CycleBanter.com

-   Unicycling (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Tire Liners? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=83203)

Erin February 17th 05 05:14 PM

Tire Liners?

I used to use these when I commuted on two wheels. Recently when I had
a flat on my BA I remembered tire liners and installed one, along with a
new tube, on my 29'er wheel. So far so good.

Now I'm thinking of putting a similar liner in my road tire wheel set.

Anyone else use tire liners and, if so, are they working for you?

--
Erin - Onewheeler

Ride more, with less.
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

Erin February 18th 05 12:39 AM

So what's with the 'slime'.....do you goop it into your tube or between
tire and tube somehow....? :confused:

john_childs February 18th 05 12:52 AM

Erin wrote:
*So what's with the 'slime'.....do you goop it into your tube or
between tire and tube somehow....? :confused: *

The Slime goes inside the tube. You remove the valve core. Squirt the
Slime inside the tube. Replace the valve core. Then pump up the tire
normally.

I've never actually used it myself. I've also never used a tire liner.
I don't ride in areas that have thorns or other extreme puncture hazards
so I've never felt the need for extra puncture protection.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com

U-Turn February 18th 05 02:35 AM

The shop buzz was that Slime didn't really work that well and ended up
globbing up and debalancing your wheel.

A long while ago I was having flats on my road bike and bought a pair of
Kevlar tread tires (700 x 23). A little heavy, and kindof expensive,
but I haven't had a flat since. Since I'm not racing, I never notice
the weight, but I definitely notice not walking home in riding shoes.

--
U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton