CycleBanter.com

-   Racing (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Races and TV (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=254324)

Tom Kunich[_4_] July 27th 17 02:48 PM

The Races and TV

How is it that we have games like soccer on main stations and yet we have to buy coverage of the Tour? And there are endless lesser races that are probably a lot more exciting and more challenging as one day events and that only way you can get them is through even more special purchases if at all?

Does any one here really believe that cycle racing is so obscure that there are too few demands for it to be on TV?

Gerrit 't Hart July 28th 17 04:01 AM

The Races and TV

On 27/07/2017 9:48 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
How is it that we have games like soccer on main stations and yet we have to buy coverage of the Tour? And there are endless lesser races that are probably a lot more exciting and more challenging as one day events and that only way you can get them is through even more special purchases if at all?

Does any one here really believe that cycle racing is so obscure that there are too few demands for it to be on TV?

The Tour was on free to air TV here in Australia, and has been for many
years.

Tom Kunich[_4_] July 28th 17 03:14 PM

The Races and TV

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 8:01:45 PM UTC-7, Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
On 27/07/2017 9:48 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
How is it that we have games like soccer on main stations and yet we have to buy coverage of the Tour? And there are endless lesser races that are probably a lot more exciting and more challenging as one day events and that only way you can get them is through even more special purchases if at all?

Does any one here really believe that cycle racing is so obscure that there are too few demands for it to be on TV?

The Tour was on free to air TV here in Australia, and has been for many
years.

Once upon a time before Lance was caught and blamed for every ill in the sport we had TdF coverage on the main networks here as well. But not it's only on pay for play NBC sports network.

But the Vuelta is yet another special package and the spring classics yet another special package.