commute, but not
everyone lives in downtown New York or any congested city.

Bob

TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with-the-Bag-of-Shit[_2_] April 23rd 10 11:18 AM

On Apr 23, 1:59*am, Bob wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:14:47 -0700 (PDT), "TibetanMonkey,

the-Monkey-with-the-Bag-of-****" wrote:

|NO PLACE TO RIDE A BIKE!? PATHETIC, SHAMEFUL ANTI-DEMOCRATIC!!!

* * * * That is the biggest factor that rots the city concept......taking the
commute/transit/bus is the best, but it doesn't go everywhere and all that.

TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with-the-Bag-of-Shit[_2_] April 23rd 10 12:39 PM

Do Americans know what a PASSING LANE is?

I offer the following solution:

Right lane for use for slower two-wheeled vehicles (bicycles,
scooters) and alternative vehicles under 30mph. BICYCLE TAKES THE
LANE.

The problem now is not only the behemoths, but they pass on any lane
including the right. NO PHONE, of course.

This vehicle would be quite fun on city streets:

http://www.greencar.com/articles/bom...ic-vehicle.php