CycleBanter.com

-   -   Question Red Wellgo Look-compatible cleats (model RC-5, 9-degreesof lateral float adjustment) (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=252129)

[email protected] February 23rd 17 09:24 PM

Question Red Wellgo Look-compatible cleats (model RC-5, 9-degreesof lateral float adjustment)

What is the little alan head bolt for in the middle of the cleat, which is surrounded by what looks like a rubber grommet, and how are you supposed to adjust it?

The instructions don't mention anything about this little bolt, but the grommet-looking thing around it has a "+" and a "-" embossed in it, indicating that it is supposed to be adjusted(?)

I thought it might be to adjust the force necessary for pedal release, but of course the pedal itself already has an adjustment for that, so it didn't seem logical to have two identical modes of adjusting pedal release force.

Thanks, everyone.

AMuzi February 23rd 17 10:18 PM

On 2/23/2017 3:24 PM, wrote:
What is the little alan head bolt for in the middle of the cleat, which is surrounded by what looks like a rubber grommet, and how are you supposed to adjust it?

The instructions don't mention anything about this little bolt, but the grommet-looking thing around it has a "+" and a "-" embossed in it, indicating that it is supposed to be adjusted(?)

I thought it might be to adjust the force necessary for pedal release, but of course the pedal itself already has an adjustment for that, so it didn't seem logical to have two identical modes of adjusting pedal release force.

Thanks, everyone.

The little rubber thingy in the center is expertly designed
to keep you from falling on your ass when you stop to buy
refreshments in a store with linoleum floors. The Look
version is square, yours is round. The added value feature
of model RC-05 is a height adjustment screw for the rubber
thingy.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

David Scheidt February 24th 17 02:20 AM

:
: The instructions don't mention anything about this little bolt, but the grommet-looking thing around it has a "+" and a "-" embossed in it, indicating that it is supposed to be adjusted(?)
:
: I thought it might be to adjust the force necessary for pedal release, but of course the pedal itself already has an adjustment for that, so it didn't seem logical to have two identical modes of adjusting pedal release force.
:
: Thanks, everyone.
:

:The little rubber thingy in the center is expertly designed
:to keep you from falling on your ass when you stop to buy
:refreshments in a store with linoleum floors. The Look

So, a couple months ago, I was at the grocery store. There was a guy
in racer drag, including shoes like this, buying groceries. Not too
unusual. We left at the same time; I saw him get into his car (no
bike rack) and drive away.

--
sig 65

[email protected] February 24th 17 03:05 AM

Question Red Wellgo Look-compatible cleats (model RC-5,9-degrees of lateral float adjustment)

So Andrew, do you mean that I am supposed to adjust the height of the little rubber button so it protrudes proud of the rest of the cleat, giving me better traction while walking?

AMuzi February 24th 17 07:11 PM

On 2/23/2017 9:05 PM, wrote:
So Andrew, do you mean that I am supposed to adjust the height of the little rubber button so it protrudes proud of the rest of the cleat, giving me better traction while walking?

Yes, until/unless it hits the pedal body, preventing snappy
engagement. That's why it's adjustable.