CycleBanter.com

-   -   Bianchi Celeste Paint Color Code (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=15202)

Paul Southworth July 9th 03 08:37 PM

Bianchi Celeste Paint Color Code

In article ,
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" wrote in message
Celeste is a patented color.

How does one patent a color?

Patenting its production process is probably the only way.
I think Chris really means 'trade secret'.

In any event, there are no color codes for Celeste because
unlike the auto industry (for example) Bianchi has no need
to share color information with body shops and no need for
consistency either.

--Paul

Chris Zacho The Wheelman July 10th 03 12:43 AM

Bianchi Celeste Paint Color Code

John=A0Forrest=A0Tomlinson Asked:

How does one patent a color?

JT

I gues the same way Harley Davidson patened a sound. I don't know if HD
succedde4d in that or not. But i do know that Celeste is a patented (or
is it copyrighted?) color. No one else can use it for profit.

May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!
Chris

Chris'Z Corner
"The Website for the Common Bicyclist":
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Andy M-S July 10th 03 12:28 PM

Bianchi Celeste Paint Color Code

(Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote in message ...
John Forrest Tomlinson Asked:

How does one patent a color?

JT

I gues the same way Harley Davidson patened a sound. I don't know if HD
succedde4d in that or not. But i do know that Celeste is a patented (or
is it copyrighted?) color. No one else can use it for profit.

Interesting. Last summer, a friend of mine bought a brand-new
Cannondale road bike that sure looked like celeste. And of course,
there IS considerable variation in the color. And I've seen others
besides Bianchi use the TERM 'celeste' to refer to their
color(s)--which are usually a good deal bluer than Bianchi's...

Jasper Janssen July 10th 03 01:11 PM

Bianchi Celeste Paint Color Code

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 19:37:41 GMT, (Paul
Southworth) wrote:
In article ,
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" wrote in message
Celeste is a patented color.

How does one patent a color?

Patenting its production process is probably the only way.
I think Chris really means 'trade secret'.

Yeah, if it was patented, it'd be available at the patent office.

****. The IBM patents website has disappeared, and now you have to pay to
access it. Dammit.

Jasper

JTHouse July 10th 03 01:56 PM

Bianchi Celeste Paint Color Code

Did you know you can buy celeste paint right from Bianchi's web site?
(www.bianchiusa.com, click on 'store.')

Stergios Papadakis July 10th 03 04:19 PM

Bianchi Celeste Paint Color Code

Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson Asked:

How does one patent a color?

JT

I gues the same way Harley Davidson patened a sound. I don't know if HD
succedde4d in that or not. But i do know that Celeste is a patented (or
is it copyrighted?) color. No one else can use it for profit.

It is probably trademarked, not patented.

The Owens Corning house insulation pink color
is trademarked.

Stergios

Jim Edgar July 10th 03 05:12 PM

Bianchi Celeste Paint Color Code

Andy M-S at wrote on 7/10/03 4:28 AM:

snipped But i do know that Celeste is a patented (or
is it copyrighted?) color. No one else can use it for profit.

Interesting. Last summer, a friend of mine bought a brand-new
Cannondale road bike that sure looked like celeste.

The key phrase in Chriz's claim would be "for profit". I don't believe
Cannondale has managed that... ;^)

-- Jim

Jim Edgar July 10th 03 05:15 PM

Bianchi Celeste Paint Color Code

Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" at wrote on 7/9/03 4:43
PM:

I gues the same way Harley Davidson patened a sound. I don't know if HD
succedde4d in that or not.

Er.. _attempted_ to patent a sound. They were unsuccessful.

But i do know that Celeste is a patented (or
is it copyrighted?) color. No one else can use it for profit.

That's a pretty broad claim. Would love to see the facts upon which it is
based.

-- Jim

Stergios Papadakis July 10th 03 07:23 PM

"Stergios Papadakis" wrote in message
It is probably trademarked, not patented.

The Owens Corning house insulation pink color
is trademarked.

I find that very hard to believe. Trademarks are typically phrases or
symbols. I am extremely doubtful that a color alone (without a word
or shape associated with it) could be trademarked. Do you have any
evidence about the pink color being trademarked?

JT

www.owenscorning.com/worldwide/admin/
tempupload/pdf.OC_ThermalWall_E.pdf

Read the fine print at the bottom.
I learned this at an intellectual property and trademark
seminar. They did say that it is highly unusual for a
color to be trademarked.

Stergios

John Forrest Tomlinson July 10th 03 07:55 PM

Bianchi Celeste Paint Color Code

"Stergios Papadakis" wrote in message
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

www.owenscorning.com/worldwide/admin/
tempupload/pdf.OC_ThermalWall_E.pdf

Read the fine print at the bottom.
I learned this at an intellectual property and trademark
seminar. They did say that it is highly unusual for a
color to be trademarked.

Thanks.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged