CycleBanter.com

-   -   Seven Cycles "Sounds Cheap"Touring Frame (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=143733)

R Brickston August 29th 06 04:36 AM

Seven Cycles "Sounds Cheap"Touring Frame

I hear a fully loaded Seven Cycles bike with all the uber components
can run $7-,0000 $9,000. My local LBS is a dealer and can order a
custom touring geometry off my measurements and a fitting on mock-up.

I've got all the parts and the built to order frameset is $1600. Seven
won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent buy or
would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt and $40
extra for the embroidered horse/rider.

bfd August 29th 06 06:14 AM

"R Brickston" rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@ wrote in message
I hear a fully loaded Seven Cycles bike with all the uber components
can run $7-,0000 $9,000. My local LBS is a dealer and can order a
custom touring geometry off my measurements and a fitting on mock-up.

I've got all the parts and the built to order frameset is $1600. Seven
won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent buy or
would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt and $40
extra for the embroidered horse/rider.

Is this a titanium or steel frameset? If its ti, you can probably just take
the stickers off with a hair blower. If its steel and the decals are
clearcoated, you may have no choice but to ride it with the stickers on.
Alternatively, you could buy it and pay to have it repainted, but that would
probably cost an additional $200-500 depending on who is painting it.

R Brickston August 29th 06 06:31 AM

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:14:13 -0700, "bfd" wrote:

"R Brickston" rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@ wrote in message
.. .
I hear a fully loaded Seven Cycles bike with all the uber components
can run $7-,0000 $9,000. My local LBS is a dealer and can order a
custom touring geometry off my measurements and a fitting on mock-up.

I've got all the parts and the built to order frameset is $1600. Seven
won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent buy or
would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt and $40
extra for the embroidered horse/rider.

Is this a titanium or steel frameset? If its ti, you can probably just take
the stickers off with a hair blower. If its steel and the decals are
clearcoated, you may have no choice but to ride it with the stickers on.
Alternatively, you could buy it and pay to have it repainted, but that would
probably cost an additional $200-500 depending on who is painting it.

I'm looking at the steel version, I'm not really worried about the
decals, I'm wondering about the value.

G.T. August 29th 06 07:20 AM

R Brickston wrote:
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:14:13 -0700, "bfd" wrote:

"R Brickston" rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@ wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Then why did you write this stupid sentence: "Seven won't ship it
without their name/logo on it."

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

R Brickston August 29th 06 08:26 AM

Seven Cycles "Sounds Cheap"Touring Frame

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:20:11 -0700, "G.T."
wrote:

R Brickston wrote:
[...]

Read it in context:

"Seven won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent
buy or would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt
and $40 extra for the embroidered horse/rider."

Seven- name/logo
Ralph Lauren- little horsey emblem

Roy Zipris August 29th 06 12:04 PM

Seven Cycles "Sounds Cheap"Touring Frame

R Brickston wrote: "Seven won't ship it without their name/logo on it.
Is this a decent
buy or would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt
and $40 extra for the embroidered horse/rider."

Your analogy isn't quite right, since you are talking about custom, not
"off the rack," where there is some cost associated with the additional
effort required to design and build to spec a custom frame.

Isn't the real question whether you *need* a custom frame? If not, then
it's not a good deal, and you're just paying a lot of money for the
cachet of owning a custom bike built by Seven. If you do need custom,
then it may be a decent buy. Every Seven owner I know likes their bike
a lot, but you can get equally wonderful custom steel bikes for less
than what you cite for the Seven you are contemplating. Regards, Roy
Zipris

RonSonic August 29th 06 02:31 PM

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 03:36:03 GMT, R Brickston rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@ wrote:

I hear a fully loaded Seven Cycles bike with all the uber components
can run $7-,0000 $9,000. My local LBS is a dealer and can order a
custom touring geometry off my measurements and a fitting on mock-up.

I've got all the parts and the built to order frameset is $1600. Seven
won't ship it without their name/logo on it. Is this a decent buy or
would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt and $40
extra for the embroidered horse/rider.

The shirt is not usually custom fitted. Paying $45 for a tailor made shirt is
not expensive at all.

For a custom fitted frame $1600 is not unreasonable. It is more than many, but
less than some others.

Ron

RonSonic August 29th 06 02:35 PM

wrote:

R Brickston wrote:
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:14:13 -0700, "bfd" wrote:

"R Brickston" rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@ wrote in message
m...

[...]

It confuses the issue. Sounds like you wanted a stealth bike or a discount for
leaving off the stickers.

This isn't shirts at the mall you're buying here. The guys who build this stuff
love it and take pride. That's why they've got the logo. If they were just in it
for a buck they'd be selling shirts at the mall.

Ron

bfd August 29th 06 03:04 PM

Seven Cycles "Sounds Cheap"Touring Frame

"Roy Zipris" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Further, $1650 for a tigged steel frameset is not a bargain. IF you don't
want the name, then there are tons of builders who can provide the same
"fit" as Seven for less.

R Brickston August 29th 06 03:53 PM

Seven Cycles "Sounds Cheap"Touring Frame

On 29 Aug 2006 04:04:54 -0700, "Roy Zipris"
wrote:

[...]

Any suggestions on a frame builder? One benefit of the Seven is that
the fitting process would be at the local lbs. They take all your
measurements and the style of bike you want and send it off to Seven
who then sends back their idea of the geometry. That data is plugged
into the fitting mock-up and the numbers are adjusted, if neccessary
for the best (for this process) possible fit.