CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Embarrasing bike pants question (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=85792)

[email protected] March 27th 05 07:50 PM

Embarrasing bike pants question

Do I need a jock or cup under bicycle shorts. If I go naked I get the
David Lee Roth effect -- big time, pardon the pun. Even with a jock ...
Are the pants just too small then?

[email protected] March 27th 05 08:14 PM

They're called "pickle pants" for a reason. If you're embarassed put a
sock in there to increase the bulge.

maxo March 27th 05 09:35 PM

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:50:26 -0800, miscellaneousmedia wrote:

Do I need a jock or cup under bicycle shorts. If I go naked I get the
David Lee Roth effect -- big time, pardon the pun. Even with a jock ...
Are the pants just too small then?

could be or perhaps you just need to get used to them. You can get special
undershorts made from nice wicking material that fit bike shorts nicely
and increase your emotional comfort level.

I've had a guy yell at me (I'm in the southern US) "Does your momma know
you wear them shorts?" from a front porch of a shotgun shack. I took it as
a compliment. :P

[email protected] March 27th 05 09:46 PM

Fortunately I have the opposite problem. I'm walking around like I have
a zucchini in my pants. I don't see this only other bikers. How do they
hide it?

[email protected] March 27th 05 09:47 PM

So, a jock is not the answer?

Matt O'Toole March 27th 05 10:13 PM

wrote:

Do I need a jock or cup under bicycle shorts. If I go naked I get the
David Lee Roth effect -- big time, pardon the pun. Even with a jock
... Are the pants just too small then?

If things are feeling squished then yes, they're too small. The whole idea of
bike shorts is to eliminate extra layers and seams, which could cause chafe.
However, while they should be form fitting, they definately shouldn't feel
tight.

Matt O.

RonSonic March 28th 05 12:14 AM

On 27 Mar 2005 12:47:16 -0800, wrote:

So, a jock is not the answer?

Uh, no.

Buying black shorts, and black shorts only helps. Male cyclists should only wear
black shorts and only black shorts. You probably aren't making as proud a
statement as you think, anyway.

Properly fitted black shorts don't present too sharp an outline as it is.

Ron
PS: stick with the black shorts.

S o r n i March 28th 05 12:42 AM

RonSonic wrote:
On 27 Mar 2005 12:47:16 -0800, wrote:

So, a jock is not the answer?

Uh, no.

Buying black shorts, and black shorts only helps. Male cyclists
should only wear black shorts and only black shorts. You probably
aren't making as proud a statement as you think, anyway.

Properly fitted black shorts don't present too sharp an outline as it
is.

Ron
PS: stick with the black shorts.

So Ron, what color shorts do you recommend?

Chris Neary March 28th 05 12:57 AM

So Ron, what color shorts do you recommend?

Not red.

REF: http://www.davezilla.com/index.php?p=126

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

Claire Petersky March 28th 05 01:47 AM

"Chris Neary" wrote in message
So Ron, what color shorts do you recommend?

Not red.

May I also argue against silver? My husband had a pair of silver bib shorts.
I did a metric century with him in the rain, and the bike he was riding
didn't have fenders. A great deal of muddy water got kicked up on to the
rear of his shorts. Not only did the silver fabric turn transparent, but the
mud looked like...well...it was not a pretty picture.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist: