CycleBanter.com

-   -   There IS a way (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=255446)

Doug Landau February 3rd 18 07:04 PM

There IS a way

There IS a way. For the loaded tourist to make it from Pinnacles to Coalinga on CA-198. There is no water. If you knock on the door of ranches and ask, they tell you 'We don't drink the water' and cheerfully hand you a couple of small bottles, for which you thank them profusely, then gulp down, leaving you still out of water.
I made it up to the pass on my 2nd attempt. But was out of water with 35 miles to go and worried. I started back to King City. halfway back down, the way stopped introduced himself.
He is the cowboy at the Peach Tree Ranch. A 45,000 acre cattle ranch, he points out. "I've been haulin cyclists up to the top of the grade since '69.." said he.

Thank You.

Joerg[_2_] February 3rd 18 09:25 PM

There IS a way

On 2018-02-03 11:04, Doug Landau wrote:
There IS a way. For the loaded tourist to make it from Pinnacles to
Coalinga on CA-198. There is no water. If you knock on the door of
ranches and ask, they tell you 'We don't drink the water' and
cheerfully hand you a couple of small bottles, for which you thank
them profusely, then gulp down, leaving you still out of water. I
made it up to the pass on my 2nd attempt. But was out of water with
35 miles to go and worried. I started back to King City. halfway
back down, the way stopped introduced himself. He is the cowboy at
the Peach Tree Ranch. A 45,000 acre cattle ranch, he points out.
"I've been haulin cyclists up to the top of the grade since '69."
said he.

Thank You.

This is why I immediately equip any bike I buy with racks, panniers et
cetera. On the MTB I can easily carry 1-1/2 gallons, and sometimes do.
Another gallon if I'd wear the hydration pack which I don't like to
wear, at least not on hot days. Plus a 16oz stainless container with
homemade IPA in the top trunk if suitable.

Often some of my water ends up in other riders' bottles because they ...
ran out.

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy4.JPG

The panniers are identical between road bike and MTB, making sudden
changes in vehicle choice a matter of seconds. The mounting plate I made
for the top trunk makes that transferable as well if needed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/