CycleBanter.com

-   -   Cup & Cone Bottom Brackets - Any Sources? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=181547)

Hands Of Stone March 25th 08 11:29 AM

Cup & Cone Bottom Brackets - Any Sources?

I am looking for a source for high-quality conventional cup & cone BBs
(JIS square taper). Ritchey used to still make some but they are no
longer shown on his site. Any ideas?

landotter March 25th 08 01:09 PM

On Mar 25, 6:29*am, Hands Of Stone wrote:
I am looking for a source for high-quality conventional cup & cone BBs
(JIS square taper). *Ritchey used to still make some but they are no
longer shown on his site. *Any ideas?

Any particular reason a cartridge BB won't work for you? FWIW--I
believe the new version house brand square taper BB at Nashbar is
being made by RPM in Taiwan and has an aluminum lock ring. Well made
and a steal at $15.

Gary Young March 25th 08 01:18 PM

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 04:29:35 -0700, Hands Of Stone wrote:

I am looking for a source for high-quality conventional cup & cone BBs
(JIS square taper). Ritchey used to still make some but they are no
longer shown on his site. Any ideas?

Icycleusa.com has some of the Ritchey spindles:

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...t/default.asp?
CS=icycles&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=452449977&Count2= 369590401&CategoryID=42&Target=products.asp

[email protected] March 25th 08 02:04 PM

On Mar 25, 7:29*am, Hands Of Stone wrote:
I am looking for a source for high-quality conventional cup & cone BBs
(JIS square taper). *Ritchey used to still make some but they are no
longer shown on his site. *Any ideas?

have a look:
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-315905.html

Donald Gillies March 25th 08 06:34 PM

Hands Of Stone writes:

I am looking for a source for high-quality conventional cup & cone BBs
(JIS square taper). Ritchey used to still make some but they are no
longer shown on his site. Any ideas?

I don't think that anyone is making 'high quality' cup-and-cone
BB spindles any more. High quality cups can be easily sourced from
harris cyclery or biketoolsetc or through any QBC bike shop.

A high-quality BB spindle is hollow chromoly, and accepts M8 bolts.

A low-quality BB spindle is solid and nutted, aka the sugino maxy
series with the funny letter-based size-codes.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

datakoll March 25th 08 06:55 PM

Cup & Cone Bottom Brackets - Any Sources?

try loosescrews, biketoolsect, universal cycles, EPDI, Jenson, Harris
Cyclery

Shimano makes a set as does Pyramid-see J&B Importers

there are chrome moly spindles if urine too that kinda thing

Hank March 25th 08 10:26 PM

On Mar 25, 6:09*am, landotter wrote:
On Mar 25, 6:29*am, Hands Of Stone wrote:

I am looking for a source for high-quality conventional cup & cone BBs
(JIS square taper). *Ritchey used to still make some but they are no
longer shown on his site. *Any ideas?

Any particular reason a cartridge BB won't work for you? FWIW--I
believe the new version house brand square taper BB at Nashbar is
being made by RPM in Taiwan and has an aluminum lock ring. Well made
and a steal at $15.

I bought one 2 weeks ago (for $10!) and it is indeed MUCH nicer than I
expected. Alloy cups, very smooth bearings, very little seal drag.
Made by TH Industries, AKA RPM, as you say. I'd intended on stealing
the Truvativ out of another bike and using the Nashbar to replace it
when I built my new CX, but this turned out to be the nicer part. I
was quite impressed.

datakoll March 25th 08 10:56 PM

Cup & Cone Bottom Brackets - Any Sources?

..

YEAH GET THE CARTRIDGE ride like Allworth
take a look at the winter sale items-terramar balaclava and mid
weight Nbar tights a steal.
but wash carefully before wearing. Mex aren't rinsing after dyed cloth

Hands Of Stone March 26th 08 06:48 PM

Cup & Cone Bottom Brackets - Any Sources?

On Mar 25, 6:09*am, landotter wrote:
On Mar 25, 6:29*am, Hands Of Stone wrote:

I am looking for a source for high-quality conventional cup & cone BBs
(JIS square taper). *Ritchey used to still make some but they are no
longer shown on his site. *Any ideas?

Any particular reason a cartridge BB won't work for you? FWIW--I
believe the new version house brand square taper BB at Nashbar is
being made by RPM in Taiwan and has an aluminum lock ring. Well made
and a steal at $15.

No, I have nothing against cartridge. I just like everything about
the old-school BBs (except for the fixed cup): I run'em cageless with
a few extra balls, regrease and replace bearings (cheaply) when
needed, plus I like being able to adjust the bearings. Why fix what
ain't broke? Having said that, I may go with your idea as I am always
a sucker for a good deal.

Hands Of Stone March 26th 08 06:52 PM

On Mar 25, 3:56*pm, datakoll wrote:
.

YEAH GET THE CARTRIDGE ride like Allworth
take a look at the winter sale items-terramar *balaclava and mid
weight Nbar tights a steal.
but wash carefully before wearing. Mex aren't rinsing after dyed cloth

Ha ha - get a free rash with every purchase? Good advice. I did
manange to find a NOS Lightspeed TItanium BB (cartridge, still in the
box, and unused, from 1990!) in my parts bins. But it's almost too
crazy-light for me to trust....